Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC saved my bacon today

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019 | 10:06 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Default DSC saved my bacon today

I att need a PCA event at High Plains Raceway today. In my third run I went into turn seven, which is a fast uphill sweeper. My back end went loose before I even got to the apex and their was a clunk in the back.
I slowed a bit and a few turns layer, same thing. Back end came loose then “clunk.”
Three turns later, flashing yellow lights (same as waved yellow) before the downhill eases leading on to the front straight, and there was a car off to the side in a precarious spot. I had already decided to come in and see if something was broken, suspecting a sway bar end link. The track closed right after I came in.
It tuns out that a friend’s GT3 lost his side coolant line and sprayed antifreeze from turn 7, where I first lost it, all the way to turn 13.
When I stopped I jacked up my car to make sure that everything was Ok.
But I think the clunk was just the active suspension saving my ***. Impressive!
Old 07-27-2019 | 10:26 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

PASM clunking? No! Likely ABS directed by PSM stability control.
The following users liked this post:
Hella-Buggin' (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019 | 10:36 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
PASM clunking? No! Likely ABS directed by PSM stability control.
PSM was off, although I don’t think it really ever goes completely away. Would ABS engage under acceleration?
Old 07-27-2019 | 11:55 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ColoradoMark
PSM was off, although I don’t think it really ever goes completely away. Would ABS engage under acceleration?
PSM is never totally off. PSM uses ABS components to selectively apply brakes where needed. Likely what you heard was the percussive braking used for correction, especially when it encountered the coolant slicks. Thank PSM!

And incidentally... on the 997.2 PSM does not intervene with a good driver. It is actually quite good. Makes no sense to turn it off; those who turn it off and go beyond the PSM envelope are not simply being smooth drivers.
Old 07-28-2019 | 12:35 AM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

And incidentally... on the 997.2 PSM does not intervene with a good driver. It is actually quite good. Makes no sense to turn it off; those who turn it off and go beyond the PSM envelope are not simply being smooth drivers.
hmm, definitely not the case with PSM on a 997.1, I struggle to drive the car on the track with it on. It isn’t that it is intrusive, I would actually consider it better than most comparable cars I have driven on track/instructed in, but it doesn’t let the car rotate like I prefer to drive. I have never tracked a 997.2 but have instructed a couple, most newer drivers don’t push hard enough to where it is a hindrance, so PSM always stays on.
Old 07-28-2019 | 10:07 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

PSM is never totally off. PSM uses ABS components to selectively apply brakes where needed. Likely what you heard was the percussive braking used for correction, especially when it encountered the coolant slicks. Thank PSM!

A famous case of PSM turned off.

https://jalopnik.com/shop-owner-smas...-in-1792973207
Old 07-28-2019 | 10:24 AM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
Wow!
Old 07-28-2019 | 08:17 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Yea I must disagree on this one. It engages too early and shuts down power more of anticipation than real world situations. Not a fan of it when I want to get on the throttle and have a little fun.
Old 07-28-2019 | 09:32 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

I have PASM on my 997.1 with Sport Chrono. Does having PASM mean that the car won’t let my rear end come out if I get too aggressive on a curve?
Old 07-28-2019 | 10:03 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by doclouie
Yea I must disagree on this one. It engages too early and shuts down power more of anticipation than real world situations. Not a fan of it when I want to get on the throttle and have a little fun.
Never seen it happen, even on track situations... Even when driven by 'hot shoes' during hot laps... but they are smooth drivers and get the faster laps.
Old 07-28-2019 | 10:46 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Never seen it happen, even on track situations... Even when driven by 'hot shoes' during hot laps... but they are smooth drivers and get the faster laps.
Being smooth and/or a fast driver should not be associated with driving aids not activating. Short of specific track modes that some cars come with, I promise you if you give a fast driver nearly any car and tell them to throw down a 10/10 lap the traction control is getting turned off.

