Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recaro Sportster GT - Base options for install >>

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2019 | 07:19 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Default Recaro Sportster GT - Base options for install >>

Might need a little help here. I have a set of Recaro Sportster GTs I am trying to mount in 997.2.

I bought the planted Porsche bases for Recaro seats. The base fits the car fine but the seat does not fit the base. I could make it fit with some cutting of the base and some spacers but that doesn't sound like something that should be needed.

There is a metal center frame on the Recaro seats that hits the base and also the seat belt tab on the base is hitting the side of the seat. See pics below.

Anyone have these seats and what bases or setup for install did you use.
Attached Images   

Last edited by platinum997; 12-27-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-02-2020 | 10:10 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Ok.. so some progress. The driver seat is in the car. This is anything but plug and play like it should be.

I am taking the seat back out to make some additional tweaks and will document the process. Not hard, just a little annoying given its all supposed to just work or so I was told.

It's required to get the Recaro slider kit. That gives you the spacing you need so the base attaches correctly.

Current Setup
-Recaro Sliders
-Planted base
-2mm washers between slider and base. The base still hits the cross support on the seat without.
-Removal of plastic cap on seat to cover seat joint (see 1st pic in original post). This allows the seat to utilize the full slider. Without you get minimum movement as the seat belt support on the planted base hits this cover.

With this setup the rail slides fully with no interference. However, you can only get front bolts in the base to mount to floor. The back is just a hair off. It's hitting the Recaro slider rail.

Proposed Setup
Same as above but grinding 2mm off the seat cross support at the interference points. The spacers work but direct contact will have more surface area and I want the seat as low as I can get it.

Will also notch the back Recaro rails so the bolt can allign correctly on the base.
-------------------------

Will post pics of the setup, modifications and of course of them in car this weekend.
Old 01-04-2020 | 11:51 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Hopefully this helps some others if they go with this setup. Surely other options that are potentially plug and play but this is what I had to work with.

Parts
  • Recaro sportster GT, Leather Carbon Weave - 410.1GT.3167 & 410.2GT.3167
  • Recaro seat slider inside bar without tabs - 0.70.9NT
  • Planted seat bracket - SB017PA
  • (8) M8 Grade 10.9 16mm length bolts and associated washers and nuts
  • (2) Elevator Bolts 3/8-16x1
The slight modifications might not be needed if your OK with some limitations. I didn't want to use washers to space the rails for clearance and I wanted fully slider operation.

Remove the hinge cover on the inside of the seat. This allows the planted seat base seat belt bracket to not interfere when sliding back and forth.

Grid the Recaro metal cross support on the seat. You can use spacers between the rail kit and the base if you don't want to do this. I wanted as much surface area for solid mounting so chose this route.

Mount the base to the Recaro rails and make sure it is pushed all the way over to the left looking from the bottom of the seat. You will need the extra clearance to get the mounting holes to line up in the car.

Grid a little off the bottom of the Recaro seat rail. When using the OEM bolts they get hung up. You could buy some slightly shorter bolts as an alternative. I wanted to use the OEM hardware though.

After that, just install in the car. Once installed there is just enough clearance on both sides for a ton of slider movement.

Finished install

Old 01-04-2020 | 12:24 PM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

great write up. I see folks spending $9,000 +/- for Porsche GT2 seats. These look pretty close and cost what, about $3-4K ? How do you find them? How do you handle the airbag?
Old 01-04-2020 | 02:07 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I looked at many options. These seem to be the most OEM like for a much more reasonable price point. The GT2s are awesome and for the purist probably the right choice.

I have just under 4k in the seats, sliders, base and hardware.

You can get these in cloth for around 1200 each but I wanted leather and carbon weave for a more OEM look. They make them with various options like heat, cooled and with built in airbags. I didn't get those options. Never used the heat in the stock seats and the airbag I am willing to live without.
Old 01-04-2020 | 02:12 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Great seats. I bought a set for my 964. Really hard time trying to make them fit and instead of modifying I sold.
Good work getting them in a 997.
Old 01-04-2020 | 04:31 PM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by platinum997
Yeah, I looked at many options. These seem to be the most OEM like for a much more reasonable price point. The GT2s are awesome and for the purist probably the right choice.

I have just under 4k in the seats, sliders, base and hardware.

You can get these in cloth for around 1200 each but I wanted leather and carbon weave for a more OEM look. They make them with various options like heat, cooled and with built in airbags. I didn't get those options. Never used the heat in the stock seats and the airbag I am willing to live without.
Cool. Do you get error msgs for lack of airbags or have to program those out with PIWIS/Durametric? Wonder if spending up for these might have saved you time/grinding: https://www.bbiautosport.com/product...and-slider-kit
Old 01-04-2020 | 06:02 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

I had already coded out the airbag and seat belt a while ago. Sometimes on short trips I don't where my seatbelt (yes I know) and I didn't like the warnings.

Those BBI bases are fantastic. My understanding is they are for bucket seats with side mounts though. The Sportsters and most other reclining seats are bottom mount.
The following users liked this post:
TheTorch (01-04-2020)
Old 01-05-2020 | 10:24 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Great that these can be made to work fairly easily it seems. Good write up. It doesn't seem like too much work for the savings. I was planning on going with these seats but since moving overseas I was able to find a perfect condition set of used OEM folding carbon sport buckets for about $5500 total. If these seats can be had for $4k all in.. its a nice savings. Sounds like it could be done for even less if the basic finish for the seats is chosen.
Old 02-09-2020 | 06:08 PM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

The BBI base kit says it works with the Recaro CS?
https://www.bbiautosport.com/product...and-slider-kit

Any easy way to code out the airbag on a 991?
Old 02-10-2020 | 01:39 PM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 911TurboRules
The BBI base kit says it works with the Recaro CS?

Any easy way to code out the airbag on a 991?
Thank you for the mention! The Sportster GT is an updated version of the CS. With the outer shell essentially the same, our seat base kit is compatible with it.

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram
Old 12-19-2020 | 11:55 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BBiAutosport
Thank you for the mention! The Sportster GT is an updated version of the CS. With the outer shell essentially the same, our seat base kit is compatible with it.

@BBiAutosport, For use with Sportster CS or Sportster GT seats, do you remove and toss the side mounts? Both of those seats are bottom mount and I don't see how side mounts could possibly be useful with them. If so, do you offer the sliders/base without the side mount? Seems kind of wasteful to pay for them and not use them...

Last edited by pfbz; 12-19-2020 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2021 | 10:00 AM
carguy84
Advanced

Originally Posted by BBiAutosport

Just wanted to follow up on what @pfbz asked. @BBiAutosport
Old 01-30-2021 | 11:35 AM
carguy84
Advanced

FYI, I talked to BBi and the brackets come with the side mounts, but you don't use them, you remove them and bottom mount the seats. Will be doing mine next week hopefully.
Old 01-30-2021 | 10:24 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carguy84
FYI, I talked to BBi and the brackets come with the side mounts, but you don't use them, you remove them and bottom mount the seats. Will be doing mine next week hopefully.
Lots of other quality bases and sliders you can get where you don't have to order and then throw away the race bucket side mounts....
The following users liked this post:
Brainofjjj (08-12-2021)

Quick Reply: Recaro Sportster GT - Base options for install >>