Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shipping my very first Porsche! Advice on carriers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 11:50 AM
drsooz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping my very first Porsche! Advice on carriers?

I am in the process of buying my first Porsche and I am beside myself excited. 2006 911. I need to ship it from CA to TN - any advice on carriers? And would anybody ship that car in the open? Everything I read makes me think I should spend the extra $$ to ship enclosed. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-19-2019, 11:56 AM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by drsooz
I am in the process of buying my first Porsche and I am beside myself excited. 2006 911. I need to ship it from CA to TN - any advice on carriers? And would anybody ship that car in the open? Everything I read makes me think I should spend the extra $$ to ship enclosed. Thanks in advance!
I just had my 3rs delivered to Texas from Arizona. I ended up going with McCollister's (who had moved my house years ago). 800-748-3160.

Covered transport from AZ to TX was 1495. Would definitely use them again.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:25 PM
jkoravos
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Intercity Lines shipped mine a few weeks ago. $1700 from Houston to Boston. They give a 5% discount to Rennlist members.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:48 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 287 Posts

+++ for http://www.angelsmovingautos.com/ My personal choice for coast to coast, but i do not think that they do enclosed.

Reliable and Intercity seem to get good marks on the forum

Lessons learned before settling on Angels.

- Lots of fly by night rackets out there. Low ballers, promises not kept, delays, etc.
- You pay for what you want. Enclosed will be higher and may be worth it to you. I used reliable for an enclosed move. on time and no damage
- inspect inspect and inspect at pickup and at delivery. not just the outside, but inside, engine compartment, and underneath. missing owners manuals, missing kit in the frunk, etc
The following users liked this post:
TractControlOff (09-20-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 01:16 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

I wouldn't ship my first 911. I probably wouldn't ship any car. But the first 911 was too important to leave in someone elses hands after having paid for it.

CA to TN should be a sweet road trip with long lasting memories.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:53 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
I wouldn't ship my first 911. I probably wouldn't ship any car. But the first 911 was too important to leave in someone elses hands after having paid for it.

CA to TN should be a sweet road trip with long lasting memories.
+1 via Utahs national parks!!!
The following users liked this post:
dmpslc (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 02:33 PM
hapa997
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plycon shipped my 997TT to CA from MN a few months ago. They were competitively priced compared to Intercity and Reliable, and were able to get the car to me a few days early without any stories/issues. Would definitely use them again in the future!
Old 09-19-2019, 03:29 PM
HOF Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

I have used Intercity and Reliable in the past, perfect results...usually a little pricier

Last 2 shipments were Plycar...both times were far less expensive than the others....communication not as great as the others, but cars came through perfectly. I would use them again.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:13 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 466 Likes on 166 Posts

I used UShip, they charged me ~$850 from Dallas to SF and ended up giving me a enclosed transport at no extra charge when they saw it was a Porsche. Was very happy with the bidding process on Uship and the eventual shipper I used.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:45 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 412 Posts

I used intercity and couldn't be happier. They are the actual carrier, not some broker contracting work to the lowest bidder. With the other shipping "brokers" like uship, it's a gamble. You save some money but ultimately don't know what carrier will transport your car. On a used Camry, that's probably the way to go. On a nice 911, I can't see the benefit of taking a risk with your car to save a few hundred bucks on shipping.
The following 2 users liked this post by 8Lug:
FlatsixS (11-09-2019), Intercity Lines (09-20-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 07:54 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

I shipped enclosed with Reliable from FL to TX. Would do again in a heartbeat. IMO there's night-and-day difference between open and closed transport. Closed is well worth the price difference.

Car arrived exactly as I had seen it in person.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:39 PM
HOF Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 8Lug
I used intercity and couldn't be happier. They are the actual carrier, not some broker contracting work to the lowest bidder. With the other shipping "brokers" like uship, it's a gamble. You save some money but ultimately don't know what carrier will transport your car. On a used Camry, that's probably the way to go. On a nice 911, I can't see the benefit of taking a risk with your car to save a few hundred bucks on shipping.

I totally agree, I have heard horror stories on the companies that ship your car to the lowest bidder....usually they are the lowest for a reason. Ship with a major, and you know exactly who has your car, and where they are on the route.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:14 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

Another vote for Reliable Transport. Enclosed for $1597 for NC to TX. Driver stayed in contact the whole way and they treated my car like gold. Would highly recommend.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:29 AM
drsooz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic tips thanks to all. Wish I could make the road trip and was planning on it - but found the perfect car before the perfect time. Will be planning that awesome road trip...
Old 09-20-2019, 02:04 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by drsooz

Gosh, there are so many of them. As others have said though, don't even think open transport. It's a long trip and it would be subject to all kinds of elements. Hail storm would be my biggest fear as unlikely as it may be even though your route goes right through tornado alley. Enclosed costs more but the difference to open is a pittance compared to what you paid for the car. I went through a broker with my GTS. Big laugh when the car showed up. A guy with a large pickup truck and an enclosed trailer behind it. Not a big trailer either. Doubt it would hold a car much larger than a 911.

All said though, a VERY professional operation despite the backwoods appearance. The checklist completed prior to loading the car was extremely detailed and accurate and was also signed off by the dealer. And as I recall it I paid around $900 for Ohio to southwest Florida which I think was very reasonable.

Quick Reply: Shipping my very first Porsche! Advice on carriers?