Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery, key stuck in ignition, how do I pop frunk?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 08:54 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Trust me... it does not take much current to unlock the trunk. Any 12V power supply will do. Done it several times. But you need to use the FOB trunk release to open the hood. I do not understand why it was so difficult for you.

Re the cigarette lighter current limit... That socket is commonly use to charge the battery with maintainers debiting 3 and even 4.1A all the time. But that socket is not the recommended connection to energize the hood lock. The fuse panel connections are.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:34 PM
jkoravos
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

As often as people encounter this issue it's odd that Porsche hasn't added a manual frunk release. It's actually funny/sad that there never was one. Why would you make the battery access panel battery-actuated? It's just poor design.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:11 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jkoravos
As often as people encounter this issue it's odd that Porsche hasn't added a manual frunk release. It's actually funny/sad that there never was one. Why would you make the battery access panel battery-actuated? It's just poor design.
There is a manual release...... it’s just found under the drivers front wheel fender liner. I was able to do it with the wheel still on, but did have to jack it up.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:06 PM
jkoravos
Pro

Originally Posted by rodH
There is a manual release...... it’s just found under the drivers front wheel fender liner. I was able to do it with the wheel still on, but did have to jack it up.

Of course you CAN release it manually but I'm talking about a manual release mechanism that's easily accessible, as most cars tend to have.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:19 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Trust me... it does not take much current to unlock the trunk. Any 12V power supply will do. Done it several times. But you need to use the FOB trunk release to open the hood. I do not understand why it was so difficult for you.

Re the cigarette lighter current limit... That socket is commonly use to charge the battery with maintainers debiting 3 and even 4.1A all the time. But that socket is not the recommended connection to energize the hood lock. The fuse panel connections are.
The fob does in fact work sometimes, and you should absolutely try it always... but I've done both because I tried to actually make a product that would simplify this process. And I've had it do it both ways, Fob and Switch...and spend a few weeks trying to figure this out. And sometiems Fob wouldn't work but Switch did.

I would also state you DO have to have a decent connection on the Fuse Box RED Terminal, AND your Grounding point to energize the car for this to work... so if you are using a mini Lithium jumper I've had to pinch the clamp that was on the red fuse box terminal to make sure it was getting a good BITE on the copper on that RED Terminal. Additionally you have to make sure what you are attaching the ground to is a solid ground, or again you will not get a good enough connection. A Seat bolt is good if not painted, and so is the door stop.. but if you don't have a good ground connection it won't work not matter what.

Last it is a good amount of current...as I said about 8 amps... the reason I say this is because I tested it... if you don't have a good solid connection with a battery capable of powering the system it just won't trigger it. The reason for this is because if you connect a weak battery or low voltage to the fuse box connection and then ground it... you aren't only powering for the frunk switch... other parts of the cars electrical system are pulling that energy from the battery you are trying to use to energize you system through the fuse box. For example I tried using the small 12v Garage door opener batteries 4 paralleled together so I could make a compact device to trigger the hood latch... It would not do it. Then I did the current measurements and it needs a solid 8 amps if your battery is completely dead though if you have a decent battery not to0 dead it can be less current required.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:09 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 87 Posts

Of course you CAN release it manually but I'm talking about a manual release mechanism that's easily accessible, as most cars tend to have.
Ya. That was kind of my point. It has one, but it’s an absolute last resort
Old 08-28-2019, 10:21 AM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Likely the same engineer who thought it was a good idea to put the emergency release to the engine compartment behind the taillights which is only able to be removed when the lid is open.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:53 PM
jkoravos
Pro

Originally Posted by ColoradoMark
Likely the same engineer who thought it was a good idea to put the emergency release to the engine compartment behind the taillights which is only able to be removed when the lid is open.

The Porsche Emergency Release Engineer has been mailing it in for a while then.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:23 PM
jimfuerst
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 103 Posts

I have the Porsche trickle charger and the lighter attachment plug into the passenger's footwell

Quick Reply: Dead Battery, key stuck in ignition, how do I pop frunk?