Crash sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 06:03 PM
mattf14
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crash sensor question

Hello everyone!

I had a minor front end collision and both my front bags blew and the driver's pretensioner. My question is about the impact sensors. I am not familiar with these cars. Are the impact sensors the same as the "acceleration"sensors up front? And are they reusable or do I need to replace them both?
The reason I am asking is because I scanned the car with my generic scan tool and the only codes I am getting that aren't related to an airbag are; 8012- voltage supply below lower limit, c152- communication PSM contol unit, 80cb- triggering unit faulty, and 80f7- triggering event has taken place.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:58 AM
galaxy collision
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

im not sure what an "acceleration" sensor is, but if you were involved in a font end collision where the airbags were deployed you should replace the front impact sensors, clock spring and airbag controller as a general rule of thumb. contact a porsche certified collision shop. they should have free access to porsche OEM procedures for what exactly needs to be replaced.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:39 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

I don't know specifically in the 997, but in the Cayenne there is something called a Pyro fuse that blows in an airbag deploying accident that cuts power to the engine control harness and would throw these types of codes. If the car won't turnover with the starter, that's the reason. Also, all the seat belt pretensioners would have fired in the accident even if no one was occupying those seats, so you'll need new seat belts. Just with the airbag deployment alone, you're probably looking at $10,000 in repair without talking about body panels, lights, etc yet. You'll need to involve your insurance company.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:43 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

Sounds like a body shop that wants to repair a salvage car for resale to me.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:17 PM
mattf14
4th Gear

I see its a nice community here lol, trying to get a question answered. First of all I am not a body shop and if I was it wouldn't matter at all. There is nothing wrong with rebuilding a "salvage" car.

I wanted to know about the crash sensors. It wont cost me anywhere near 10k, only if I brought it to a dealership. In fact I already purchased all original airbag parts for under $500, minus the dashboard.
Thank you for your replies though.
The following users liked this post:
kgb_kgb (07-20-2022)
Old 08-07-2019, 09:57 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by mattf14
I see its a nice community here lol, trying to get a question answered. First of all I am not a body shop and if I was it wouldn't matter at all. There is nothing wrong with rebuilding a "salvage" car.

I wanted to know about the crash sensors. It wont cost me anywhere near 10k, only if I brought it to a dealership. In fact I already purchased all original airbag parts for under $500, minus the dashboard.
Thank you for your replies though.

WOW, good for you at that price. Are you going to be rebuilding / repairing it yourself?
Old 08-07-2019, 10:32 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 277 Posts

for my 997.2, there are two dedicated front impact sensors. You access them by removing the front apron. They are probably yellow.

As far as your codes, some of those read like there has been an event.

AllDataDIY (inexpensive annual or 5 year fee) has a lot of info for the safety systems, which include the airbags and the tensioners. a small excerpt:

Component exchange after airbag/belt tensioner triggering

The following components must be removed and replaced after the airbag system is triggered:

Airbag unit, driver's side:
  1. Contact unit.
  2. Airbag unit, driver's side.
  3. Triggering unit after the third time the airbag is triggered.
Airbag unit, passenger's side:
  1. Airbag unit, passenger's side.
  2. Triggering unit after the third time the airbag is triggered.
  3. Instrument panel.
  4. Check instrument panel bracket for deformation and replace if necessary.
Side-airbag unit, seat:
  1. Side-airbag unit, seat.
  1. Seat covering, deformed seat components.
  2. Sensor for the side-airbag unit after the third time the side-airbag is triggered
Head airbag unit, door:
  1. Head airbag unit.
  1. Check door unit carrier for deformation and replace if necessary.
  2. Sensor for the side-airbag unit after the third time the side-airbag is triggered
Belt tensioner:
  1. All belt tensioner units.
Because it is difficult to visually determine if one or more belt tensioners has been triggered, check the following points:
  • Using the PIWIS Tester 9718, read out the fault memory.
  • Check plug connection on the belt tensioner for damage.
  • Pull out the belt strap as far as possible and check for wear.
  • Perform a function test on the automatic belt device.
harlanmott3 (07-20-2022)
Old 08-08-2019, 12:10 AM
mattf14
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Petza914
WOW, good for you at that price. Are you going to be rebuilding / repairing it yourself?
Yes, repairing myself.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:16 AM
mattf14
4th Gear

Originally Posted by CAVU
for my 997.2, there are two dedicated front impact sensors. You access them by removing the front apron. They are probably yellow.

AllDataDIY (inexpensive annual or 5 year fee) has a lot of info for the safety systems, which include the airbags and the tensioners. a small excerpt:

The following components must be removed and replaced after the airbag system is triggered:

1. Contact unit.
  3. Instrument panel.
Side-airbag unit, seat:
Head airbag unit, door:
  1. Head airbag unit.
Belt tensioner:
Because it is difficult to visually determine if one or more belt tensioners has been triggered, check the following points:
Thank you for this. When I'm done the car I'll let you guys know what's up and I'll post some pics
kgb_kgb (07-20-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 06:42 PM
Burnman
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Trigger unit faulty codes can happen if the battery is disconnected, or goes dead when the key is in the ignition. The key does not have to be on, just in the ignition. Every time this happens the Airbag sees this as a "Crash" these modules will say the unit is faulty after 3 "Crashes". To reset them, they have to have the crash data cleared. Myairbags.com should also be able to clear crash data from a module that has seen a crash from the crash sensors. I have sent mine out to myairbags.com to get them reset. But there are other companies out there that do it. Here is a You tube link to get the airbag computer out if need be. In the description, there is another link for manual transmission. This link is for 997.2 PDK. I don't know of another way to reset. But I am sure people here in the community have other ways.

Old 07-20-2022, 12:34 AM
kgb_kgb
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi any update ?

is that a Pyro ?

I bought a salvage car that the passenger seat airbag on the side was deployed .

I can’t seem to start the car.

thanks

Originally Posted by CAVU

1. Contact unit.
  3. Instrument panel.
Side-airbag unit, seat:
Head airbag unit, door:
  1. Head airbag unit.
Belt tensioner:
Old 01-22-2023, 04:58 PM
iwanta996
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Burnman, I bought a 2007 997 that had side airbags deployed after a quarter panel collision. All paint and body work is now complete. Both seat belt tensioners have been replaced. All four crash sensors (sides and front) have been replaced, but to save money I installed used sensors from Specialized German Parts. Now my iCarSoft scanner tells me that all four sensors cannot be communicated with. I also sent the airbag control module to SafetyRestore.com to have it reset. I still see the dash airbag light and Passenger Airbag Off light in console. My body shop confirmed the error codes on his MacTools scanner.

So, are the used sensors the problem? Specialized German told me that the donor cars were not in airbag deployed collisions. I have to take their word on that, since there was no VIN to check. Thanks for your and others' help on Rennlist!

Quick Reply: Crash sensor question