Sponsored by:

Advice on 997.2 ECU

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 10:40 PM
wormwood
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Advice on 997.2 ECU

I woke up this morning excited to pick up my first Porsche (2009 997.2 S). However, when I called to schedule a time for the pickup at an independent shop they informed me that the while getting the car ready for delivery the ECU started alerting some codes. They tried to work on the codes and in the process “got locked out.” They have sent the ECU to the dealer to have them unlock and repair it. So now I’m sitting at home without my beloved first Porsche questioning what the heck is going on. Is this a big issue? Should I run from the car? Please help.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:07 PM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by wormwood
I woke up this morning excited to pick up my first Porsche (2009 997.2 S). However, when I called to schedule a time for the pickup at an independent shop they informed me that the while getting the car ready for delivery the ECU started alerting some codes. They tried to work on the codes and in the process “got locked out.” They have sent the ECU to the dealer to have them unlock and repair it. So now I’m sitting at home without my beloved first Porsche questioning what the heck is going on. Is this a big issue? Should I run from the car? Please help.
That is rough ... if you can run, I'd run. Just my instinct.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:17 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 785 Likes on 444 Posts

If I wasn't locked into buying it, I would walk too. That is just my instinct. I passed on A LOT of 911s before I got my C2S. I looked for a year casually and another year seriously.
I have walked on some GT3s since as well. Someday, I will find the right one.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:18 PM
wormwood
AutoX

It’s the craziest thing. I drove it multiple times and had zero issues.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:10 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

well it just happened? it just started giving codes, and they tried to fix it. obviously they have some equip to try to fix the codes, ecu. Sounds alittle suspicious that it all just happened. I would tell them you want to know what the dealer says about the problem, what codes it has fault with, and ask that dealer what could have done this, and if it is serious. if it sounds satisfying to you, tell them you have to drive the car to the dealer and have them check in the car and assure you theres no further problem.
The following users liked this post:
wormwood (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 12:22 AM
wormwood
AutoX

Originally Posted by OKB
I would tell them you want to know what the dealer says about the problem, what codes it has fault with, and ask that dealer what could have done this, and if it is serious. if it sounds satisfying to you, tell them you have to drive the car to the dealer and have them check in the car and assure you theres no further problem.
That’s a good idea. Are there known issues with the ECU or is it really rare to have this issue? Since it’s software, I’m assuming it can be flashed/debugged and start working like new. Given that is my first foray into a Porsche I’m flying a little blind here.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:27 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Sounds weird. The dealer doesn’t repair anything so that is weird too - they just replace with new. Don’t get the unlock comment either. Ask for a coherent explanation.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:39 AM
wormwood
AutoX

Originally Posted by mike cap
Sounds weird. The dealer doesn’t repair anything so that is weird too - they just replace with new. Don’t get the unlock comment either. Ask for a coherent explanation.
the selling dealer used the term “unlocked”. Technically the sales guy did, so that might also have been lost in translation. I used the term “repair”, perhaps incorrectly. I am assuming that you can brick/break the ECU if you don’t know what you are doing. But that is based on my limited knowledge. So if there is an issue, the dealer doesn’t fix it, they just replace it?
Old 12-28-2019, 09:13 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 141 Posts

This sounds weird. I'd be very cautious moving forward on this. If you didn't sign anything already.. I'd be looking for either a way out or something to make me feel more secure about it. Like a free warranty. Otherwise it is hella suspect that this happened right now right before you go to take possession..
The following users liked this post:
63mercedes (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 12:04 PM
wormwood
AutoX

They said the the ECU initially locked them out in the sense that we were unable to re-flash it, but then found a workaround for that. Unfortunately it still isn’t cooperating in properly receiving a re-flash, so needs to be physically sent out to Porsche for an ECU repair.

If it gets repaired, will it come with a warranty for the work? Should it? Will this affect anything else on the car?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:33 PM
ccdoggy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They said the the ECU initially locked them out in the sense that we were unable to re-flash it, but then found a workaround for that. Unfortunately it still isn’t cooperating in properly receiving a re-flash, so needs to be physically sent out to Porsche for an ECU repair.

