Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 and Akebono pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019 | 01:51 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Default 997.2 and Akebono pads

I never like the Porsche OEM pads due to the eye-sore brake dusts. On my daily driver, a BMW 328I, I use the Akebono pads and the result has been marvelous. No brake dusts and absolutely grabs when need it even when its cold. The modulation is perfect.

I have since changed the rear brake pads on my 997.2 and couldn't be happier. The only issue was a non-issue for me because the brake sensors won't fit and I don't use it anyways. There is plenty of unobstructed visual eyeballing if anyone wants to see the thickness of the brake pads without having to rely on the sensors. I hard-wire the sensor wires for continuity to disable lighting up on the instrument.

Now my problem is the front. I cannot find any Akebono pads that will fit the front. Has anybody found the Akebono front pads that will fit the 997.2 by forfeiting the brake sensors ? If anybody done it, do let me know what the part number is for the Akebono pads. Thanks
Old 09-12-2019 | 09:46 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

I used them for years on my Mercs and Boxsters. Fantastic pads and makes for easy cleaning day. I had the sensor issue on some also. Akebono really does a poor job of making it easy to get their pads and know they will fit. I would switch on my 991.2 in a second if I could find them. The only thing I can suggest is keep looking, they may very well make the front ones but just have to locate them. Where did you get the rears?
Old 09-12-2019 | 10:06 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
I never like the Porsche OEM pads due to the eye-sore brake dusts. On my daily driver, a BMW 328I, I use the Akebono pads and the result has been marvelous. No brake dusts and absolutely grabs when need it even when its cold. The modulation is perfect.

I have since changed the rear brake pads on my 997.2 and couldn't be happier. The only issue was a non-issue for me because the brake sensors won't fit and I don't use it anyways. There is plenty of unobstructed visual eyeballing if anyone wants to see the thickness of the brake pads without having to rely on the sensors. I hard-wire the sensor wires for continuity to disable lighting up on the instrument.

Now my problem is the front. I cannot find any Akebono pads that will fit the front. Has anybody found the Akebono front pads that will fit the 997.2 by forfeiting the brake sensors ? If anybody done it, do let me know what the part number is for the Akebono pads. Thanks
Another option if needed - have you considered Hawk Ceramic pads?
Many people on this forum use them (myself included). They are very good and produce much less dust than OEM pads.
Old 09-12-2019 | 10:12 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Yes, I tried the Hawk ceramic and although they have minimal dust, but i found their initial bite while you need it and when it is cold is not as good. On street driving, where you don't have the luxury to warm it up as on the track. when you need it you need that braking action immediately. The Akebonos, although you can't use it for tracking is perfect for me as a street brake pad. I like the instant reaction and the modulation.

Last edited by HenryPcar; 09-12-2019 at 11:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dartmouth (09-13-2019)
Old 09-12-2019 | 10:15 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by WhipE350
I used them for years on my Mercs and Boxsters. Fantastic pads and makes for easy cleaning day. I had the sensor issue on some also. Akebono really does a poor job of making it easy to get their pads and know they will fit. I would switch on my 991.2 in a second if I could find them. The only thing I can suggest is keep looking, they may very well make the front ones but just have to locate them. Where did you get the rears?
I know what you mean. Akebono wins hands down compared to OEM.
I use the EUR776 for the rear of the 997.2 and it fits perfectly, Although it has the slot for the brake sensors, but it won't fit. As I mentioned I don't use brake sensors anyways.
Old 09-13-2019 | 12:04 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Hawk makes a ton of pad compounds including a bunch of race compounds that are advertised as low dust and do require heat to perform. Are you sure you had the Performance Ceramic? The product number would be formatted HB###.Z###. It is a street compound and did not change initial behavior in cold temps in my experience. I definitely wouldn't describe them as a grabby pad though. The only time I've noticed a delay in the bite versus a semi-metallic compound is immediately after washing the car when the rotor and pad are wet. After a rotation to sweep the rotor they return to normal. I've driven quite a bit in snow the Hawk PC pads on the front and this has not in my experience been a practical problem when snow or rain driving.
Old 09-13-2019 | 02:13 PM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

What about Porterfield R4-S? That’s what I’m going to when the oe get low.
Old 09-13-2019 | 03:38 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

I've tried Akebono on my dad's car and they're great. For performance on a Porsche however, I highly recommend Ferodo DS2500, it's the ONLY pad I've tried on both Porsche and Audi that could possibly be called Street/Track, PERIOD!

Porterfield R4-S, Pagids, Hawks, etc... ALL either fail on the street or track, Ferodo however is simply miraculous and all you need on street tires if you track and you could drive home after tracking and it works great in rain/snow/cold without issues!
Old 09-13-2019 | 03:47 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by alexb76
I've tried Akebono on my dad's car and they're great. For performance on a Porsche however, I highly recommend Ferodo DS2500, it's the ONLY pad I've tried on both Porsche and Audi that could possibly be called Street/Track, PERIOD!

Porterfield R4-S, Pagids, Hawks, etc... ALL either fail on the street or track, Ferodo however is simply miraculous and all you need on street tires if you track and you could drive home after tracking and it works great in rain/snow/cold without issues!

My setup is geared for changing between street brake pads and track pads. But so far, other than my BMW I haven't tracked the Porsche, so to me a street pad is good enough and I highly vouch for Akebono.
The following users liked this post:
alexb76 (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019 | 04:16 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
My setup is geared for changing between street brake pads and track pads. But so far, other than my BMW I haven't tracked the Porsche, so to me a street pad is good enough and I highly vouch for Akebono.
Oh sure, for street, OEM, Akebono, etc.. are all sufficient.

Quick Reply: 997.2 and Akebono pads