Sponsored by:

Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 10:16 PM
Mrhobbiest
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
Weird, that's an ECU code not a PDK code. I don't have the details on those but you may be able to find it with a little googling. Only thing I can figure PDK related is that the ECU thinks it's not getting a signal from the gear shift paddles (speculation). The steering module has CANDRIVE and CANCOMFORT bus signals, so presumably the error is CANCOMFORT based on the message. However only CANDRIVE connects to the TCU. The gear shift selector uses CANDRIVE.

Sorry I can't be more help but not sure what to make of this.
Car is home and picked up clone device, and low and behold it had my first encounter with this PDK problem from 03/2019 codes stored:
<Item name="" value="PCM (Porsche Communication Management) - Codes : 0" type="3" />
<Item name="" value="" type="2" />
<Item name="" value="Transmission PDK" type="1" />
<Item name="U0155" value="Communication Instrument Cluster Control Unit" type="0" />
<Item name="U0146" value="Communication Gateway Control Unit" type="0" />
<Item name="U0418" value="Fault, PSM Control Unit" type="0" />
<Item name="P17F1" value="Dual - clutch Transmission, Over Temperature" type="0" />
<Item name="P17F0" value="Dual - clutch Transmission, Over Temperature" type="0" />
<Item name="" value="ABS" type="1" />
<Item name="5400" value="Sport Mode Fault" type="0" />
<Item name="" value="Airbag" type="1" />
<Item name="C152" value="Communication PSM Control Unit (Drive)" type="0" />
<Item name="C150" value="Control Unit Communication, Engine Electronics (Drive)" type="0" />
<Item name="8012" value="Power Supply, Above Lower Limit Value" type="0" />
<Item name="" value="Air Conditioning" type="1" />
<Item name="8023" value="Outside Air/Recirculation Flap Motor" type="0" />
<Item name="" value="TPMS" type="1" />
<Item name="8003" value="System Disturbance" type="0" />
<Item name="8021" value="Wheel Electronics, Front Left" type="0" />
<Item name="8022" value="Wheel Electronics, Front Right" type="0" />
<Item name="8023" value="Wheel Electronics, Rear Left" type="0" />
<Item name="8024" value="Wheel Electronics, Rear Right" type="0" />
Old 06-08-2020, 06:15 PM
Mrhobbiest
Intermediate

Car was returned with codes listed below."MAKE" "Porsche" "YEAR" "2010" "MODEL" "911" CS "ENGINE" "3.8L H6 (MA1.01)"
"Systems detected : 22" type="2"

Transmission PDK - Codes : 3" type="3"
"ABS - Codes : 1" type="3"

"Airbag - Codes : 2" type="3"
"Air Conditioning - Codes : 1" type="3"
"Rear - end Electronics - Codes : 1" type="3"
"TPMS - Codes : 5" type="3"
"PAS (Porsche Active Safe) - Codes : 2" type="3"
"Selector Lever - Codes : 1" type="3"

"Transmission PDK" type="1"
"P17F0" "Dual - clutch Transmission, Over Temperature" type="0"

"P17F1" "Dual - clutch Transmission, Over Temperature" type="0"
"P17F2" "Dual - clutch Transmission, Over Temperature" type="0"type="2"

"ABS" type="1"
"5400" "Sport Mode Fault" type="0"type="2"

"Airbag" type="1"
"C150" "Control Unit Communication, Engine Electronics (Drive)" type="0"

"C152" "Communication PSM Control Unit (Drive)" type="0"type="2"

"Air Conditioning" type="1"
"8023" "Outside Air/Recirculation Flap Motor" type="0"type="2"

"Rear - end Electronics" type="1"
"C130" "Communication Steering Wheel Electronics (Comfort)" type="0"type="2"

"TPMS" type="1"
"8003" "System Disturbance" type="0"

"8021" "Wheel Electronics, Front Left" type="0"
"8022" "Wheel Electronics, Front Right" type="0"
"8023" "Wheel Electronics, Rear Left" type="0"
"8024" "Wheel Electronics, Rear Right" type="0"type="2"

"PAS (Porsche Active Safe)" type="1"
"8002" "Terminal 15 Exceeds Limit Value" type="0"

"8005" "Terminal S Exceeds Limit Value" type="0"type="2"

"Selector Lever" type="1"
"P1802" "Actuator Solenoid R/P Interlock, Implausible Signal Signal Implausible" type="0"
Old 06-08-2020, 06:26 PM
Mrhobbiest
Intermediate

