Sponsored by:

GTS Mod Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 02:21 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Are you guys running stock or GT3 camber settings when using springs. Increased negative camber will just make the wheel tuck more pronounced.
I think there's only so much you can do (not enough) with adjusting camber settings if you lower the car. The stock offset on the GTS is already pretty conservative and as you say, lowering it with either springs or coilovers will only make that worse. So back to what's already been said. No inexpensive spacer solution with CL wheels. After market wheels with custom offset specified by you is the only solution. Worth it though imo. Getting it right on a GTS requires both springs/coilovers and wheels to get that stance I suspect you're looking for.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:20 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I think there's only so much you can do (not enough) with adjusting camber settings if you lower the car. The stock offset on the GTS is already pretty conservative and as you say, lowering it with either springs or coilovers will only make that worse. So back to what's already been said. No inexpensive spacer solution with CL wheels. After market wheels with custom offset specified by you is the only solution. Worth it though imo. Getting it right on a GTS requires both springs/coilovers and wheels to get that stance I suspect you're looking for.
I thought you could adjust camber on GTS stock suspension. We could not on my wife's C2, but I could have sworn I used to adjust camber on the 3 997 turbos I had when put coilovers on them. That's been a while though so maybe I am mistaken.

Camber does not bother me, albeit needing a new set of tires every 10k miles. I just don't want more tuck. I may be stuck having to get new wheels. Sadly, I like the stock wheels.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:56 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

I thought you could adjust camber on GTS stock suspension. We could not on my wife's C2, but I could have sworn I used to adjust camber on the 3 997 turbos I had when put coilovers on them. That's been a while though so maybe I am mistaken.

Camber does not bother me, albeit needing a new set of tires every 10k miles. I just don't want more tuck. I may be stuck having to get new wheels. Sadly, I like the stock wheels.

I think you're right about the camber adjustment but I have my doubts on whether or not it'll be enough to get the stance you're looking for. Of course I don't know what you're looking for but between the three 997's I've owned, all H&R springs lowered, spacers on the non CL wheels and after market wheels with new offsets on the CL wheels were the only solutions for me. Camber adjustments made a minuscule difference that didn't come close to the stance I wanted. Nowhere near close to the wheels flush with the fenders.
The following users liked this post:
Doug H (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 03:20 AM
pilfer
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you're right about the camber adjustment but I have my doubts on whether or not it'll be enough to get the stance you're looking for. Of course I don't know what you're looking for but between the three 997's I've owned, all H&R springs lowered, spacers on the non CL wheels and after market wheels with new offsets on the CL wheels were the only solutions for me. Camber adjustments made a minuscule difference that didn't come close to the stance I wanted. Nowhere near close to the wheels flush with the fenders.
I would use camber, negative camber, to avoid rubbing with a very low car. 911’s seem to have cavernous fender liners though.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:32 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pilfer
I would use camber, negative camber, to avoid rubbing with a very low car. 911’s seem to have cavernous fender liners though.
With springs, it would increase negative camber and tuck the top of the wheel in further. Without spacers, I would want to keep it at factory camber settings to keep tuck the same. With spacers, I would increase negative camber with the drop and pretty much just leave it there.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:36 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

I will just give springs a try if I can adjust camber back to factory spec after the drop. I would prefer to run a bit more negative camber on both the front and the rear and take some of the toe out, but the increased negative camber will just make tuck worse. I will probably give the Eibachs a try. I really liked the ride with them on my wife's 997.2.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:41 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pilfer
I will just give springs a try if I can adjust camber back to factory spec after the drop. I would prefer to run a bit more negative camber on both the front and the rear and take some of the toe out, but the increased negative camber will just make tuck worse. I will probably give the Eibachs a try. I really liked the ride with them on my wife's 997.2.

I can only repeat what I already said and emphasize that it's just my opinion. If you lower a 997 with coilovers, Eibachs, Techarts or H&R's, you will tuck the wheel further into the well. I've had camber and toe adjustments done and as I said in an earlier post, the visual impact was barely if at all noticeable to me. If you're ok with the wheel fairly far from flush with the fender then fine. Just lower it and leave it alone. If on the other hand you want a more wheel flush with the fender look you will need spacers for 5 lug wheels/coilovers or after market wheels with custom offsets for CL wheels.

As for any rubbing issues, I've had both configurations. H&R springs with spacers on 5 lug wheels and after market wheels with custom offsets on my GTS. No rubbing on either one. I think you have to slam it with coilovers to get into rubbing between wheels and fenders.

Quick Reply: GTS Mod Questions