The stability assist just reacts to conditions in which it thinks the car might go out of control when driven by a normal driver. I am not sure what your track experience is, but if you have ever been in the car with someone fast driving near the limit you would see a considerable amount of sliding and correcting even with the “smoothest” drivers.

I can tell you first hand, my 997.1 cannot be driven to its potential with traction control on, it pushes BAD, which for me is way more unnerving than oversteer. Oversteer you can correct and drive out of it, understeer you just run out of track.

But I do agree stability assist is much better/safer for most novice drivers. I actually do use it as a learning tool to challenge students to not activate. This keeps us well within the cars limits and safety margin and does have a cause and affect type learning component.
Old 07-29-2019 | 12:08 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Being smooth and/or a fast driver should not be associated with driving aids not activating. Short of specific track modes that some cars come with, I promise you if you give a fast driver nearly any car and tell them to throw down a 10/10 lap the traction control is getting turned off.

The stability assist just reacts to conditions in which it thinks the car might go out of control when driven by a normal driver. I am not sure what your track experience is, but if you have ever been in the car with someone fast driving near the limit you would see a considerable amount of sliding and correcting even with the “smoothest” drivers.

I can tell you first hand, my 997.1 cannot be driven to its potential with traction control on, it pushes BAD, which for me is way more unnerving than oversteer. Oversteer you can correct and drive out of it, understeer you just run out of track.

But I do agree stability assist is much better/safer for most novice drivers. I actually do use it as a learning tool to challenge students to not activate. This keeps us well within the cars limits and safety margin and does have a cause and affect type learning component.
Let's just agree to disagree.

And I referred to 997.2 PSM, which is far more advanced that the PSM in the 997.1
Old 07-29-2019 | 06:05 AM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Let's just agree to disagree.

And I referred to 997.2 PSM, which is far more advanced that the PSM in the 997.1
Is it actually far more advanced? Do you know that for sure and have data to support that?

I personally have countless laps around various tracks in more different cars than I can count, both driving and instructing, so I am pretty confident in my opinion. But maybe you have similar experience that is guiding your own opinion, so it is all good with me if we agree to disagree.

Again to be clear, I never have a new driver turn it off, most modern traction control does well at keeping things safe for new drivers and me in the right seat.

Last edited by bgoetz; 07-29-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-29-2019 | 08:32 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

https://www.total911.com/technology-...ty-management/
https://www.deter.com/porsche/PSM.html
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/l...and-carrera-s/
https://www.design911.co.uk/blog/ind...-does-it-mean/
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...11-gt3-review/

These articles do suggest a continuous evolution of PSM. The last article I linked mentions in specific that in GT3 (and up, logically) PSM once disabled will not save your ***. So.. to the above mention of PSM never really being off.. the context was talking about Carreras, so that would be correct. The article linked about PSM being off is about a GT3 RS. The cars are not comparable, and their electronic systems do not always behave the same.

"For the first time, the GT3 also gets stability control in the form of a specially calibrated Porsche Stability Management system that allows you to turn off the stability control alone or the stability control and traction control together. When these systems are shut down, they do not reactivate, as they do on other Porsches, when you start losing control in a corner under braking."

"
PSM has been enhanced and now includes two additional functions: precharging of the brake system, and brake assist. If you suddenly release the accelerator pedal, PSM automatically readies the braking system. With the braking system having been precharged, the brake pads are already in light contact with the brake discs. Maximum braking power is therefore achieved much sooner. When sudden braking is detected, the brake assist function applies maximum brake pressure to all four wheels."
Old 07-29-2019 | 10:05 AM
NikkiSixxPA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fined
"PSM has been enhanced and now includes two additional functions: precharging of the brake system, and brake assist. If you suddenly release the accelerator pedal, PSM automatically readies the braking system. With the braking system having been precharged, the brake pads are already in light contact with the brake discs. Maximum braking power is therefore achieved much sooner. When sudden braking is detected, the brake assist function applies maximum brake pressure to all four wheels."
This isn't a 997.2 development though, correct? 997.1 C4S has precharing and brake assist?

Quick Reply: DSC saved my bacon today