Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic Tile vs Swisstrax vs Racedeck opinions and pics?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 01:19 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 591 Posts
Default Ceramic Tile vs Swisstrax vs Racedeck opinions and pics?

Hey there

I have a three car garage, which includes a 6,000lb Tesla X and my Porsches and motorcycles.

Tile is about $10-11k. I'm concerned that tile will crack.

At $3k, Racedeck and Swisstrax look OK, but I've not seen it in person, and I want something that will look new in five years. Even 10. Everyone here seems to love it but one guy who's looked like hell.

Any opinions greatly appreciated, esp from those who have long-term use stories. Also why you chose between Swisstrax or Racedeck.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:35 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 350 Likes on 155 Posts

We’ve had 3 garages with Swisstrax and love it. Every time we move the buyers, meaning the man, wants the flooring as part of the deal. Hubby installed a two car garage in about three hours.
We just moved and bought a home with a four car garage....WooHoo! And will be measuring for more Swisstrax.
Years ago we ordered samples of RaceDeck and made our decision to go with Swiss.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:17 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

I'm concerned about them getting smudgy and dirty, and not having that look I want.

Wish I could see it in person.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:44 PM
NJtarga4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Floors

I went with racedeck and my wife designed it for just two cars. Best thousand dollars I spent. Ceramic tile deteriorates and stains too, grout gets ugly go with the plastic.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:14 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

I would encourage any buyer of either Racedeck or Swisstrax to see it in person, walk on it and make sure you are comfortable with the characteristics on these type floors. I did that and went with a professionally applied epoxy floor with flakes and clearcoat. All of them are great upgrades to a standard cement floor.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:33 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 136 Posts

I think you mean 'porcelain', not ceramic. There's a big difference. I'm no expert, but a little internet research can be very informative.

A few characteristics are important to determine before just laying down any tile from Home Depot. Porcelain tile is rated on the PEI scale which determines its durability and resistance to wear. Tiles with a PEI of 4 or 5 are required for a garage and the loads placed on them. Many people have attested to their durability and resistance to cracking, including from dropping tools (Jack Olsen and his '12-Gauge Garage').
Slip resistance (DCOF) and moisture absorption are also important factors to consider.
As far as appearance, porcelain tile looks infinitely better than plastic. I've never seen Swisstrax in person, but I have seen several examples of Race Deck that look terrible due to dirt and friction. Think about rubber mats you would use in your car during the winter and imagine how that would look covering your entire garage floor.

I'm in the post-planning/pre-build stage of our new home and have been dead set on porcelain tile. But at around 1100 sq/ft, with tiles ranging anywhere from minimum $2-4/sqft + approximately $10/sqft for labor, it may be cost prohibitive. If I opt for another solution, I would rather do some form of polished concrete or as a last resort, epoxy or polyaspartic flooring (not a fan of their appearance).
Old 11-02-2019, 11:22 AM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 464 Likes on 296 Posts

There are mats that you can roll out and order in custom sizes and colors/patterns to cover you whole floor or most of it with off the shelf sizes and not very expensive. Google is you friend.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:38 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bonehead
I think you mean 'porcelain', not ceramic. There's a big difference. I'm no expert, but a little internet research can be very informative.

A few characteristics are important to determine before just laying down any tile from Home Depot. Porcelain tile is rated on the PEI scale which determines its durability and resistance to wear. Tiles with a PEI of 4 or 5 are required for a garage and the loads placed on them. Many people have attested to their durability and resistance to cracking, including from dropping tools (Jack Olsen and his '12-Gauge Garage').
Slip resistance (DCOF) and moisture absorption are also important factors to consider.
As far as appearance, porcelain tile looks infinitely better than plastic. I've never seen Swisstrax in person, but I have seen several examples of Race Deck that look terrible due to dirt and friction. Think about rubber mats you would use in your car during the winter and imagine how that would look covering your entire garage floor.

I'm in the post-planning/pre-build stage of our new home and have been dead set on porcelain tile. But at around 1100 sq/ft, with tiles ranging anywhere from minimum $2-4/sqft + approximately $10/sqft for labor, it may be cost prohibitive. If I opt for another solution, I would rather do some form of polished concrete or as a last resort, epoxy or polyaspartic flooring (not a fan of their appearance).
Yea I agree. Porcelain is beautiful. My garage is about 900 sq ft so it will add up. Epoxy can look good, but it can peel even with good prep. There are companies that warranty their work for 10 to even 15 years and I suspect their two-stage paint would cost 1/3 of tile.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:05 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts
Default practicality of plastic tiles?

How would you jack anything up on Swisstrax or Racedeck? Wouldn't the jack crush the plastic and inhibit proper rolling of the jack? Seems like a solution only if you never work on your car.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:21 PM
boris_gti
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

My garage originally had appoxy on the floor. But 8 years later it started pealing. So I went with the Racedeck.
No issues with jacking up the car. But if you think that you might have all the force on one small point, I suggest placing a 1/8” stainless or aluminum plate under the jack or stand to spread the load (force).
2 years later and it still looks great.
Cleans super easy. I usually vacuum the garage and then just use a wet mop if you have some bad stains.
Installation is very fast. Took about 3 hours to do the complete garage.
Couldn’t be happier with the purchase.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Tile vs Swisstrax vs Racedeck opinions and pics?