Sponsored by:

997.1 mod. Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 01:10 PM
Chuck3420
Track Day

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 997.1 mod. Advice

Hello all, I am new to the porsche family and new to the forum. I recently bought a 2006 C4S with a Borla cat back exhaust. The car is good and the sound is good but would like a little more punch at the low to mid range if the rpm's, and wouldn't mind a little more noise ou the back.
I just purchased a Flat 6 Cold air intake elbow, Racing Dynamic headers. And I am about to purchase a GT3 throttle body and a IPD plenum. I would am looking for opinions on this. Next I was thinking of a softtronic flash to tune it all together. What's everyone's thoughts? Appreciate the advice.
The following users liked this post:
RobPosha (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 01:30 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The NA engines are meant to be rung out to 7k rpm. You've spent the money to make some noise, but there's not much you can do to get low-end, other than the cliche, "sell it and buy a turbo."
Chuck3420 (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 02:11 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 270 Posts

What he said. These are high revving engines. Below 4k there ain't much. But get the car up in the RPM band where is was designed to be run, and all those mods will come to life and give you all the engine has to offer...

Cw
Chuck3420 (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 02:52 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 794 Likes on 447 Posts

The IPD plenum may or may not add the HP/TQ numbers it claims. To me, it sure as hell feels like they do. Regardless, the competition plenum with the GT3 throttle body and their intake tube/helmholtz block off it gives the feel of added low to midrange TQ similar to a more mellow version of the sport button being on. With the sport button on, it gives even more of that feel to the point of nervousness in normal driving situations but feels appropriate when driving hard for a little extra sauce. The ability to quantify that into numbers is a contentious subject but the feel is pretty clear between stock and once you have added the IPD kit. I have had my kit for a week now. I have done some daily driving as well as a few late night higher speed highway runs and a canyon run.

I feel all NA cars are not that different to when I was a teenager with an B13 SE-R or an EK Civic. If you free up your intake side and exhaust side you will gain some HP/TQ. A lot of the time, this is just in the upper ranges but it also fattens out the curve overall in a way that I would say to most people is just audibly perceivable. So, if you do an intake through the TB and plenum + headers/cats or lack of cats/exhaust, your car will sound a lot louder but it may be that only a pro driver would notice the changes in a real world sense. Dynos vary per user and dyno, so it is hard to say.

Last, when I am driving in the canyons, the car's sweet spot is sitting around 5k as mentioned above. On slower parts, I am in 2nd sitting just below or above 5k for explosive power with a ton of grip. On faster parts, I am in the same range but in 3rd gear. To me, that is where you really feel the magic of these cars. As far as daily driving goes, I find the car as pleasant as a MT car could be in HWY and City traffic depending on the quality of the roads.

In relation to the IPD 5k or so is where it makes the intake noise straight up exotic. It changes the stock sound, which is nice to a banshee like howl of hell hounds. Cops ears will perk up from miles around. Babies will cry. Old women will plug their fingers in their ears. Dogs will howl.
The following 2 users liked this post by jamesinger:
Chuck3420 (03-12-2020), RobPosha (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 03:17 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Butt dyno dreams... I love it...

No getting around the fact that any mod you do will be felt mostly from 4000-7000 rpm. There are lots of discussions about how freeing up the exhaust or adding headers will actually swing or rock the torque curve in to the higher rpm range. I have the EVOMS V-Flow intake, IPD 82mm Competition Plenum, GT3 Throttle body, PSE style exhaust, and Softronic tune. Although my mid range has increased noticeably, my 2006 C4S is still not a low rpm torque monster and never will be by design. Although I still pull harder and faster away from traffic than 95% of the cars around me. My Pcar picks up power much faster now, but the reality is that these engines need to be at 4000 rpm or higher to really be ready for action. No getting around it. I do recommend a Softronic tune when you have all your bolt ons added. The tune will lean out of few of the rich air fuel ratios, increase power, and smooth out the power delivery.