I cleared the codes, attached the clone data logger and drove the car from cold (ambient temp 80-90F) to full warm up six different times this weekend and zero codes have returned.
So, what if the "over temp" codes are real? Could this lead to a piling on of other codes that will finally just make the car go into limp-home mode?
Old 06-08-2020, 08:34 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,514 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrhobbiest
I cleared the codes, attached the clone data logger and drove the car from cold (ambient temp 80-90F) to full warm up six different times this weekend and zero codes have returned.
So, what if the "over temp" codes are real? Could this lead to a piling on of other codes that will finally just make the car go into limp-home mode?
Are you reading and logging the actual PDK temp sensor? You'll need a PIWIS clone to do this, not sure if that's what you are using. I would log the sensor and analyze the trends. A steady rise to an overtemp condition is probably real, discontinuities or jumps in the data probably mean a faulty sensor. A bad sensor will usually have erratic behavior.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (10-16-2021)
Old 06-09-2020, 12:50 PM
Mrhobbiest
Intermediate

Are you reading and logging the actual PDK temp sensor? You'll need a PIWIS clone to do this, not sure if that's what you are using. I would log the sensor and analyze the trends. A steady rise to an overtemp condition is probably real, discontinuities or jumps in the data probably mean a faulty sensor. A bad sensor will usually have erratic behavior.
Ethos-Tech from Snap-on is the system I have access to presently. I have data logged/graphed the trans sump temp as it changes from cold to 185F. Nothing sporadic just a steady rise. Longer trip planned for Thur, so I hope to get some more data points.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:20 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

FWIW, here are fault codes my car threw today after a PASM Failure, Transmission Emergency Run and Drive Off Assistant Failure messages. Car switched out of sports plus and turned PSE off, but ran fine. Codes went away when turned off. Drove to dealership and they really had no explanation.

Perhaps this will help your research. Mine is covered by warranty should it decide to fail.

Old 06-15-2020, 06:34 PM
Mrhobbiest
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Doug H
FWIW, here are fault codes my car threw today after a PASM Failure, Transmission Emergency Run and Drive Off Assistant Failure messages. Car switched out of sports plus and turned PSE off, but ran fine. Codes went away when turned off. Drove to dealership and they really had no explanation.

Perhaps this will help your research. Mine is covered by warranty should it decide to fail.

Wonder if the aftermarket PCM had any effect on this situation?
subaru335i (06-16-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 10:55 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

FWIW, I talked to my buddy who is service advisor and an actual Porsche factory tech himself. He said they had not seen any 911 pdk failures or had to replace a pdk in a 911 that he recalled, but they have had a few Macan pdks failures which he stated were different.

He did say my issue, if any, would be control module and the control module is external and can be replaced.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:29 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Doug H
FWIW, I talked to my buddy who is service advisor and an actual Porsche factory tech himself. He said they had not seen any 911 pdk failures or had to replace a pdk in a 911 that he recalled, but they have had a few Macan pdks failures which he stated were different.

He did say my issue, if any, would be control module and the control module is external and can be replaced.
Hey Doug - I just replied to your other thread. Fully agree with your friend, if this is an actual PDK issue (far from certain) it's the $800 TCU not the $15K transmission.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:14 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Hey Doug - I just replied to your other thread. Fully agree with your friend, if this is an actual PDK issue (far from certain) it's the $800 TCU not the $15K transmission.
I put it in here as well as this will be around long after my other thread scrolls off and enters the island of lost and misfit toys/threads.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:04 PM
Mrhobbiest
Intermediate

Update.

Morning ride, data-logged temps. After about an hour on the road, half back roads then hwy, got the white "emergency transmission run" dropped into 6th gear. Drove to final destination (about 15 mins) in even gears only - 6th, 4th and 2nd. Codes present: P17F0, P17F1, P17B7-Clutch 1 Slips With High Differential Speed(that's a new one for me), 5400 and the TPMS codes, as usual. Data logged from clutch sump temp records showed nothing out of normal, trip high was 188F. (Ruling out the temp sensor?)

Cleared codes and cooled the car for about 5 hours.

Back on the hwy for 20 minutes, white "emergency transmission run" is back. This time I was logging Shift rod positions and Clutch pressures (pdfs attached). Dropped to 6th gear again then even gears while settling into a parking lot. Codes present:

P17F0=Dual - clutch Transmission, Over Temperature

P17F1=Dual - clutch Transmission, Over Temperature

P17F2=Dual - clutch Transmission, Over Temperature

P17B7=Clutch 1 Slips With High Differential Speed

Take a look at the included pdfs.

Cleared codes, cooled down a bit and tried to drive off again. No such luck, white “emergency…” then to red “emergency…” and stuck in 2nd gear.

Only code present: P0730=Transmission Ratio Monitor

Cleared codes, cooled down a bit and tried again. white “emergency…” then to red “emergency…” and stuck in 2nd gear. Once again only code present:

P0730=Transmission Ratio Monitor

One more time just to make sure, cleared and cooled, tried again. Straight into Limp Home Mode. Codes present:

P0700=Fault In Transmission Control Unit Signal Implausible

P0730=Transmission Ratio Monitoring

C150=Control Unit Communication, Engine Electronics (Drive)

C152=Communication PSM Control Unit (Drive)

Along with the 5400 and TPMS codes. Strange the temp warnings have completely disappeared at this point of the day. Which is okay since the temp reading is still around 185F.

