Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPI Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 03:34 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,062 Likes on 745 Posts

I would have issues with this. Why would a 15 year old $100,000 car have zero documentation of having been maintained on schedule or maintained/serviced at all? Next, why would the dealership insist on getting a copy of the PPI as a condition of even allowing it? If they're confident they're selling a good, well maintained car I don't see why they would make such a demand. If something comes up on the PPI, mention it to your sales guy, highlight it on the report and let him look at it. Then it goes back in your hands, not the dealer's hands.

Given the complete lack of maintenance/service records you have every right to have the car checked out by a third party and as far as I'm concerned it's non of the dealer's business as long as you pay for it. And what would be the reason for the dealership's demand of getting a copy of the PPI report? If they insist on getting a copy of it for having it done, tell them they can have the report if they pay for it.

The following users liked this post:
TheMurse (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 08:36 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,313 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I would have issues with this. ...., why would the dealership insist on getting a copy of the PPI as a condition of even allowing it?

.....it's non of the dealer's business as long as you pay for it. And what would be the reason for the dealership's demand of getting a copy of the PPI report? If they insist on getting a copy of it for having it done, tell them they can have the report if they pay for it.
I do not disagree with the sentiment at all, but it's the dealer's car. They can do what they want. If they want the ppi report and want it for free, they can set that demand. If you want the car, then you get to decide whether to meet that demand. You do not get to dictate terms to the dealer, because it is their car. If you want it, you play by their rules. If you don't like their rules, then go somewhere else. Is it good or fair? Not the point. Of course, you can both try to negotiate how it will play out, and that's what you should do.

I remember looking at a Shelby Mustang a few years back at a dealership. I wanted to take it for a test drive, but the salesman said no - dealer policy. I said he must be kidding - I'm a late 50's guy (not some tire smoking teenager) with cash ready to buy right now. He said sorry. I talked to his boss - same answer. I said FU for wasting my time and walked. The car sold to somebody else, and I got what I wanted somewhere else. That's commerce.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:51 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

I agree with the above, but I also have a different perspective. The dealer owns the car, they paid for the car in order to get it. The potential owner owns the PPI report. They paid in order to get it.

At the same time, I simply wouldn't purchase a 997 without service records of some kind.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:09 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,098 Likes on 596 Posts

Give it to them. Who cares. If you buy, you know what's up and buy as-is or negotiate. If you walk on the car there is a faint glimmer of hope that they will do the right thing with the information and either be honest about it with the next customer or make the corrective repairs. I said FAINT glimmer. If it's a Porsche dealership my experience has been that they won't do a damn thing about it.

If you pass for a REAL REASON I would post the VIN and dealership name on the 997 "deals around the web" thread so warn off other Rennlisters.

The following 2 users liked this post by Upscale Audio:
PierW (02-28-2020), TheMurse (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 09:21 AM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 116 Posts

Dealership takes a risk on a ppi. Car leaves shop, might get damaged, also in doing inspection, shop can damage car. Many dealerships will not allow ppi, or only on site "visual inspection." If they allow ppi, its their rules. Many decent shops will take the ppi if you pass and fix obvious things or you can show them and say, I will buy if you fix X.
Using the carfax, you can sometime get service history by its location and vin. Some dealers will tell you if they worked on a car. In my car I found some old service records in the glove box. Try tracking down former owner, some glad to talk about their old cars (if it has nav look at home address if not removed, I once called the only number in a car I purchased and got the owner's ex. Besides getting his name I got a tale of a restraining order...). Use the IMS database to see if work has been done (I see that this is an "s" so less likely).

Good luck
TheMurse (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 09:59 AM
PierW
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Murse, I think we are likely twin brothers from different mothers. I too have looked and dreamed and wished and finally pulled the trigger on a 997.1. C4S Cab and still grin uncontrollably every time I turn the key in the ignition. I'm thrilled for you that you are ready to begin the journey!!

That being said, I can see both sides of this story. However, if the dealer is allowing the PPI, I don't think they are concerned about damage occurring in transport, or they would simply say "no". I tend to agree with the position that if you purchase the car, there is no need for them to have it and that would be my response to their stipulation, or perhaps a modification. If you don't buy it, or use it to negotiate repairs or reduction in price, then you provide it. With my purchase last year, I absolutely shared the PPI with the (private) seller. While she disagreed with a couple of points, it was overall very accurate and pointed out what are primarily cosmetic/non-mechanical issues that are to be expected from a 12 year old vehicle with 80K+ on the clock. But I purchased it to be a driver, not a garage queen. It's nearly my DD and I didn't need it to be pristine, I needed it to run well and be reliable.

