How I fixed the "Headlight Beam Adjustment Fault" on my Porsche 997

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 12:54 PM
dc2000
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 26 Posts
Default How I fixed the "Headlight Beam Adjustment Fault" on my Porsche 997

Hello Rennlisters,

A few months ago, I ran into my first fault ever with my 2010 Porsche 911 Carrera S. I was driving over a bump when the "headlight beam adjustment fault" popped up. Prior threads mentioned the headlight leveling sensor on the front control arm. Another thread mentioned replacing a headlight. Well, I had no luck, but did discover that it was the headlight level sensor. The catch was that the sensor is on the rear driver side control arm!

Overall, it was a super easy fix. Diagnosing did take time though. I purchased a used headlight level sensor from a 987 Cayman for $17 shipped on ebay. I then replaced the headlight leveling sensor on the front driver's side control arm. This didn't fix the issue. I then removed the rear driver's side wheel and discovered that there was a second headlight leveling sensor. The bracket was clearly broken and just dangling. Fortunately, my used headlight sensor came with the mounting hardware, which is only around $5 for a new one. I replaced the mount and the fault went away! I did notice though that the broken mount had been epoxied together, so someone must have messed with it prior to my ownership. My guess is the stealership or an independent mechanic broke it.

Well, here's a DIY video of the fix in case anyone else has the issue. Hope this helps some of you!

Cheers,
DC

The following 3 users liked this post by dc2000:
997TTIRO (07-13-2022), Brendan Carley (01-19-2022), jvd (11-08-2020)
Old 09-29-2019, 08:59 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,778 Likes on 4,313 Posts

The leveling system works by comparing the readings from the front sensor and back sensor and that's how it knows how to adjust the light angle, but you've figured that out already. Good job.
Old 04-21-2023, 11:51 AM
Artoor
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dc2000
Hello Rennlisters,

A few months ago, I ran into my first fault ever with my 2010 Porsche 911 Carrera S. I was driving over a bump when the "headlight beam adjustment fault" popped up. Prior threads mentioned the headlight leveling sensor on the front control arm. Another thread mentioned replacing a headlight. Well, I had no luck, but did discover that it was the headlight level sensor. The catch was that the sensor is on the rear driver side control arm!

Overall, it was a super easy fix. Diagnosing did take time though. I purchased a used headlight level sensor from a 987 Cayman for $17 shipped on ebay. I then replaced the headlight leveling sensor on the front driver's side control arm. This didn't fix the issue. I then removed the rear driver's side wheel and discovered that there was a second headlight leveling sensor. The bracket was clearly broken and just dangling. Fortunately, my used headlight sensor came with the mounting hardware, which is only around $5 for a new one. I replaced the mount and the fault went away! I did notice though that the broken mount had been epoxied together, so someone must have messed with it prior to my ownership. My guess is the stealership or an independent mechanic broke it.

Well, here's a DIY video of the fix in case anyone else has the issue. Hope this helps some of you!

Cheers,
DC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eomFDr6VlPk

Thanks a lot for this movie, you saved me a lot of time and money!

Quick Reply: How I fixed the "Headlight Beam Adjustment Fault" on my Porsche 997