The thing about cars, no matter how fast, is that eventually you get used to the power. It's no wonder that even the 911 Turbo forums are full of discussions about how to add 100 more horsepower to cars that already have 600 hp!!! The quest for more ppppooooowwwwweeerrrrrr never ends!!! But there can still be lot's of fun had with a great car handling car that is engaging to drive and not all about straight line speed.
The following 2 users liked this post by qikqbn:
jamesinger (03-12-2020), RobPosha (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 03:21 PM
Chuck3420
Track Day

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Butt dyno dreams... I love it...

No getting around the fact that any mod you do will be felt mostly from 4000-7000 rpm. There are lots of discussions about how freeing up the exhaust or adding headers will actually swing or rock the torque curve in to the higher rpm range. I have the EVOMS V-Flow intake, IPD 82mm Competition Plenum, GT3 Throttle body, PSE style exhaust, and Softronic tune. Although my mid range has increased noticeably, my 2006 C4S is still not a low rpm torque monster and never will be by design. Although I still pull harder and faster away from traffic than 95% of the cars around me. My Pcar picks up power much faster now, but the reality is that these engines need to be at 4000 rpm or higher to really be ready for action. No getting around it. I do recommend a Softronic tune when you have all your bolt ons added. The tune will lean out of few of the rich air fuel ratios, increase power, and smooth out the power delivery.

The thing about cars, no matter how fast, is that eventually you get used to the power. It's no wonder that even the 911 Turbo forums are full of discussions about how to add 100 more horsepower to cars that already have 600 hp!!! The quest for more ppppooooowwwwweeerrrrrr never ends!!! But there can still be lot's of fun had with a great car handling car that is engaging to drive and not all about straight line speed.
great info, ty
The following 2 users liked this post by Chuck3420:
RobPosha (03-12-2020), sv (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 04:05 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 794 Likes on 447 Posts

@qikqbn I was thinking about this yesterday.

When I am completely honest with myself, the most fun I have had on public roads was in cars that were pretty underpowered (definitely below 250hp) but where the suspension and brakes overpowered the motor.

One recent example is driving my stroked EVO VIII up Angeles Crest, an F80 ZCP up the same road, and a 997.2 GT3 up there as well. All runs were ACH, Big T, Little T, and etc. but usually going up and around Newcomb's. Then, there are cars that I'd done the same trip in before but I am mainly thinking about my 93 SE-R and my 97 Civic Coupe. Both of those cars had some light bolt on mods but were heavily modded suspension and brake wise. For example, the Civic had Coilovers, full hard bushings, all the trimmings (arms/bars/supports/braces...) + stoptech upgraded Integra GSR brakes and wider 15s on aggressive star specs. Darrin, our LA Honda suspension Guru at WestEnd, did the alignment and CB. Driving that car up and down ACH, I was 10/10ths most of the time, just FLAT out but only marginally over the speed limit to the point where a cop would have to want to pull me over to pull me over. I definitely was not crossing the line or putting myself into danger, or others into danger. The car just had sub 150hp, lol. So, I would be FLAT going up, just above the speed limit, and it was SUPER fun! In my EVO, the ZCP M3, or the GT3, to do the same would be to cheat death, put others safety at risk, and to maybe wind up in prison. I thought about this when I was barely using my friend's GT3 on NT01s all the way up to Newcomb's from Pasadena and back down the other side to Tujunga. Both the M3 and GT3 had CCB but both were so overpowered for that situation, I could only imagine ever approaching 10/10ths on WSIR or some other FAST track. In my old SE-R, I was 10/10ths A LOT just because the car had like 140hp stock, lol.

In regards to our Carreras, I talk about the virtues of them a lot. One added virtue is that they are right between something like a Civic and a GT3. I can rip up ACH with some restraint and it is fun. I could easily kill myself or others if I go too far over but I am also not just holding the car back. I do think the C2S as I have it set up currently is perfectly balanced with a bit more emphasis on suspension. The non-track drives on twisty roads is not flat out but it is also not a leisure drive unless at 'arrest me please' speeds. I find that really attractive. This is coming from someone who spent many sleepless nights trying to decide if I wanted to sell my C2S for the above mentioned GT3 and did NOT in the end!
RobPosha (03-12-2020)

Quick Reply: 997.1 mod. Advice