Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive Oil Consumption Excessive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 12:50 PM
rjaudi
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What oil are you using? I made a switch to Liqui Moly recently and it seems to have helped my 2009 C4S out. .
Old 08-15-2019, 01:22 PM
simso5ce
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you all for the feedback, really appreciate it. I did e-mail them and reference the Technical Datasheet and I'll call them shortly to confirm whether I'm wasting everyone's time or not by dropping it off. If so, I'll begin to work with the indy nearby.

Originally Posted by rjaudi
What oil are you using? I made a switch to Liqui Moly recently and it seems to have helped my 2009 C4S out. .
Dealer is using Mobil 1 0W-40 and that's what I used to refill after the 800 miles. Good to know there are other options out there but I would be a bit worried about warranty coverage if I switched now.

Last edited by simso5ce; 08-15-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:15 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 92 Posts

Based on your data there is something wrong. Burning 1.6 qts in 400 miles is not within spec and more worrisome is the change from burning that amount going from 800 miles to 400. Changing oil types is not going to solve anything. Any other scoring symptoms like a darker drivers tail pipe?
Old 08-16-2019, 01:57 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,966 Likes on 2,938 Posts

Wow----> 1.6 Qts in 400 miles. I've heard the AOS can caused excessive oil burn but I don't think the oil burn would be nearly as high.
Hopefully you are having a good Indy check your engine to find out whats going on.

And to the poster above, Porsche's max oil consumption is 1 QT per 600 miles not 1.6 Qts..
But I would consider any oil consumption over 1 QT per 800 miles to be excessive considering most everyone who has contributed to oil consumption threads show consumption in the 1 Qt to 1200-1500 mile range
Old 08-16-2019, 02:26 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

I also drive a 2009 too although mine is not an S. I change the oil every 5,000 miles and the most I have ever seen the oil level drop is one bar between changes. Remember that bore scoring will not be seen from the top until it is quite advanced. Check for scoring from the sump, which is not very easy as lots of parts are in the way, but that is where it starts.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:01 PM
lmaternick
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Look in your engine compartment. Is there any sign in there of an area with more black dirt than the rest. A loose AOS hose did that in my C2S and once cleaned up and secured correctly I have very little oil "Burn". Look at the intake manifold unions that connect to the throttle body. They should be clean on the outside.....probably covered in light dust but not coated in oily black dust. The steel clamps should be dusty but not dirty. Any oily black coatings in that general area would indicate a leak from the AOS system located below. Other things that rely on seals such as the variocam actuators can leak too.Any oil on the ground where you park? That is obvious high oil "loss"......determine if it is loss or burn.
There should be no leaks. Many people accept oil leaks from cars but should not. If you have any oil on the ground you have some issue to deal with. Mind you a leak would be preferable to oil disappearing past the rings and being burned.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:45 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Wow---->
And to the poster above, Porsche's max oil consumption is 1 QT per 600 miles not 1.6 Qts..
But I would consider any oil consumption over 1 QT per 800 miles to be excessive considering most everyone who has contributed to oil consumption threads show consumption in the 1 Qt to 1200-1500 mile range
See Porsche’s own document on this... 1.6 quarts per 622 miles is considered OK by them.

Last edited by Carreralicious; 08-16-2019 at 06:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
groovzilla (08-17-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 06:57 PM
simso5ce
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Originally Posted by lmaternick
Look in your engine compartment. Is there any sign in there of an area with more black dirt than the rest. A loose AOS hose did that in my C2S and once cleaned up and secured correctly I have very little oil "Burn". Look at the intake manifold unions that connect to the throttle body. They should be clean on the outside.....probably covered in light dust but not coated in oily black dust. The steel clamps should be dusty but not dirty. Any oily black coatings in that general area would indicate a leak from the AOS system located below. Other things that rely on seals such as the variocam actuators can leak too.Any oil on the ground where you park? That is obvious high oil "loss"......determine if it is loss or burn.
There should be no leaks. Many people accept oil leaks from cars but should not. If you have any oil on the ground you have some issue to deal with. Mind you a leak would be preferable to oil disappearing past the rings and being burned.
I checked the engine compartment and couldn't find any signs of this, to include anything around the intake or throttle body. And nope, no oil on the ground where I park.

So quick update...

I took it to the dealer today, the experience was much better than expected. In short, they documented current mileage and oil level along with pictures. Then they topped it off, documented the mileage and took pictures. The shop foreman told me to "drive it until the light comes on." So if the light comes on prior to the mileage threshold, I bring it in, they document everything and can then work with the warranty company to start digging into the engine.

I'm pretty happy with this. I'll be sure to update this thread if I have to bring it back to the shop. Thanks again to everyone for all the feedback.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:53 PM
lmaternick
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That sounds like a good response so far to me. The more important response will be if a bad result comes back. I think dealers are used to dealing with inquiries for oil consumption as from what I've heard and experienced these cars can consume more than most other engine designs and because of the value of these engines their owners are pretty concerned with these issues. Personally I also find these digital oil measurements to be all over the map and difficult to verify. Never fill till it says full, because your very likely over full. Wait for the light to come on and carry a litre in your frunk so you don't end up driving a couple hundred miles after the light comes on.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:06 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,966 Likes on 2,938 Posts

Originally Posted by boxtaboy
See Porsche’s own document on this... 1.6 quarts per 622 miles is considered OK by them.

Damn----> I always thought Porsche consumption was 1 QT---> Sorry for my error.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:59 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Damn----> I always thought Porsche consumption was 1 QT---> Sorry for my error.
No worries!

Quick Reply: Excessive Oil Consumption Excessive?