Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blondie: my C2S find

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2019 | 11:44 PM
uncle_sam
Advanced

Default Blondie: my C2S find

Hello, fellow Porschephiles. Been lurking around here for some time now since acquiring my 997.2S 3 months ago. This is my 2nd 911 after being introduced to Porsche 911 early last year thru a 2000 996 C4 MT Millenium Edition that I bought from a friend. She’s the ugly duckling of the 911s for sure but her beauty actually grew on me over time. I spent a ton of bucks refreshing mostly the suspension aside from major maintenance and IMS/RMS repairs for peace of mind. She’s a peach to drive, handles as tight and nimble despite already an “aging 20-yr old” dame.

However, I couldn’t rack up as much mileage as my drive/seat time is divided with another sportscar, my e92 M3. So after much thought, I decided to let go both of these and get myself instead a 997 which I can solely drive the wheels off. I stumbled upon a low mileage unit from another friend, 2009 C2S PDK. While I still miss the 996 C4 & M3, I don’t regret having the 997.2S. It’s quicker, more comfy, with more modern updates yet retains its raw mechanical feel. Oh, and the PDK is just right for daily driving here in Manila especially with our horrendous traffic within the metro. Car comes in Carrara White exterior on Sea Blue leather interiors. Sport Chrono pack: Sport, Sport+ with PASM. PCM 3.0 with Bluetooth & CD. Bi-xenons and LED DRLs.

Did learn quite a bit from this forum’s threads, so have embarked on some repairs and refresh so far:
- Major maintenance (6-yr cycle)
- PDK oil, filter/oil pan changes
- Control arms, tie rods, stabilizer links
- DSC Sport V1 PASM controller
- Engine and tranny mounts
- Front & Rear Bilstein B4 Damptronics, strut mounts

Just fitted the DSC PASM controller recently, and boy, did it feel like night and day after. Condition of MetroManila roads here made the ride even more crashy and harsh just on Normal mode. The DSC surely smoothened things out going over pock-marked roads while still remaining firm and compliant. I expect even better ride and less noise/vibration when the engine mounts and Bilsteins are installed.

This is what I gave up. An ///M3...

This one too. The C4 Millennium Edition...

And got this baby instead. Her name is Blondie. Well-maintained, low mileage, fully stock.

Luscious blue interiors, I like…

Plan to keep Blondie as stock as possible. Mainly DD with occasional track once or twice a year, but that’s it. Nearly done with all the refresh except perhaps for one more mod. The sound for this sportscar is too tame if not flaccid. So seriously thinking to upgrade the exhaust mufflers with something aggressive but not scandalous to rouse the neighbors off their sleep. Choosing between PSE (with OEM valve switch) or IPE (with remote switch). Any thoughts or comments on either of the two? It’s purely for sound as I understand any power gain claims are minimal anyway (who feels the +10-12 hp gains? My butt dyno ain’t that sensitive.) So welcome any feedback.
The following 4 users liked this post by uncle_sam:
BLU997 (11-08-2019), Ohio Performance (01-10-2020), Ratchet1025 (01-11-2020), ThunderRolls (11-09-2019)
Old 11-08-2019 | 12:29 AM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Nice Car! Congrats.....many years of safe good driving. Already great upgrades. Love the sea foam interior too, mines Arctic silver and sea foam blue, love it....Cheers, mike
Old 11-08-2019 | 12:36 AM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Nice C2S. Looks very "crisp".

You should consider a pair of Sharkwerks cross-over pipes before a muffler mod. It lowers the exhaust an octave for a more aggressive sound but doesn't get loud until about 4000 RPM. Easy DIY and saves some weight too.
Old 11-08-2019 | 12:43 AM
uncle_sam
Advanced

@Hula: will keep that in mind. Does SW x-pipe have any drone notes?
Old 11-08-2019 | 02:30 AM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by uncle_sam
@Hula: will keep that in mind. Does SW x-pipe have any drone notes?
Nope. No droning. SharkWerks makes a quality product. And they give you a toy shark with every purchase.

