What a knob!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 07:16 PM
lmaternick
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What a ****!

SORRY NOT A FLAMING POST.
Anyone have the rennline aluminum ****? What are your thoughts?I like the look but wonder about the feel.
Now

after
from rennline site.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:36 AM
Uwon
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Yep, that’s a ****! ����
Depends how you hold the shifter. If you are the hand on top kind of driver, then it would work.
Personally, I’m the grab it by the throat kind of guy so my idea of a good shift **** is one that fits into your hand with room for your fingers down the collar.
Then, there is the feel of cold metal on your hand on cold days and slippery wet sweat on hot days that turns really off bare metal. All leather would be best but I’m still happy with the OEM with a short shifter.
M2CW
Cheers,
Johan
Old 08-05-2019, 01:32 PM
bstmusic
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thrilled with my custom hand-made wooden **** I purchased from Manuel Campuzano at porsche356sport@yahoo.com. Here's a few pictures of mine. Seems like the one you're considering would get hot as heck in the summertime.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:42 PM
driggity
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After having an all metal **** on a previous car I'll never go that way again. Too hot in the summer if you're parking outside for an extended period even with tinted windows and a sun shade. I had a delrin covered aluminum **** (top was still exposed) on my last car and it was pretty nice and didn't have the heat issues. I haven't decided what I want to do on my 911 but am leaning towards a wood one at this point.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:42 PM
lmaternick
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

All good points that I didn't consider. I do tend to grab hold like a ball from the top so the shape should work, but the heat thing could be a factor. We'll see. I don't know if silver would be more reflective of heat than black, but it should be and it's a coupe so.......
I have also never had issue with the exposed shiny aluminum of the OEM **** in terms of heat.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:08 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

I love the weighted perforated leather ****

Old 08-05-2019, 10:24 PM
Hass_Geschafte
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have this **** from ixigears.com (no affiliation). I like the unadorned style versus some others, and the fact that it was available in lots of shades. The gunmetal version is a good match for the grey stitching of the OEM leather. Installed it feels completely solid on the shift lever, and hasn't loosened at all after nearly a year.

The drawback on it would be that I've seen better anodizing finishes. But the ball portion is replaceable, and for very little money (under $20).

And yes, if left in direct sunlight (windows down or sunroof open) it gets absurdly hot, so I only made that mistake once. If the **** had the location of the map room in tannis on it my hand would look like the other picture. But that doesn't happen if the windows are up/roof closed. They also sell a resin ball for summer use that's even less ( $15 ). When I ordered my **** they tossed one in for free, but YMMV.

That included resin one had the shift pattern laser etched (grooves), and the paint lettering added to that was done pretty poorly. I'd recommend skipping the laser etching on any of the *****, but overall I'm very happy with it.
Attached Images    
The following users liked this post:
Carerra (08-12-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 02:21 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Hass_Geschafte
I have this **** from ixigears.com (no affiliation). I like the unadorned style versus some others, and the fact that it was available in lots of shades. The gunmetal version is a good match for the grey stitching of the OEM leather. Installed it feels completely solid on the shift lever, and hasn't loosened at all after nearly a year.
Nice. I like that one. Even better combined with any of the best short shift kits available.

Quick Reply: What a knob!