But as everyone above has indicated, the choice is yours as to whether you want to play their game, walk away, or negotiate an alternative. Either way, best of luck to you on this vehicle, or perhaps something even better that is right around the corner!
Old 02-28-2020, 12:02 PM
TheMurse
Racer

Received 617 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
I agree with the above, but I also have a different perspective. The dealer owns the car, they paid for the car in order to get it. The potential owner owns the PPI report. They paid in order to get it.

At the same time, I simply wouldn't purchase a 997 without service records of some kind.
The car fax indicates two prior owners and I plan to reach out to both of the dealers that have previously serviced the car. But the complete lack of documentation is a big red flag.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:08 PM
TheMurse
Racer

Received 617 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by PierW
Murse, I think we are likely twin brothers from different mothers. I too have looked and dreamed and wished and finally pulled the trigger on a 997.1. C4S Cab and still grin uncontrollably every time I turn the key in the ignition. I'm thrilled for you that you are ready to begin the journey!!

That being said, I can see both sides of this story. However, if the dealer is allowing the PPI, I don't think they are concerned about damage occurring in transport, or they would simply say "no". I tend to agree with the position that if you purchase the car, there is no need for them to have it and that would be my response to their stipulation, or perhaps a modification. If you don't buy it, or use it to negotiate repairs or reduction in price, then you provide it. With my purchase last year, I absolutely shared the PPI with the (private) seller. While she disagreed with a couple of points, it was overall very accurate and pointed out what are primarily cosmetic/non-mechanical issues that are to be expected from a 12 year old vehicle with 80K+ on the clock. But I purchased it to be a driver, not a garage queen. It's nearly my DD and I didn't need it to be pristine, I needed it to run well and be reliable.

But as everyone above has indicated, the choice is yours as to whether you want to play their game, walk away, or negotiate an alternative. Either way, best of luck to you on this vehicle, or perhaps something even better that is right around the corner!
That permagrin in your C4S Cab, I know just what you mean, I've been waiting for my own since the first time I rode in a family friend's 930 back in 1986. Been waiting to have my own basically all my life!

The dealer knows the indy who will be doing the PPI and they're not located close to each other, they made no objection so I think you're right about damage. I'll play the game but ultimately if I pay for the PPI I choose what to do with it.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:13 PM
karl1672
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kind of like buying a house. You pay for an appraisal and inspection. They're both yours unless there's something you can use to your advantage. Seller's don't expect to get them unless there's something in the inspection (or appraisal) that you want to negotiate.
The following 2 users liked this post by karl1672:
TheMurse (02-28-2020), TheTorch (02-28-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 03:23 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,062 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by mjposner
Dealership takes a risk on a ppi. Car leaves shop, might get damaged, also in doing inspection, shop can damage car. Many dealerships will not allow ppi, or only on site "visual inspection." If they allow ppi, its their rules. Many decent shops will take the ppi if you pass and fix obvious things or you can show them and say, I will buy if you fix X.
I don't disagree but dealers take a risk in a lot of ways by putting a car up for sale to begin with. A lot of potential buyers insist on a test drive and many of them aren't even close to being in a financial position to buy the car in the first place. It's a joy ride but how do you weed those out from serious buyers without the possibility of insulting them?

I sell real estate and once sold a $6,000,000 Gulf front house to a guy who could nearly have passed as a homeless man. Pulled up in a beat up pick up truck, flip flops and a t shirt with blood all over it. "Just got back from fishing" was part of the introduction. The way he communicated made all the difference though. Had a cash contract two days later.

If I owned the dealership I would worry much more about these test drives than a trip to a third party PPI facility, all paid for by the customer. If the dealer is that worried about damage to their car going through the PPI process, why did they buy a 15 year old car with a complete lack of any maintenance and service records? But as you say, it's their car so they can have an employee drive the car to the PPI location chosen by the potential buyer if that's how they want to play it.

Given the dealer's attitude, the lack of any and all maint.records and conditions insisted on, I would probably keep on looking,

Old 02-29-2020, 03:23 PM
dr bob
Chronic Tool Dropper
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 549 Likes on 412 Posts

Devil's Advocate...

When I have had a PPI done at a commercial place, part of the deal from them is that it's for my use only. It's stated up front in the contract for service. Be sure to state to the seller that any sharing with them is subject to the T&C's from the inspecting shop. If they stipulate that it's for you only, you need to honor that. Usually OK to show it to the seller, but no copies.
TheMurse (03-02-2020)

Quick Reply: PPI Advice