Flatbed to the shop. Clear codes the next day and drove it for a half hour no issues.

From the logs/pdfs the first afternoon code fired around frame 1580 with strange anomalies from Oil Pressure-Clutch 2, Speed-Shaft1 and Shift Rod Position-Gears (5-7).
Any suggestions?

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
20200619-2129.pdf (601.4 KB, 270 views)
File Type: pdf
20200619-2130.pdf (753.5 KB, 167 views)
Old 06-21-2020, 11:00 AM
roadster1930
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this information. Do you know the purpose of the bleeder screw? My PDK was leaking from the hole in the center of that screw. I have plugged the hole with sealant as the dealer could not find a reason to ever need to remove the screw. Now I am wondering if it is some type of breather and needs to remain open. Any insight will be helpful. The leak has stopped.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:46 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mrhobbiest
Update.

Morning ride, data-logged temps. After about an hour on the road, half back roads then hwy, got the white "emergency transmission run" dropped into 6th gear. Drove to final destination (about 15 mins) in even gears only - 6th, 4th and 2nd. Codes present: P17F0, P17F1, P17B7-Clutch 1 Slips With High Differential Speed(that's a new one for me), 5400 and the TPMS codes, as usual. Data logged from clutch sump temp records showed nothing out of normal, trip high was 188F. (Ruling out the temp sensor?)

Cleared codes and cooled the car for about 5 hours.

Back on the hwy for 20 minutes, white "emergency transmission run" is back. This time I was logging Shift rod positions and Clutch pressures (pdfs attached). Dropped to 6th gear again then even gears while settling into a parking lot. Codes present:

P17F0=Dual - clutch Transmission, Over Temperature

P17F1=Dual - clutch Transmission, Over Temperature

P17F2=Dual - clutch Transmission, Over Temperature

P17B7=Clutch 1 Slips With High Differential Speed

Take a look at the included pdfs.

Cleared codes, cooled down a bit and tried to drive off again. No such luck, white “emergency…” then to red “emergency…” and stuck in 2nd gear.

Only code present: P0730=Transmission Ratio Monitor

Cleared codes, cooled down a bit and tried again. white “emergency…” then to red “emergency…” and stuck in 2nd gear. Once again only code present:

P0730=Transmission Ratio Monitor

One more time just to make sure, cleared and cooled, tried again. Straight into Limp Home Mode. Codes present:

P0700=Fault In Transmission Control Unit Signal Implausible

P0730=Transmission Ratio Monitoring

C150=Control Unit Communication, Engine Electronics (Drive)

C152=Communication PSM Control Unit (Drive)

Along with the 5400 and TPMS codes. Strange the temp warnings have completely disappeared at this point of the day. Which is okay since the temp reading is still around 185F.

Flatbed to the shop. Clear codes the next day and drove it for a half hour no issues.

From the logs/pdfs the first afternoon code fired around frame 1580 with strange anomalies from Oil Pressure-Clutch 2, Speed-Shaft1 and Shift Rod Position-Gears (5-7).
Any suggestions?
Great info getting the logs. Not sure what is going on with the weird spike at 1440 as it shows up across most of the sensors. Seems like there might have been some across the board pressure change. The clutch slip and ratio monitor faults are consistent with a fluid pressure issue on clutch 1 and that would explain why during white emergency run you still had gears 2, 4, and 6 (clutch 2). The fact that you see erratic speed sensor data at the same time the clutch pressure changes makes it seem real rather than a faulty sensor. The clutch pressure says it's going to 16 bar (230 psi!) which is hard to believe as it's supposed to be limited to about 5 bar by the solenoids. EDS4 controls system pressure and EDS1 controls clutch 1 pressure so either of them may be suspect.

You can monitor the solenoid current which may provide additional useful information. It would be good to know if the solenoid current is erratic and/or proportionate to the measured pressure. Nothing unusual in the shift rod data as far as I can tell other than the weird glitch at 1440.

What I don't understand is why all these other weird faults are showing up. Why is there a temp fault when your logging showed the temp never got over 188 deg? (Stupid side note, are you sure that is F and not C?) Also why the non-PDK faults such as the Cxxx? That could maybe indicate the TCU is wigging out and the PDK is just responding to bad inputs. I'll think about it more and post anything that comes to mind.
Mrhobbiest (06-27-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 01:41 AM
neol
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997 PDK shut down at about 27k mileage

Hi my 997 PDK shut down at about 27k mileage.
Porsche center informed me to replace a new PDK that will cost USD30k. The fault code is P1731.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:00 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by neol
Hi my 997 PDK shut down at about 27k mileage.
Porsche center informed me to replace a new PDK that will cost USD30k. The fault code is P1731.
Are you in the US?

Quick Reply: Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission