Sponsored by:

997 Still considered a Gem amongst P-car buyers/collectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 12:02 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts
Default 997 Still considered a Gem amongst P-car buyers/collectors

Found this video interesting about P-car prices in 2019 and what to expect for 2020. I always day dream about what Porsche to add next to the garage so I have one eye on the market and prices for air-cooled 993/964 and GT (997 991) car prices.
Interesting video and they still consider the 997 a gem!

I realize our economies can be quite different from across the pond at times, but we have also noticed the GT3 market soften a bit and some specialized models like the 911 R take a big hit after the 991.2 4.0 GT3 Touring came out.

This video is made by the editor of 911 Total Magazine. One of my favorite monthly mags, and it was nice to see the 997 get some recognition.

Last edited by qikqbn; 03-05-2020 at 02:20 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:43 AM
coaldrag413
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 55 Posts

The video is 9:11 long... because of course it is
The following users liked this post:
qikqbn (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 08:23 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 479 Likes on 275 Posts

Thanks for that video........my 911 just keeps getting better and more beautiful as she ages....like a fine wine or a beautiful woman!!

Tom
The following 2 users liked this post by TommyV44:
JustinCase (03-07-2020), qikqbn (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 08:29 AM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 300 Posts

Is that porschebuy guy wearing Porsche Design glasses?
Old 03-06-2020, 09:37 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Carl . . . not a very good expert . . . Other guy nailed it with production numbers on 991 even though he was speaking more in terms of production cars. With the exception of 991 GTS and Turbo, 991 will be second only to 996 for inability to hold value.

The big factor in all of this is whether Gen 1 pdk and Gen 1 9A1s hold up well. If they do, prices will actually hold or rise on the 997.2s with say 40k miles or less. If not, people will move into the 991.2s.

Carl's comment that 993 prices had not really dropped because no one was buying them even at reduced prices. Hello, the a drop in price, a drastic drop in price.

Carl sounded like a mouth piece for Porsche with either no common sense or just having to be politically correct.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:39 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Cool. 997 GTS gets a mention at 4:12.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:15 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 806 Likes on 453 Posts

I am kind of low key looking for a 991.2 GT3 or GT3 touring but I really wouldn't want to get rid of my 997.1 C2S to get one. Its weird but I consider it a perfect car and I would be hard pressed to part with it. Psychologically, I think it'd be hard to daily a 991.2 GT car. The 996 and 997 era GT cars are too intense for me to drive regularly. I know it has been done and can be done, just not by me. Every day when I drive my 997.1 C2S, I think about how perfect it is as a road car. My fantasy was to have a 356 and a GT3 Touring but after 2 and a half years of owning my C2S, I have to come to terms with the fact that it is just perfect for me in every way. It is just such a great car. This comment has less to do with the market and more to do with my own feelings but I do wonder how prices would have an effect on my decision making in this regard as the honeymoon with my C2S has never ended and I find myself loving the car more and more as I continue to own it.
The following 2 users liked this post by jamesinger:
JEHolloway (03-08-2020), qikqbn (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 12:43 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jamesinger
I am kind of low key looking for a 991.2 GT3 or GT3 touring but I really wouldn't want to get rid of my 997.1 C2S to get one. Its weird but I consider it a perfect car and I would be hard pressed to part with it. Psychologically, I think it'd be hard to daily a 991.2 GT car. The 996 and 997 era GT cars are too intense for me to drive regularly. I know it has been done and can be done, just not by me. Every day when I drive my 997.1 C2S, I think about how perfect it is as a road car. My fantasy was to have a 356 and a GT3 Touring but after 2 and a half years of owning my C2S, I have to come to terms with the fact that it is just perfect for me in every way. It is just such a great car. This comment has less to do with the market and more to do with my own feelings but I do wonder how prices would have an effect on my decision making in this regard as the honeymoon with my C2S has never ended and I find myself loving the car more and more as I continue to own it.
One of the reasons I have held on to my C4S for 10 years is because it checks so many boxes for me. Yes, a GT car offers more performance, a bit more excitement, and prestige or pecking order status... but, after driving a few GT cars and even some 991's I started to realize that for what I need and for 90% of the driving I do that my 997 C4S is perfect for me. Also I could not justify the $80-100k price gaps some of my "wild hair" dream cars were asking. The increase in any performance with the newer cars did not necessarily equate to more joy or excitement for me when I actually drove them. Still would like one, but they need to come down in price a bit more for me to feel like it would be worth the cash.
jamesinger (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 01:41 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