If it gets repaired, will it come with a warranty for the work? Should it? Will this affect anything else on the car?
What you might be missing in the undertones of other's responses is that the ECU on 997s are rock solid and having an issue with 'codes' and requiring repair of the ECU itself is not a common issue. I have been creeping on these forums for a few years and cannot remember anyone saying the ECU went bad. Thus the common feeling in this thread is to be weary of the car and at the very least get more info on the symptoms to try and understand what the actual cause of the failure is as this just does not happen randomly. Maybe the ECU did fail for some reason and a replacement is truly needed, maybe due to water damage...

I also find it interesting that wherever the car was they had the ability and knowledge of how to troubleshoot the ECU and try to re-flash it. This is not a common set of skills or hardware and so I would start to wonder who the seller is and if it was repaired at a shop to be sold (accident car the shop fixes to sell). Too many unknowns for us to guess at the cause of the failure nor why the shop is taking it to this level of attempting repair, making everyone a bit uneasy about this car's history. As well the cost of the dealer work will be fairly pricey (Porsche tech time is not cheap), if the ECU is truly damaged then I bet its a grand or two for just the hardware. Not a trivial cost to the shop to repair it, which reinforces the concern that the shop is putting in this much money for something which never fails on a car which they own to sell.

I would recommend asking lots of questions, if it is a real failure of the ECU then maybe everything is fine. But there is a reasonable chance that this car has a history you do not want to deal with.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:40 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Electrical problems would make me walk. Could this have been caused by water? Could be signs of bigger issues and chasing electrical problems could be a pain.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:47 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,175 Posts

I absolutely would run from this car and never look back.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:48 PM
wormwood
AutoX

Originally Posted by ccdoggy
What you might be missing in the undertones of other's responses is that the ECU on 997s are rock solid and having an issue with 'codes' and requiring repair of the ECU itself is not a common issue. I have been creeping on these forums for a few years and cannot remember anyone saying the ECU went bad. Thus the common feeling in this thread is to be weary of the car and at the very least get more info on the symptoms to try and understand what the actual cause of the failure is as this just does not happen randomly. Maybe the ECU did fail for some reason and a replacement is truly needed, maybe due to water damage...

I also find it interesting that wherever the car was they had the ability and knowledge of how to troubleshoot the ECU and try to re-flash it. This is not a common set of skills or hardware and so I would start to wonder who the seller is and if it was repaired at a shop to be sold (accident car the shop fixes to sell). Too many unknowns for us to guess at the cause of the failure nor why the shop is taking it to this level of attempting repair, making everyone a bit uneasy about this car's history. As well the cost of the dealer work will be fairly pricey (Porsche tech time is not cheap), if the ECU is truly damaged then I bet its a grand or two for just the hardware. Not a trivial cost to the shop to repair it, which reinforces the concern that the shop is putting in this much money for something which never fails on a car which they own to sell.

I would recommend asking lots of questions, if it is a real failure of the ECU then maybe everything is fine. But there is a reasonable chance that this car has a history you do not want to deal with.
Got it. If it was water damaged it should’ve been caught during the PPI, right? Any tell tale signs that would make water damage evident?

I’m purchasing it from a larger used car dealership with 90% Porsche’s. They also do work on the cars, hence the ability to try and troubleshoot the ECU.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:52 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Got it. If it was water damaged it should’ve been caught during the PPI, right? Any tell tale signs that would make water damage evident?

I’m purchasing it from a larger used car dealership with 90% Porsche’s. They also do work on the cars, hence the ability to try and troubleshoot the ECU.
What’s the Vin? Do you have a Carfax. Where was this car located with last owner? How long has the dealer had it? What dealership is it?

Tell, tell signs . . . electrical gremlins and codes or jacked up ECU. Did the car have any performance mods or reflash?

Quick Reply: Advice on 997.2 ECU