150K miles !!! 2009 C2S Woohoo!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 10:38 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

Some responses:

1 - Adjusting cables... I did tweak this, it does nothing. IMO, since the cable sheaths are anchored both at the shifter frame and directly onto the transmission, the "adjustment" does nothing. The adjustment is there to straighten out the stick.. so it sticks straight up, not for shifting performance. The cables, actually they are flexible, stiff rods that push as well as pull, are held in place inside the transmission.... the shifter is floppy mess without the blue pill inside the transmission. Many disagree with me on this. Regarding the bushings on the cables.. I assume you mean the ones at the transmission... hmmm..... I will check them out when my local garage does my PTX... (again, I don't like laying under my car). Oh, I purchased a magnetic plug to add to transmission entertainment value.
2 - Thanx rtl5009,but I do have lift bars. The issue for me is a bit of cowardliness... I will need to get the pan off from under the car and I just don't like lying under a car.. scares me. I didn't note that I will be replacing the forward pointing, lateral control arms too; these require the pan removal. I believe they are "crushing" as the bushing in them, like the bushing in the wheel carrier, bears the loads directly... they crush. I replaced these once... had a gas station do it... and the bushings were super loose so... while I am in there...
3 - PTX and the jam..... cures the jam for some, not so much for others. Why? I dunno. For me, it cured it completely but it comes back and seems to come back earlier and earlier.... in other words, I think some things are wearing out in there and now I got a jam going into reverse. This just started happening a few weeks ago.. I was pretty shocked and ticked off frankly. My advice is to get in front of the issue by changing the PTX every 30-40K miles and don't wait for the jam to surface. This is just a hunch I have, and if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.... well... it is kinda like changing your engine oil ever 5K instead of the spec'd 10K in the manual... earlier is better (I think).
4 - Regarding Moly into Motul..... thanx for pointing this out but honestly, I just can't take this stuff anymore... just can't. I am forging ahead. In short, I change every 5K, my holds about 9 quarts, alot of oil.... frequency trumps fear in my book so I don't care. Porsche notes all A40 oils are interchangeable (at least it is implied)... I am sticking with this. I see moving to Motul and adding snake oil is entertainment to me. I will be getting another oil analysis for this current change and probably the next just to see how all this back and forth manifests in the analysis. Keep in mind... I am serious about this... I do this mostly for entertainment.
5 - "Fake" PTX from Suncoast? Oh boy.... no... I can't take this anymore... get out of my head!
6 - Kevin, I too have a friend who is a boaster about how few miles on his Porsches... I terrorize him with pics of my car in the snow, covered in salt..... a closeup of a stone chip... great fun. Upsetting folks like this is high quality entertainment.. try it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 01-10-2020, 10:53 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 754 Likes on 407 Posts

All I can say is thanks for saving me the effort to pull off my console to adjust my shifter cables.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:07 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,518 Likes on 650 Posts

Had the gear notchiness too and found a permanent fix: sold the car and bought one with a PDK. Side benefit is I end up at my destination cleaner from no longer having to shift while holding a cup of coffee.

In all seriousness, great news on the milestone (literally and figuratively) and thanks for all the great info you've posted over the years. Here's to 200k!
Old 01-10-2020, 05:55 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Some responses:

1 - Adjusting cables... I did tweak this, it does nothing. IMO, since the cable sheaths are anchored both at the shifter frame and directly onto the transmission, the "adjustment" does nothing. The adjustment is there to straighten out the stick.. so it sticks straight up, not for shifting performance. The cables, actually they are flexible, stiff rods that push as well as pull, are held in place inside the transmission.... the shifter is floppy mess without the blue pill inside the transmission. Many disagree with me on this. Regarding the bushings on the cables.. I assume you mean the ones at the transmission... hmmm..... I will check them out when my local garage does my PTX... (again, I don't like laying under my car). Oh, I purchased a magnetic plug to add to transmission entertainment value.
2 - Thanx rtl5009,but I do have lift bars. The issue for me is a bit of cowardliness... I will need to get the pan off from under the car and I just don't like lying under a car.. scares me. I didn't note that I will be replacing the forward pointing, lateral control arms too; these require the pan removal. I believe they are "crushing" as the bushing in them, like the bushing in the wheel carrier, bears the loads directly... they crush. I replaced these once... had a gas station do it... and the bushings were super loose so... while I am in there...
3 - PTX and the jam..... cures the jam for some, not so much for others. Why? I dunno. For me, it cured it completely but it comes back and seems to come back earlier and earlier.... in other words, I think some things are wearing out in there and now I got a jam going into reverse. This just started happening a few weeks ago.. I was pretty shocked and ticked off frankly. My advice is to get in front of the issue by changing the PTX every 30-40K miles and don't wait for the jam to surface. This is just a hunch I have, and if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.... well... it is kinda like changing your engine oil ever 5K instead of the spec'd 10K in the manual... earlier is better (I think).
4 - Regarding Moly into Motul..... thanx for pointing this out but honestly, I just can't take this stuff anymore... just can't. I am forging ahead. In short, I change every 5K, my holds about 9 quarts, alot of oil.... frequency trumps fear in my book so I don't care. Porsche notes all A40 oils are interchangeable (at least it is implied)... I am sticking with this. I see moving to Motul and adding snake oil is entertainment to me. I will be getting another oil analysis for this current change and probably the next just to see how all this back and forth manifests in the analysis. Keep in mind... I am serious about this... I do this mostly for entertainment.
5 - "Fake" PTX from Suncoast? Oh boy.... no... I can't take this anymore... get out of my head!
6 - Kevin, I too have a friend who is a boaster about how few miles on his Porsches... I terrorize him with pics of my car in the snow, covered in salt..... a closeup of a stone chip... great fun. Upsetting folks like this is high quality entertainment.. try it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
lol. I’ll take the pans off for you. And put them back on.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:37 PM
anewman
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 110 Posts

Congratulations, Bruce! You continue to be an inspiration to us all. I’ve been reading your posts for 8 years and feel like we’re related at this point. Your realistic point of view, and sense of humor are just what this forum needs. Keep up the great work, and I look forward to hearing of you 997 adventures for at least another 50k miles and beyond. ✌🏻
Old 01-12-2020, 11:05 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,912 Likes on 2,902 Posts

Nice to see a 997 getting driven like it should.
If I wasn't spoiled with my Land Rover's height and comfort, didn't sell my Porsche every year to buy another and sort of retired and don't commute, I'd be celebrating with you.