^^^ is this maturity?
haha.
A 991.2 GT3 or GT3T would not be a car I would park at work or at Whole Foods. I would not want to leave it parked on the street while I get dinner really either. It shows my risk tolerance. The 997 feels OK to park in most situations. I have always had a car a bit different than the sea of Priuses at work but I think the C2S is not too over the top in the work parking lots. I would not feel comfortable parking any GT car in public really. The attention they garner is off putting to me.
My friend got a 997.2 GT3 around the same time I got my C2S. He realized pretty quickly that it was no fun to drive in daily situations, like LA traffic or dates with the wife (who is not into cars at all). After a year, he put it up for sale and admitted the car was not for him.
I considered his car when it was for sale and took it on a couple 2hr. + drives besides having driven it in more ideal settings up Angeles Crest. My wife even supported the buy but I had to come to the more mature realization that this rattly track car was not for me outside of my dreams. Also, at 45, I wonder how many track days I will do ever really. I used to track once or twice a month but injuries and old age + it just not being fun for me at the competitive level has kept me from the track for the last few years.
Similarly, my friends with Air Cooled cars never daily them and will usually admit to having to take a nap after driving them. They are awesome but just not a practical get around car for most people, myself included.
I have come to terms with the fact that I really like my 997.1 C2S dentist spec (extended leather/bose/18 ways...) with some added spice (GT3 wheels/suspension and a few bolt ons). Adding the 997.1 GT3 suspension made the car just on the other side of sporty from where I want it but I bet with the DSC, that will be quickly amended.
If I only drove canyons and tracks, I would probably have a different mindset but my C2S gets driven to work and then to the canyons. For that reason it is too perfect for me to get rid of to add a garage ornament + a sensible daily.
Last, I had a gnarly track canyon carver EVO + a 2006 Civic Lx sedan snoozer daily. I found that I drove the Civic 99% of the time, and my EVO would get driven so little, I would have to force myself to drive it. Therefore, I am starting to know my real self, and I am not a guy in a youtube video that wakes up at 5am to go up Angeles Crest for solitude. I am also no longer someone who will sleep in a dank disgusting Buttonwillow hotel, or camp at the track to do a few 20 minute sessions with people I do not really like for a whole weekend of virtual solitude just to drive fast. I am a guy who sits in traffic for an hour and a half to work and might hit the canyons once a week or so. That seems chill to me, and my 997.1 C2S is the PERFECT car for that purpose.
Sorry this pulls away from the "market" but I do think this is relevant from the other side of the "market."
The following 6 users liked this post by jamesinger:
admranger (03-19-2020), Fined (03-06-2020), Liste-Renn (03-07-2020), pro1200 (03-07-2020), qikqbn (03-09-2020), TheTorch (03-06-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-06-2020, 02:09 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jamesinger
^^^ is this maturity?
haha.
A 991.2 GT3 or GT3T would not be a car I would park at work or at Whole Foods. I would not want to leave it parked on the street while I get dinner really either. It shows my risk tolerance. The 997 feels OK to park in most situations. I have always had a car a bit different than the sea of Priuses at work but I think the C2S is not too over the top in the work parking lots. I would not feel comfortable parking any GT car in public really. The attention they garner is off putting to me.
My friend got a 997.2 GT3 around the same time I got my C2S. He realized pretty quickly that it was no fun to drive in daily situations, like LA traffic or dates with the wife (who is not into cars at all). After a year, he put it up for sale and admitted the car was not for him.
I considered his car when it was for sale and took it on a couple 2hr. + drives besides having driven it in more ideal settings up Angeles Crest. My wife even supported the buy but I had to come to the more mature realization that this rattly track car was not for me outside of my dreams. Also, at 45, I wonder how many track days I will do ever really. I used to track once or twice a month but injuries and old age + it just not being fun for me at the competitive level has kept me from the track for the last few years.
Similarly, my friends with Air Cooled cars never daily them and will usually admit to having to take a nap after driving them. They are awesome but just not a practical get around car for most people, myself included.
I have come to terms with the fact that I really like my 997.1 C2S dentist spec (extended leather/bose/18 ways...) with some added spice (GT3 wheels/suspension and a few bolt ons). Adding the 997.1 GT3 suspension made the car just on the other side of sporty from where I want it but I bet with the DSC, that will be quickly amended.
If I only drove canyons and tracks, I would probably have a different mindset but my C2S gets driven to work and then to the canyons. For that reason it is too perfect for me to get rid of to add a garage ornament + a sensible daily.
Last, I had a gnarly track canyon carver EVO + a 2006 Civic Lx sedan snoozer daily. I found that I drove the Civic 99% of the time, and my EVO would get driven so little, I would have to force myself to drive it. Therefore, I am starting to know my real self, and I am not a guy in a youtube video that wakes up at 5am to go up Angeles Crest for solitude. I am also no longer someone who will sleep in a dank disgusting Buttonwillow hotel, or camp at the track to do a few 20 minute sessions with people I do not really like for a whole weekend of virtual solitude just to drive fast. I am a guy who sits in traffic for an hour and a half to work and might hit the canyons once a week or so. That seems chill to me, and my 997.1 C2S is the PERFECT car for that purpose.
Sorry this pulls away from the "market" but I do think this is relevant from the other side of the "market."
hahaha... I am 49 and I think you and I are in a similar "self actualized maturity phase"... I laughed at your Buttonwillow racing comment, I have been there and done that!!! . Although Buttowillow Raceway is still my favorite tracks out of the 3 or 4 closest to me and I do occasionally go with friends, but not so fun on your own. Canyon runs fill my adrenaline needs a couple times a month. I too have just realized what ticks my boxes at this phase in life and I am content at the moment. The wild hair continues to grow back periodically. I am just going to rent one on Turo for a day or go to the Porsche center for an afternoon and pull that wild hair out. In the meantime I will continue to check prices and the trades at least a couple times a week

