Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X Pipe Delete Necessary on PSE 997.2 4S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 05:27 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Received 274 Likes on 141 Posts
Default X Pipe Delete Necessary on PSE 997.2 4S?

I have read quite a few comments that mention getting the PSE alone on a 997.2 is a waste. I am looking at $4500cdn for the PSE which I am definitely considering. But another $2500 for the x pipe delete (Fabspeed) seems a lot unless it really is that necessary.

I realize sound is very subjective but for those with PSE only, is the sound great on its own?

for those with PSE and x pipe delete, was it worth adding?
Old 08-18-2019, 07:40 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 391 Likes on 255 Posts

Worth the cross pipe. $2500 though? That’s insane pricing. Order from sharkwerks and pay someone a hundred or two to install or do it yourself.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:04 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by kellen
Worth the cross pipe. $2500 though? That’s insane pricing. Order from sharkwerks and pay someone a hundred or two to install or do it yourself.
Yea I agree. That cost is way too high. I have the x-pipe, but the Billy Boats version and it is a way subtle change do I am in the process of adding Fisters too. Mine is a 997.2 manual without PSE. X-pipe install is pretty easy.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:26 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Adding the PSE to a car is some work. Including buttons added to the dash area, running wires etc, I know as I was favoring having it done to my car but at that price point it wasn't worth it.

I installed an X pipe and then removed it a few days later, just too tiny and my idle speed went all to pot and the whole car shook. Put the original exhaust back on, good enough for me.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:35 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by nicholascanada
I have read quite a few comments that mention getting the PSE alone on a 997.2 is a waste. I am looking at $4500cdn for the PSE which I am definitely considering. But another $2500 for the x pipe delete (Fabspeed) seems a lot unless it really is that necessary.

I realize sound is very subjective but for those with PSE only, is the sound great on its own?

Exhaust sounds are very subjective...but if I had a 997 without factory PSE and wanted better sound I would not spend the money on factory PSE. It is very tame sounding, even with the center muffler delete. There are better sounding aftermarket options with the same on/off capability that PSE has.

Whatever system you decide on will need a center muffler delete and there are much cheaper options than the $2500 one you listed above. Here's an example that fits well:

https://www.topgear.co.uk/by-manufac...=manufacturers[117]
Old 08-18-2019, 08:36 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 273 Posts

I have fabspeed x-pipe (no cats). I bought that brand just in case I didn't like it, thought it would be easier to sell. I love it. But for headers and mufflers, I'll likely go with speedtech. Headers seems to identical to fabspeed and mufflers are valved. "Perhaps" the quality isn't the same. But I'll take my chances.

Cw
Old 08-18-2019, 08:46 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

The straight PSE was installed on my car and I like it a lot. I didn't want something real loud in the cab but it has a great tone at low RPM and then is very satisfying over 5000 RPM. Quiet inside unless you crack the window but sounds good outside. A good friend of mine has the X pipe and Fisters which does sound good and its much louder which I know many are going for but depends on your taste.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:03 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Originally Posted by street rod
The straight PSE was installed on my car and I like it a lot. I didn't want something real loud in the cab but it has a great tone at low RPM and then is very satisfying over 5000 RPM. Quiet inside unless you crack the window but sounds good outside. A good friend of mine has the X pipe and Fisters which does sound good and its much louder which I know many are going for but depends on your taste.
I am looking for something that has nice tone inside, not as concerned about outside. So inside the cabin the PSE is quiet even when on?
Old 08-19-2019, 12:51 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

For this budget please look into options from fvd. They have tons of options starting from $1k to 6.5k. They will sound better than pse + xpipe anyday.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:04 AM
nicholascanada
Pro

Originally Posted by Presto
For this budget please look into options from fvd. They have tons of options starting from $1k to 6.5k. They will sound better than pse + xpipe anyday.
‘Thanks but I am only interested in my original question, not a debate on alternative exhausts. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:08 AM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 693 Likes on 418 Posts

I have pse on 11 cab s. Top up, it’s ok. Top down love it. Wouldn’t’ spend the cash if didn’t have it. Would go with other options for exhaust.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:23 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

I am looking for something that has nice tone inside, not as concerned about outside. So inside the cabin the PSE is quiet even when on?

In my opinion, yes, PSE by itself is too quiet in the cabin when it is turned on and the valves are open. My car came with it and I thought it was a bit of a joke. Adding a sharkwerks bypass helped a good deal, bringing the volume level to the lower level of what I am satisfied with. I would like more volume, but haven't found it necessary to do another upgrade, just something on the 'nice to have' list in the future.

I would not spend the money to get PSE installed on my car (not even at half price would I do it)... the value just is not there in comparison to other options. But if you're deadset on PSE and PSE only.. by itself it isn't enough in my view.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:55 AM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

I have only the Sharkworks center muffler delete option (x-pipe) on my '09 4S and the car sounds awesome. I couldn't help but grin like an idiot when I heard it start for the first time. Even my kid was grinning! Driving it, the flat 6 harmonic starts at 4K and carries to redline. I love it. Before you spend a ton of money, try that and see if its good enough.

My 2c
Old 08-19-2019, 06:57 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Yes. While driving with the windows up, if I push the PSE button several times while not looking at it, after a few pushes I can't tell whether it's on or off, and this is with a center muffler bypass. It is more noticeable with the windows down but it's still pretty weak. You really need to hear one for yourself if possible. One person's perfect exhaust is another person's annoyance.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:51 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

I'm not sure quiet is the right word but with windows up its definitely pretty muffled when on. But if I just crack the window or sun roof 1 inch sounds good and you can hear a big difference between turning the button on and off.

Quick Reply: X Pipe Delete Necessary on PSE 997.2 4S?