Sponsored by:

Found fine black powder in oil filter medium

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 10:16 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Found fine black powder in oil filter medium

Changed my oil today. 2005 C2S with about 80000 miles. Been using DT40 for a few years. About 3300 miles (1.5 years; car was laid up about a year) on this oil change. Opened the oil filter case to inspect the oil filter medium. Saw a lot of fine black (oil soaked, of course) powder in the creases of the filter medium. More than I've seen in the past. I've attached two pics here.

What do you think? Source? Cause for alarm? Needs immediate diagnosis/correction?

Old 02-07-2020, 10:20 PM
laphan
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jchapura
Changed my oil today. 2005 C2S with about 80000 miles. Been using DT40 for a few years. Opened the oil filter case to inspect the oil filter medium. Saw a lot of fine black (oil soaked, of course) powder in the creases of the filter medium. More than I've seen in the past. I've attached two pics here.

What do you think? Source? Cause for alarm? Needs immediate diagnosis/correction?

ferrous or non ferrous? Can you run a magnet to check?...
Old 02-07-2020, 10:26 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by laphan
ferrous or non ferrous? Can you run a magnet to check?...
Non-ferrous.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:23 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,152 Likes on 731 Posts

Chain guide???
Old 02-08-2020, 09:36 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Take the large collection of it from that one pleat out and try to clean it up - maybe brake cleanser and a coffee filter. Need to determine if it's finely ground metal or plastic as it actually looks like mud, like maybe a dirt dobber got in through an open exhaust valve and made a mud next in the motor during the year and a half layup.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:14 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
...maybe a dirt dobber got in through an open exhaust valve and made a mud next...
That's an interesting theory because we definitely have those critters around here and coincidentally the color of my debris is freakishly close to their mud houses.
Here's what I did. I used a wash bottle with lacquer thinner and washed about 1/2 the medium's debris into a clean glass container. Decanted it once. Washed it again. Decanted it. Let the solvent evaporate a little bit and scooped a couple of screwdriver tip's worth onto a clean paper towel. It was still a little wet as you can see by the staining on the paper towel. Picture is attached. The clumps are easily pulverized. The color is brown-reddish-brown.

PS: I think I'll get the Durametric out and measure the cam (angle) deviations...

Old 02-08-2020, 04:19 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,119 Posts

That's an interesting theory because we definitely have those critters around here and coincidentally the color of my debris is freakishly close to their mud houses.
Here's what I did. I used a wash bottle with lacquer thinner and washed about 1/2 the medium's debris into a clean glass container. Decanted it once. Washed it again. Decanted it. Let the solvent evaporate a little bit and scooped a couple of screwdriver tip's worth onto a clean paper towel. It was still a little wet as you can see by the staining on the paper towel. Picture is attached. The clumps are easily pulverized. The color is brown-reddish-brown.

PS: I think I'll get the Durametric out and measure the cam (angle) deviations...
It's just some espresso grounds in there. You're ok.

Old 02-08-2020, 04:46 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ironman88
It's just some espresso grounds in there. You're ok.
A few years ago, I would have said "impossible" since I wasn't a big coffee drinker. But now...
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (02-08-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 07:49 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Are any of those pieces hard like plastic or are they mushy like mud? Hard plastic is tensioner guide material. Soft like mud, might actually be mud.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:43 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Are any of those pieces hard like plastic or are they mushy like mud? Hard plastic is tensioner guide material. Soft like mud, might actually be mud.
Every filter debris chunk I've smushed was easily reduce to mixed-coarse-fine powder. I found a mud dauber egg jobber in my garage and took a sample and pulverized it in the same way as the filter debris. It's the sample with the blue arrow. They look pretty similar.
Could dauber egg house material gotten passed the rings and into the oil system?

After warm-up:
Camshaft deviation, bank 1 -0.9844
Camshaft deviation, bank 2 -0.4219
Rock steady, no jumping around at idle nor 2700 RPM.

Old 02-09-2020, 01:15 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think it might really be dirt. Check the airbox for a nest, both above and below the filter. If your mechanic by chance kept some of the oil when he found the dirt in the filter, send that off to Blackstone and see what they find in it. If it's actually dirt, should have high silicon numbers.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:32 AM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

I think it might really be dirt. Check the airbox for a nest, both above and below the filter. If your mechanic by chance kept some of the oil when he found the dirt in the filter, send that off to Blackstone and see what they find in it. If it's actually dirt, should have high silicon numbers.
Thanks Pete for the suggestions.
I did save the oil and have ordered the sample kit from Blackstone. I opened the airbox and found no dauber egg jobbers nor hint of focused dirt area on the filter.
I'll wait on the used oil analysis before calling this spike in powdery oil filter debris a mystery...
Old 02-10-2020, 01:06 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

Keep us posted. that's a weird one. But I hope you have learned your lesson. 3,300 miles in 1.5 years is criminal
Old 02-10-2020, 08:12 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

I agree - I should be punished for leaving it up on jacks for that long...

As I've thought about this more, I can think of a couple of maintenance actions I took that might play into this:
1) Last November (~1600 miles ago) I did the coils and plugs - I guess I could have knocked something loose. The plugs really didn't look that bad though.
2) Just before this oil change (~450 miles ago), I put in a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner, when I filled the tank. I've done this before and never had a spike in debris. 80% of the time I buy "top tier" gasoline so I wouldn't have expected that much build-up anyway.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:56 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Did you check your air box for nests or debris? Did you drive in the rain? Maybe your snorkel inhaled some mud.

Quick Reply: Found fine black powder in oil filter medium