Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS Understeer, Anyone Else Notice and How to Dial Out???

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 12:06 AM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

So 245s will fit the front of a 997.1 C2S? How do they sit on the 8” wheel? I might go that route with a 295 rear next time around. I believe I went as much front camber as possible on the front and zero toe and just had it on track. I wasn’t impressed and struggled with understeer bad, especially when I accidentally left stability assist on. Mostly tracking an S2k that likes to rotate and kill you, driving this car well was a challenge. My student had a 996 C4S and TBH it handled way better.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:08 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

If you decide to get new tires I would avoid these: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ndard%20Brakes

Can't remember if I already mentioned this in another thread. Either way, worth repeating. Just got a new set of four of these to try something different than the Michelins. Grip and all other aspects are right on par with the Michelins to my senses but man.....the road noise. Brand new they howl like the Michelins did with 12,000 miles on them.

Tire Rack's description:

The Potenza RE-71R is an Extreme Performance Summer tire developed for serious sports car, sports coupe and performance sedan driving enthusiasts looking for Bridgestone's fastest DOT-legal street radial.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:12 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 166 Posts

My buddy had pzeros on his 991.2. Tons of understeer. Switching to PS4Ss eliminated it.
The following users liked this post:
Doug H (10-19-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 08:22 AM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
If you decide to get new tires I would avoid these: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ndard%20Brakes

Can't remember if I already mentioned this in another thread. Either way, worth repeating. Just got a new set of four of these to try something different than the Michelins. Grip and all other aspects are right on par with the Michelins to my senses but man.....the road noise. Brand new they howl like the Michelins did with 12,000 miles on them.

Tire Rack's description:

The Potenza RE-71R is an Extreme Performance Summer tire developed for serious sports car, sports coupe and performance sedan driving enthusiasts looking for Bridgestone's fastest DOT-legal street radial.
The RE71s definitely have more grip than the Michelins, they are really the street tire of choice for chasing lap times. But yes with that comes a price.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:24 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bgoetz
The RE71s definitely have more grip than the Michelins, they are really the street tire of choice for chasing lap times. But yes with that comes a price.
Just got them so haven't explored the full capacity yet but I take your word for it. What little driving I've done since mounting them, they really feel glued to the road. Getting used to all the racket and they look pretty cool too. Again though, anyone looking for a quiet, plush ride, this tire won't make you happy.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:53 AM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts
Wink

Just got them so haven't explored the full capacity yet but I take your word for it. What little driving I've done since mounting them, they really feel glued to the road. Getting used to all the racket and they look pretty cool too. Again though, anyone looking for a quiet, plush ride, this tire won't make you happy.
I use those tires for track duty, I don't think I could deal with the racket and harsh ride on a daily basis.
Driving on them to and from the track is enough!
Old 10-21-2019, 03:45 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Lots of wrong recommendations here. If you want to increase your oversteer then you could just: increase front tire pressure (on track we have very similar front and rear around 34-36 hot); add 245 tires on a front, more negative camber for front, and stiffer rear sway bar.
Learn how to brake unto the corner where you hard in the beginning and easy off at the end to smooth transition to gas. Usually opposite to what most people do. Go to a local DE event before you start investing in hardware or new tires. You can do a lot with just your wheel input and your feet.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:54 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by kisik
Lots of wrong recommendations here. If you want to increase your oversteer then you could just: increase front tire pressure (on track we have very similar front and rear around 34-36 hot); add 245 tires on a front, more negative camber for front, and stiffer rear sway bar.
Learn how to brake unto the corner where you hard in the beginning and easy off at the end to smooth transition to gas. Usually opposite to what most people do. Go to a local DE event before you start investing in hardware or new tires. You can do a lot with just your wheel input and your feet.
Been trail braking 911s in wheel to wheel racing since the mid 80s back when we had to to get any front end grip. Also been to a few DEs. See dig line. This is not a turn in issue. As indicated above, I am on maintenance throttle, throttle steering well after turn in. I am also at and just exceeding 10/10ths. I usually get a neutral slide, not a push with 911s doing just what I am doing. I am pretty sure a decent set of tires will ameliorate the problem.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:27 PM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kisik
Why would increased front pressure (hence contact patch reduction) increase oversteer?
Old 10-23-2019, 02:24 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by roadie13
I use those tires for track duty, I don't think I could deal with the racket and harsh ride on a daily basis.
Driving on them to and from the track is enough!

I hear you. I usually do my due diligence before diving headlong into unknown waters and I thought I did just that before buying these tires. Didn't see any reviews on Tire Rack referencing excessive road noise but then, the reviews cover all kinds of cars so maybe the wide 305's on the 997 is the culprit. Went back and read a lot of the reviews again and still didn't see but a few of them mentioning road noise. But like I said, these tires are mounted on a wide range of cars, most of them with much narrower rear tires than 305's. So again, maybe the noise increases exponentially with the width of the tire.

Work mostly out of my home office now so don't put a lot of miles on the car and I'm ok with them. I actually like everything about them except for the howling at speed.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:50 AM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

I hear you. I usually do my due diligence before diving headlong into unknown waters and I thought I did just that before buying these tires. Didn't see any reviews on Tire Rack referencing excessive road noise but then, the reviews cover all kinds of cars so maybe the wide 305's on the 997 is the culprit. Went back and read a lot of the reviews again and still didn't see but a few of them mentioning road noise. But like I said, these tires are mounted on a wide range of cars, most of them with much narrower rear tires than 305's. So again, maybe the noise increases exponentially with the width of the tire.

Work mostly out of my home office now so don't put a lot of miles on the car and I'm ok with them. I actually like everything about them except for the howling at speed.
They are phenomenal tires, and I like their look too! I run 245/305 on standard 8/10 inch wide wheels. Some of the noise they make on asphalt is like removing masking tape
But boy are you glad when you arrive trackside...

Last edited by roadie13; 05-11-2020 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:43 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by roadie13
They are phenomenal tires, and I like their look too! I run 245/305 on standard 8/10 inch wheels. Some of the noise they make on asphalt is like removing masking tape
But boy are you glad when you arrive trackside...
Or duct tape But couldn't agree more. Noise aside, great performance tires with a cool look adding to the overall impression.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:42 PM
Nero_tDriveway
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A touch of negative camber in the front should help you out

Quick Reply: GTS Understeer, Anyone Else Notice and How to Dial Out???