Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Location of control module for retractable spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2019 | 01:43 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Default Location of control module for retractable spoiler?

Can anyone tell me where the control module for the retractable spoiler is located? If I want to install the Carrera/Carrera S rear decklid/spoiler and module into a car that originally didn't have this installed, what else would I need besides the control module? I already have a complete assembly for the retractable decklid and spoiler.

Basically, my goal is to install the Carrera/Carrera S retractable spoiler onto a 997.2 GT3. Aesthetics and opinions aside, what is the process and ancillary hardware required to make this happen? I plan on modifying my center console switch module to add the control switch for the tail. Unfortunately, Porsche doesn't make the switch module for the center console with the combination of options my car has. Already checked into that. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-06-2019 | 01:48 PM
bmwfan328
Racer

Very simple swap. The control module is already in the vehicle - it’s called the “rear control module,” and it’s located under the driver seat. As long as your new C2S decklid came with the wiring harness already attached (needed to activate the integrated spoiler brake light and motor), then just swap the deck lids and have the dealer or a friend with a programmer code the rear control module to read active spoiler
Old 12-06-2019 | 01:50 PM
bmwfan328
Racer

Also, what options do you have that you cannot find on a factory switch?
The following users liked this post:
Lbi14lbb (12-19-2019)
Old 12-06-2019 | 02:10 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmwfan328
Very simple swap. The control module is already in the vehicle - it’s called the “rear control module,” and it’s located under the driver seat. As long as your new C2S decklid came with the wiring harness already attached (needed to activate the integrated spoiler brake light and motor), then just swap the deck lids and have the dealer or a friend with a programmer code the rear control module to read active spoiler
Thanks! That helps a lot!!

Also, what options do you have that you cannot find on a factory switch?
It's the front lift option that kills the combo I am seeking. Front lift is only offered on GT3s and Porsche never made the switch panel with both retractable spoiler and front lift.
Old 12-06-2019 | 03:14 PM
bmwfan328
Racer

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
It's the front lift option that kills the combo I am seeking. Front lift is only offered on GT3s and Porsche never made the switch panel with both retractable spoiler and front lift.
Ahhh, I see. I personally never raise the rear spoiler on my C4S manually, I let the car figure out what’s best. But yes, seems you’ll have to do some custom wiring if you want the switch.
Old 12-06-2019 | 03:22 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Ahhh, I see. I personally never raise the rear spoiler on my C4S manually, I let the car figure out what’s best. But yes, seems you’ll have to do some custom wiring if you want the switch.
I'm going to keep it simple and make do without the switch. Thanks for your help!
Old 12-07-2019 | 07:24 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The late Turbo didn't offer the nose lift option. Seems like they let you add almost whatever option to a turbo that they make that year and the turbos have an active rear spoiler.
Old 05-17-2020 | 01:39 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

OK, peeps. I'm reaching out for a possible solution to my spoiler project. I installed a Carrera decklid on my GT3 and had a friend with a Durametric enable the retractable spoiler functionality on my GT3. Unfortunately, it doesn't deploy at speed. He said there was also a button on his screen to manually deploy the spoiler but when he tried, it didn't work.

I went ahead and bought a used center-stack control module from a Carrera that has the spoiler button anyway. Ideally, I would like to figure out how to remove the spoiler button from the Carrera switch panel and add it to my GT3 control switch panel. It arrives in a couple days and I will investigate. I'm assuming they are electrical switches and will have to figure out how to make that work.

That said, I don't necessarily need to be able to manually control the spoiler from a center-stack button like on normal Carreras. At a minimum, I just would like the spoiler to automatically deploy and retract like in normal Carreras. On my first test drive, my car got a little squirrelly above 100 MPH so the spoiler would definitely help!

I have an appointment with my local Porsche dealer in a couple weeks to see what they can figure out. Perhaps their coder is better equipped to enable the spoiler? I would prefer to save money if that might be a waste of time. Any advice/tips/recommendations are appreciated.

Here are some pics for the curious. A good friend is a terrific fabricator and fabbed a custom 4" Y-pipe and modified an aFe Carrera intake to fit into my engine bay. It is quality work! More pics and details are in my build thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...b-s-2-gt3.html).

Old 05-25-2020 | 10:35 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Looks awesome!

Quick Reply: Location of control module for retractable spoiler?