Sponsored by:

I did it! I bought my first Porsche.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 11:23 PM
911mdp997
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelo
What do you do if you get a flat tire that the tire goop can't fix? There is no spare and if you are not near an open Porsche shop...what do you do?
I carry a portable pump and a tire patch/plug kit in the frunk, just enough to get it home
Old 12-02-2019, 12:18 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,531 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by prairiedawg
There's nothing special about me, I'm just a Pipefitter from Wisconsin. I had a goal to own a Porsche since I was 18 years old. I saved my pennies, put off vacations and waited...and waited and waited. Until I found the car I was comfortable putting my hard earned cash on. I found my unicorn, I can't believe it really. I couldn't have done it with all of you guys whether you know it or not, and for that I thank you, all of you.
That is just fantastic, I'm really happy for you. I first fell in love with the 911 when one of our neighbors brought home a new mid-seventies model when I was a kid. Finally got my first one in 1990, it was a 1978 911 SC Targa with the turbo-look whale tail. It was a great car but I told myself back then I'd get a real turbo 911 someday. Went through another NA 911 after that (2006 C2S, loved it) but I finally got my Turbo in October. It only took twenty nine years! Enjoy it as these really are special cars.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:42 AM
php
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow.......2012 GTS with manual and low miles. Keeper for sure. It's so cool! Congrats!!!!!
Old 12-02-2019, 11:53 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by prairiedawg
Thank you to you and everyone else who have sent their well wishes. It means a lot to me actually. This forum has been great to me and I have learned a ton, about what I want and what's important. This forum is a great group of dedicated enthusiasts who go out of their way to help or send positivity to other members. It's this forum that helped me understand I can own a Porsche, it's not a silly dream. I am by no means wealthy but proves that if you have goals, work hard, and make prudent decisions in life, you can have nice things. If you take care of them, you can keep nice things. If you wait and suppress the urge for instant gratification, you can have really nice things!

There's nothing special about me, I'm just a Pipefitter from Wisconsin. I had a goal to own a Porsche since I was 18 years old. I saved my pennies, put off vacations and waited...and waited and waited. Until I found the car I was comfortable putting my hard earned cash on. I found my unicorn, I can't believe it really. I couldn't have done it with all of you guys whether you know it or not, and for that I thank you, all of you.
That's awesome man!
The following 2 users liked this post by Doug H:
Anthony Chan (12-03-2019), cannonball05 (12-02-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 09:00 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Here's another (3) plate ideas, Dawg:

Der Bus
Das Bus
Schulbus

I think "der" is proper German, but 'das" sounds better. Bus is same in both languages.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:50 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,038 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Here's another (3) plate ideas, Dawg:

Der Bus
Das Bus
Schulbus

I think "der" is proper German, but 'das" sounds better. Bus is same in both languages.
WORST
SUGGESTIONS
EVER!!

You forgot
SHORTBUS
Old 12-03-2019, 10:56 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Congratulations, I still feel the excitement driving mine. She's a bold colour......good for you
Old 12-20-2019, 10:10 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Is it April yet?
Old 02-23-2020, 07:12 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Is it April yet?
NO! And being sunny and 55 degrees outside during the last week of February doesn't help
Old 02-23-2020, 10:41 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 694 Likes on 419 Posts

Then perfect time to spend garage time. Put in clear side markers. Install a DSC module. Good clay and wax job, leather treatment, clean and wax wheels so brake dust easy to remove. Clean and clay all glass. Walk around with wine and talk low ramblings of love to her. Hate to burst your bubble but you’re now in a bad place. You’ll spend years going in garage just to see, touch, enjoy being with her. The thrill doesn’t wear off. It’s an addiction.
Gorgeous car with way cool touches with all the interior treatment. Very very cool car!
Old 02-24-2020, 04:21 AM
jkoravos
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
NO! And being sunny and 55 degrees outside during the last week of February doesn't help

Sounds like great driving weather! I take mine out in the winter when it's over 50 and dry. This time of year that's barely once a month but it's nice to get it out. I don't like the idea of putting it away completely for the winter. I've driven it less and 10 days since the beginning November but I like the anticipation of looking at the 10-day forecast and seeing a warm day coming up.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:18 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jkoravos
Sounds like great driving weather! I take mine out in the winter when it's over 50 and dry. This time of year that's barely once a month but it's nice to get it out. I don't like the idea of putting it away completely for the winter. I've driven it less and 10 days since the beginning November but I like the anticipation of looking at the 10-day forecast and seeing a warm day coming up.
I would have loved to take it for a drive yesterday, the weather was perfect. It is put away at a remote location until at least April 1st. We have had an unusually warm winter in SE Wisconsin and Chicago. Days like yesterday fool you into thinking spring is right around the corner. It's not, 7-12" snow coming tomorrow, back to reality. It wouldn't be so bad but I had to put it away about a week after taking delivery of it. I did happen to pay her a visit this afternoon where she's stored and pinch myself again.

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
Then perfect time to spend garage time. Put in clear side markers. Install a DSC module. Good clay and wax job, leather treatment, clean and wax wheels so brake dust easy to remove. Clean and clay all glass. Walk around with wine and talk low ramblings of love to her. Hate to burst your bubble but you’re now in a bad place. You’ll spend years going in garage just to see, touch, enjoy being with her. The thrill doesn’t wear off. It’s an addiction.
Gorgeous car with way cool touches with all the interior treatment. Very very cool car!
Thank you for the nice compliments, it took a long time to find her. I do like the idea of waxing the wheels. Put the clear markers on the first day. The DSC module is intriguing to me. It's a cab so not going to be track oriented but perhaps for better comfort while cruising. Then sport settings for hitting the twisties and perhaps up at Road America. I have also thought about a Numeric shifter but need to get better acquainted with the transmission and the shifting before I think I would appreciate it.

Once she's let out of winter prison it will be time for a good detail and shake out the cobwebs. Once she's out for the summer, it will finally sink in that its mine.

Old 02-24-2020, 06:40 PM
FlatHat
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Congrats! I bought my first Porsche (997.1) last summer...no regrets! I'm in Milwaukee and have a great Indy here if you need a referral...Steinlifters PCA is filled with great folks too...Hans
Old 02-24-2020, 06:45 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

Sweet ride! Congrats! You know what the coolest thing is? When you go out to the garage the next morning and there is a Porche 911 sitting in there! Took me several days to get used to it LOL!
Old 02-24-2020, 07:01 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlatHat
Congrats! I bought my first Porsche (997.1) last summer...no regrets! I'm in Milwaukee and have a great Indy here if you need a referral...Steinlifters PCA is filled with great folks too...Hans
Yes, for sure. Who do you use? I am a member now of the Milwaukee PCA. Hopefully see you around.

Quick Reply: I did it! I bought my first Porsche.