Not to complicate your decision but I want to differentiate a by-pass pipe (I call it a cross pipe) and an x-pipe. An X-pipe, like the one Fabspeed offers, actually intermixes the exhaust gases. It joins the pipes in the middle to form an "X". In some applications, this configuration can provide a mild performance increase. It uses a "scavenging" effect of the exhaust pulses to improve exhaust flow. There isn't always a benefit because it also introduces turbulence. SharkWerks experimented with an X-pipe but they were not happy with the results. SW instead chose to keep the exhaust gasses independent with a simpler, smoother flowing, center exhaust by-pass. For what it's worth, they wrote up a Tuning Guide based on their findings.

https://www.sharkwerks.com/tuning-gu...-gts-2009-2012

Last edited by Hula; 11-08-2019 at 02:50 AM.
Old 11-08-2019 | 03:46 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Welcome! That E92 was a great color, I really enjoyed my time driving one of those. The 911 seems well kept. You might consider a Porsche PDK Sport Design (paddles) steering wheel. It definitely improves the driving experience.
Old 11-08-2019 | 09:37 AM
uncle_sam
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hula
Nope. No droning. SharkWerks makes a quality product. And they give you a toy shark with every purchase.

Not to complicate your decision but I want to differentiate a by-pass pipe (I call it a cross pipe) and an x-pipe. An X-pipe, like the one Fabspeed offers, actually intermixes the exhaust gases. It joins the pipes in the middle to form an "X". In some applications, this configuration can provide a mild performance increase. It uses a "scavenging" effect of the exhaust pulses to improve exhaust flow. There isn't always a benefit because it also introduces turbulence. SharkWerks experimented with an X-pipe but they were not happy with the results. SW instead chose to keep the exhaust gasses independent with a simpler, smoother flowing, center exhaust by-pass. For what it's worth, they wrote up a Tuning Guide based on their findings.

https://www.sharkwerks.com/tuning-gu...-gts-2009-2012
@Hula: Thanks for the tip. Appears like a practical approach, to try out the center bypass first. The PSE may come later, or maybe not. Price looks reasonable too at 895 listed.
Old 11-09-2019 | 12:44 AM
Presto
Pro

I’d suggest you look at exhaust options from fvd as well. Great buy and fantastic car
Old 01-10-2020 | 03:50 AM
uncle_sam
Advanced

Default Blondie (cont'd)

Just completed my last 2 mods as Xmas gift to myself.

This one came first. Went with the IPE mufflers with center X-pipe and valvetronic switch. The quiet (off) mode is decent at cold start/idle. But the loud (open/on) mode is awesome with throaty metallic song at 4k revs! No droning too.

Nice pipework finish, IPE.

Love the Ti tips.

The following users liked this post:
BLU997 (03-20-2021)
Old 01-10-2020 | 07:45 AM
Carrera991
Racer

that is a really nice car!
uncle_sam (01-11-2020)
Old 01-10-2020 | 03:22 PM
brainiac
4th Gear

I really like the look of those tips. Super sweet.
uncle_sam (01-11-2020)
Old 01-10-2020 | 04:55 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

The tips match the interior.
uncle_sam (01-11-2020)
Old 01-10-2020 | 06:08 PM
street rod
Drifting

Really nice, congrats. Now drive it like you stole it.
Old 01-11-2020 | 02:42 AM
uncle_sam
Advanced

And the 2nd & last mod (hopefully, ) done yesterday, swapped my stock pdk steering wheel push buttons with the sport design SW paddle shifters.

Got it on sale from Suncoast last Dec. Was initially planning to re-wrap the black leather to match the sea blue interiors. But it turned out the black leather-aluminium spoke combo stood as accent contrasts to the blue interior. @fined: agree the pdk driving experience is now much enhanced.

Old 01-11-2020 | 09:38 AM
Carrera991
Racer

Nice steering, nice watch! I have a D-Blue.

Quick Reply: Blondie: my C2S find