Sponsored by:

Goodbye 996 - Hello 997

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 03:01 PM
jcompleto
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Goodbye 996 - Hello 997

Well... that's it. That itch to buy a different car came and I was not satisfied until I would put a new toy in the stable ... I think you all fellows know how often it kicks in.
One issue is that I already had 3 cars in the stable and was very hard to argue at home that I would need a 4th one... So I had a very difficult time to choose which one to let go

2017 BMW X1 - Since it's the only automatic, 4WD, sized car at home that can take us skiing, cycling, shopping, load furniture ... It was a no brainer that it would stay.
2018 BMW M2 - Super fun and fast car - very practical and usable as a daily. Bought new and now only 11k km (~7k miles)
2000 996 C2 coupé - No introductions needed since you all know this model

It was a hard choice between the M2 and the 996 C2.
Option 1: Get a good GT car
Trade the BMW 2 by a good GT car for long trips like Panamera, BMW 6 Series, E-Class Coupé ... or similar. I would keep a practical car (X1), Sporty car (996) and a good GT.

Option 2: Get a convertible to take the most out of summer
This would mean trade the 996 with another P-Car that could be compromise on short blast open top drives and still be able to do long distance in spirited driving (I have thousands of kms of autobahns almost at my door step)

Option 2 it was. A very hard choice to let my Ocean Blue 996 go, but welcoming a nice Midnight Blue 997 S Convertible.

My 996:

And my new 997:

They are very similar and very different cars. The 996 was more raw, with all the senses more alert to the road feedback, engine noise, rigid (due to coupe vs cabrio).
The 997 is more civilized, comfortable and compliant for long distance cruise. Both are equally fast on the road with 997 having more torque across the revs band - still, I wouldn't say I would be faster in one or the other even with 55hp difference, the weight penalty in the cabrio almost reduces it to nothing...

I'm extremely happy with the 997 S and I hope I can do many open top cruises through the alps in the next summer season.

Last edited by jcompleto; 11-19-2019 at 03:03 PM. Reason: wrong title
Old 11-19-2019, 04:02 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Congratulations on the new ride! It's interesting to hear the differences and similarities that you point out. The open top cruising in the Alps sounds awesome!
Old 11-19-2019, 08:57 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Congrats!!
Old 11-19-2019, 09:19 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 786 Likes on 445 Posts

you probably already know this from owning a 996 but if you miss any of the rawness, there are a few choice mods you can do to a C2S to make it really raw but still super nice.
For Engine noise: BMC filter + Fister mod to exhaust. On top of that you could to the IPD plenum and GT3 throttle body to add a bit more.
For rigidness: springs and swaybars or coilovers. I got my hands on some OEM GT3 coilovers and it really transformed the car (after having OEM sport PASM for a few months and then after adding Eibach Springs for a few more months).
You could add semi solid engine mounts to see if that gives you more of the road feedback you desire if the suspension mods do not do that.
...or just leave it alone and enjoy, haha.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:39 PM
uncle_sam
Advanced

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jcompleto
Well... that's it. That itch to buy a different car came and I was not satisfied until I would put a new toy in the stable ... I think you all fellows know how often it kicks in.
One issue is that I already had 3 cars in the stable and was very hard to argue at home that I would need a 4th one... So I had a very difficult time to choose which one to let go

2017 BMW X1 - Since it's the only automatic, 4WD, sized car at home that can take us skiing, cycling, shopping, load furniture ... It was a no brainer that it would stay.
2018 BMW M2 - Super fun and fast car - very practical and usable as a daily. Bought new and now only 11k km (~7k miles)
2000 996 C2 coupé - No introductions needed since you all know this model

It was a hard choice between the M2 and the 996 C2.
Option 1: Get a good GT car
Trade the BMW 2 by a good GT car for long trips like Panamera, BMW 6 Series, E-Class Coupé ... or similar. I would keep a practical car (X1), Sporty car (996) and a good GT.

Option 2: Get a convertible to take the most out of summer
This would mean trade the 996 with another P-Car that could be compromise on short blast open top drives and still be able to do long distance in spirited driving (I have thousands of kms of autobahns almost at my door step)

Option 2 it was. A very hard choice to let my Ocean Blue 996 go, but welcoming a nice Midnight Blue 997 S Convertible.

My 996:

And my new 997:

They are very similar and very different cars. The 996 was more raw, with all the senses more alert to the road feedback, engine noise, rigid (due to coupe vs cabrio).
The 997 is more civilized, comfortable and compliant for long distance cruise. Both are equally fast on the road with 997 having more torque across the revs band - still, I wouldn't say I would be faster in one or the other even with 55hp difference, the weight penalty in the cabrio almost reduces it to nothing...

I'm extremely happy with the 997 S and I hope I can do many open top cruises through the alps in the next summer season.
@jcompleto: I was similarly situated as you in that, I had to give up my 996 C4 Millennium Ed. Plus an e92 M3 which were replaced by a 2009 997.2 C2S PDK. Loved both cars but couldn't give enough seat/drive time so I figured one Porsche would have all the attention so I can drive the wheels off it.

Agree with your view. My 996 felt more raw, involved bcuz MT, more nimble too since it was lighter even if AWD. Somehow the sensation of speed also made me feel it was faster. The 997S while bigger is more cocooned, so I guess the road noise is less. It's heavier too with a 3.8L vs 996's 3.4L. But it's damn quick even on normal mode (got the Sport Chrono) so the huge torque just pulls its weight easily. You don't realise you're actually in license-seizure territory! No regrets on the 997S. I love its more complete package overall for me.
Enjoy our new rides!

Old 11-21-2019, 02:22 PM
jcompleto
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you everyone for your responses.
Well, I'm very happy with the 997 and I knew exactly what I was about to get. Yes, it's not as raw as the 996 and I understand that there's a set of mods that could transform it into a mean machine, but... it's perfect for what it is - Sporty enough to be fun and compliant enough for long spirited drives. I'm very happy with the compromise. To be very honest, in this specific case I would not even mind if it would be a Tiptronic... I think it would fit the car soul for a relaxed cruising, but responsive enough to be fun. Heck, I'm very happy with the manual, but just saying that I was not looking for a track machine.
It's a perfectly sensible do-it-all machine with nothing wrong with it.

Is it fast? Oh yes... fast enough.
Is it fun? Yep, not aggressive, but press the Sport/PASM button and feel the road on your spine and the throttle on your toes
Is it comfortable? Another yes, top up or top down, and it's very comfortable and my wife also has a good time as a passenger.
Long rides? I can do 700kms in a row with all creature comforts... heated seats, air-con, full leather, lombar support, BOSE stereo... etc

If you're looking for GT3 feeling, look elsewhere. If you want a car that can do a bit of everything... this is it.

@uncle_sam I agree with the amazing torque availability that takes care of the additional weight and although power is never enough, keeping the tachometer between 4k and 7k rpm in winding roads is more than I can usually handle... and no, I would not be faster in a GT3 or GT2, I would just be more scared of it ... and that would be probably fun eheheh

Old 11-21-2019, 03:07 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats, nice car! I also have to say that was a nice-lookin' 996. Can't go wrong here!

Quick Reply: Goodbye 996 - Hello 997