Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2019 | 05:17 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Default PSE question

This is a quick one. I would like to try PSE on all the time for a while but don't want the sport throttle map to deal with whenever PSE is on. Is the orange connector pictured the one to unplug? It is on the right side in front of the airbox. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2019 | 08:19 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

I was having a discussion about the operation of this solenoid with another member. Those with PSE OEM can chime in if I am off base.

The thinking is this. The OEM buttlerfly valves on each muffler come stock in the "OPEN" resting position. This means that when the engine is off and no vacuum is being applied the valves will stay "OPEN" which is how it should be to allow the sport exhaust noise.
When the engine is started and running then vacuum is applied the valves will be sucked in to the "closed" position, that is until you hit the PSE/Sport Button in the car, which would then close the solenoid actuator and close off suction to the butterfly valves, which would then allow them to OPEN again in to their resting positions.

With this theory in mind that would mean the solenoid actuator (connected to orange plug, power source) is an open to air flow design while the PSE button / or Sport mode is OFF. This allows vacuum to run through it. When the PSE/Sport button is actuated a signal is sent to the Solenoid which tells it to shut OFF vacuum.

So here is the big question for those with PSE and have done this mod. Please enlighten us... So if you disconnect the orange power source does the solenoid stay in the Open or Closed position???

There is obviously and easy way to test it. Have the car running in sport mode with sport exhaust on and just unplug the orange connector. If you hear the exhaust valves shut, well then you have your answer. If the exhaust valves stay open, then try shutting off the car for a few seconds. Then start it back up and let us know if the valves remain open, or go back to their vacuum closed position.

If that is the case, then you can try disconnecting one of the 2 black vacuum lines at the bottom of the solenoid. One line is the vacuum intake line directly from the engine. The other vacuum line goes directly to a T-Bar that splits and goes to the valves on the mufflers. You can disconnect the vacuum line from the engine, put a plug in it so no dust gets into engine. Now the exhaust valves should remain OPEN since no vacuum is going to them regardless of ON\OFF position of sport mode. I would also put a plug on the solenoid vacuum tip you removed the engine vacuum line from.

Hope that makes sense. Let us know what you discover.

I found this guys video interesting. He explains how to test if vacuum solenoids work/function.

Last edited by qikqbn; 10-19-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-19-2019 | 10:25 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

I had read somewhere disconnecting the electrical connection would result in butterfly staying open in the exhaust. Guess I will have to just try it.
Old 10-20-2019 | 03:04 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Disconnecting the electrical connector will prevent the solenoid from pulling vacuum so the mufflers will be in sport mode all the time.
Old 10-20-2019 | 03:40 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Vielen dank.
Old 10-20-2019 | 10:22 PM
bstmusic
Instructor

I disconnected mine for full-time PSE and love it. Open all day, all night.

Quick Reply: PSE question