Old 12-15-2019 | 12:35 AM
318touring
Pro

Default Video Part 8 "The 3.8L Scoring Duo" is out

The original thread is closed hence this new thread

Old 12-15-2019 | 01:22 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

I am sure everybody owning M9X cars wanted to see that. Heck, I have been saying this since 2017 that there is no telling how many of these cars are cruisiing around out there and the owner has no clue that the engine is scored. The only reason these two cars showed up for expensive rebuilds now is because people are looking for scoring now. That’s your 600% increase.

I think I would just keep driving the dang thing until it died if it was asymptotic and ran fine. Why bother even looking for it or thinking about if not selling. Drive it until it dies. It’s not like finding scoring before it dies is going to dramatically change the outcome.

BTW, inherent problem is tantamount to manufacturing defect. Let’s call it what it is.
Old 12-15-2019 | 07:30 AM
door2416
Instructor

There is part 9 out and Jake reveals that the black car's engine had already been replaced with a factory new engine and only has 10k miles on it. With only 10k miles this engine could only be on it's second oil change. This is not just "Bad Luck".

Last edited by door2416; 12-15-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-15-2019 | 08:50 AM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Damn. Does it ever say where the cars were located or other external factors? Any mention of 3rd radiator and LTT?

Old 12-15-2019 | 09:07 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rtl5009
Does it ever say where the cars were located?
I asked that in the other thread and didn’t get an answer.
Old 12-15-2019 | 10:50 AM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

I have a factory replacement long block. I have Installed the 3rd radiator, low temperature thermostat, LN Oil filter adapter, and two filter mags on the adapter. I changed the oil after 100 miles on the new engine- I run Motul Xcess 8100 with MoS2 and never take the car on short drives. I never take it over 3K rpm until water temps are 175 and never take it over 3500 rpm until oil is above 190.

The cars original motor had a scored cylinder at 80K miles, mobil1 and NE its whole life.

I am trying to tip the conditions as much as possible in my favor.

Old 12-15-2019 | 11:31 AM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris M.
The black supercharged one was local Georgia car.

I watched all these latest videos but still could not tell what their transmission types were.

Supercharging a high compression engine (black car) without consideration for resulting cylinder pressures sounds wrong. Just the thrust side of cylinder 6 was going away though, albeit quicker than an aluminum block 1973 Chevy Vega.

The silver car was loosing it's Teflon coating pretty evenly across the pistons.

My HD Road King (103 CI at about 110 ft lbs of torque) pistons have black Teflon pads cast into the skirts. Different grip and fitment and compound, but smaller overall % of skirt protected (when new anyway). And, around 30% less HP per cubic inch compared to the M9x. Piston slap is not a common issue for the HD 103 until around 100K air cooled miles.
Old 12-15-2019 | 02:40 PM
318touring
Pro

Part 10 is out now too
Old 12-15-2019 | 04:21 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris M.
this whole topic seems to be getting super super sensitive both my the Originator/engine rebuilder and the 997 owners. Frankly, I go to a ton of websites and forums and if that thread got closed because someone mentioned that the situation wouldn’t bother them if they were the one repairing them, is that offensive, I am living in some kind of bazaaro world, because the person getting “offended” has a very high reputation of being one that has “offended” others in the past. I am one that hasn’t been that offended by him and just took it as someone who is a straight talker, honest and tells it like it is. On the other side, I still don’t see what was so offensive about the other post, people are just trying to ask what can be done on the owners end to at least try and lower the chances of this happening.

let’s be 100% honest, when we see posts like “another couple low miles 997 with scoring” on the title, you don’t think that adds a little bit of “panic” to 997 owners? You don’t think it is justified for people to ask how this can be prevented?

let’s make this clear, if people are offended by some of those posts, let’s hope that you don’t go to other websites because that was NOTHING compared to other forums.
Old 12-15-2019 | 04:29 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rodH
this whole topic seems to be getting super super sensitive both my the Originator/engine rebuilder and the 997 owners. Frankly, I go to a ton of websites and forums and if that thread got closed because someone mentioned that the situation wouldn’t bother them if they were the one repairing them, is that offensive, I am living in some kind of bazaaro world, because the person getting “offended” has a very high reputation of being one that has “offended” others in the past. I am one that hasn’t been that offended by him and just took it as someone who is a straight talker, honest and tells it like it is. On the other side, I still don’t see what was so offensive about the other post, people are just trying to ask what can be done on the owners end to at least try and lower the chances of this happening.

let’s be 100% honest, when we see posts like “another couple low miles 997 with scoring” on the title, you don’t think that adds a little bit of “panic” to 997 owners? You don’t think it is justified for people to ask how this can be prevented?

let’s make this clear, if people are offended by some of those posts, let’s hope that you don’t go to other websites because that was NOTHING compared to other forums.
I watched the video above. I saw very little information and a lot of everyone is doomed and my rebuild is the answer. Still no info everyone keeps asking for and still no explanation about the preventive solution he said he had 2 years ago. This is not adversarial. This is simply asking what that solution is that he mentioned way back when. Be nice to save a lot of people headache and thousands of dollars if true.
The following users liked this post:
roadie13 (12-15-2019)
Old 12-15-2019 | 05:29 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Doug H
I watched the video above. I saw very little information and a lot of everyone is doomed and my rebuild is the answer. Still no info everyone keeps asking for and still no explanation about the preventive solution he said he had 2 years ago. This is not adversarial. This is simply asking what that solution is that he mentioned way back when. Be nice to save a lot of people headache and thousands of dollars if true.
Agree with much of this, aside from the recording of the badly scored engine there isn't much info here. So what does it take to get from the symptom-free light scoring of the silver car to badly scored black car? Is it 500 more miles? 5000? 50,000? I have to wonder if the reported dramatic increase in bore scoring is due to the fact the people are looking for it when they weren't before. Who knows if that silver car won't go another ten years before it develops actual problems. Maybe it's looked like that for years or even happened during break in. Is there any metal in the oil filter or other evidence that the problem is getting worse?

I have a 997.2 so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I did sell my 2006 C2S at 92k miles without any engine issues. Lifetime California car FWIW.
Old 12-15-2019 | 05:45 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug H
The solution is to send your car to him. Lol.

Old 12-15-2019 | 06:27 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Here is the statement and my immediate response, like one or two post later, was back in July 2017. What was harm of disclosing this back in 2017? How many could have been spared if true?
Old 12-15-2019 | 06:48 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

^Charge your phone....and I agree- Please Please Please just tell us already lol
Old 12-15-2019 | 07:23 PM
vern1
Race Car

Originally Posted by PV997
I have a 997.2 so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I did sell my 2006 C2S at 92k miles without any engine issues. Lifetime California car FWIW.
Oh you have a dog in this fight all right. 997.2's arent immune to scoring
Originally Posted by rtl5009
^Charge your phone....and I agree- Please Please Please just tell us already lol
Haha I see you guys have gone back to the "who can **** off Jake the fastest" contest....but since he didnt start this thread he cant unilaterally end it i guess

Quick Reply: Video Part 8 "The 3.8L Scoring Duo" is out