Last edited by qikqbn; 03-09-2020 at 05:26 AM.
jamesinger (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 02:23 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

997's will always be Gem's because they are wonderful cars regardless of whether they go up or down in value due to productions numbers, collectability and everything else. At the end of the day regardless of any specific model etc ...All 997's are wonderful "drivers" cars not to mention this was an era when Porsche mainly owned Porsche and design was still controlled in house and not by a conglomerate . Styling was spot on in this generation and without the overwhelming electronic BS and (french tickler shifters) we have today ....

A perfect balance of keep it simple stupid and a dash of not trying too hard to attract the masses ... simply an amazing car.

Last edited by rileyracing1; 03-09-2020 at 12:30 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by rileyracing1:
Doug H (03-06-2020), Porto911 (03-09-2020), Vincent713 (03-10-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 04:09 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Catharpin
Is that porschebuy guy wearing Porsche Design glasses?
Proud to say I own many of these items

The following 2 users liked this post by qikqbn:
jamesinger (03-07-2020), ThomasCarreraGTS (03-09-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 05:28 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

^^^ I have the mug!!
The following 2 users liked this post by jamesinger:
qikqbn (03-09-2020), ThomasCarreraGTS (03-09-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 07:02 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 479 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Proud to say I own many of these items

As long as you don't have the ring I think all is good LOL!

Tom
qikqbn (03-09-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 09:41 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts

Forgot the socks.
qikqbn (03-09-2020)

Quick Reply: 997 Still considered a Gem amongst P-car buyers/collectors