Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build a different cell phone holder

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019 | 01:20 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Default Build a different cell phone holder

I've been looking at some post regarding different options for cell phone holders and from what I've seen they're all basically permutations of the two basic concepts. Namely, those that mount on the air vent and consequently restrict flow/direction and some adaptations to mount low or on the side of the center console and thus require that you take your eyes off the road. I'm of the opinion that both are not practical, obtrusive and even blatantly ugly.

Here's a concept that I have and submit for those that may have access to a 3D Printer such as what EM2 with his 991 Sports Lip/Spoiler Adapter for 997.2 did. The idea will require that the car have the Sports Chrono Package which includes the both ugly and to me the useless chronometer/"wart" on top of the dash.

The idea is to build a molded form fitting "cover" using a 3D Printer that would mimic the shape and fit snugly over the "wart" and thus provide a both stable and eye level base for the placement of your phone. The fabricated "mount" should have a built-in magnet in the front to provide easy mount/dismount of the phone.

Granted that because of its position the "mount" will sit on top of the dash and would basically require that the phone be mounted in landscape mode. However, this would facilitate the connection of the power cable since the phone would be on its side. I presume that this would not be a problem for those of you who use their phone for navigation or even answering calls.

This is just an idea for some of you fellow engineers to toy around with and maybe come up with a viable and marketable solution much like EM2 did with his Sports Lip/Spoiler.

Last edited by Astur; 07-25-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-25-2019 | 02:42 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Another alternative that I find useful, but rarely on this forum is a CD slot mount for a phone.
Those are usually more stable than the vent mount, and don't obstruct the vents.
Of course, this doesn't apply if you've switched the HU to one that doesn't have an exposed CD slot (like I did)
The following users liked this post:
F308gt4 (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019 | 01:35 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Interesting concept.

I have a CD cell phone holder, which works pretty well (I use the Bovee 1000 for Bluetooth music, so have never used the CD).

They do make on the dash phone holders. I’ve never tried one, so don’t know how well they would work on our cars. Presumably, you would put in in front of the Wart.

Here’s a couple of examplesI found on amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/IPOW-Anti-S...dDbGljaz10cnVl

https://smile.amazon.com/Dashboard-M...gateway&sr=8-3

https://smile.amazon.com/Vansky-Sili...ateway&sr=8-13
Old 07-26-2019 | 03:34 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

I run a CD mount. While it is stable, and sits conveniently for phone viewing, if you need to see the screen for any reason, it's mostly obscured.

But, I do like the mount. And it was cheap off eBay.

Cw
Old 07-26-2019 | 03:43 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

In my limited experience, I have never found any anti-slip mount to work on any of my cars. Some pothole or hard braking will just topple over the entire mount and the phone/GPS etc. Molding it to grab the wart might work much better. In the end, it will look the last generation Audi's dash screen

But the thing is.. I like having the wart in that it adds to the look of the dash.. just that it serves no function as is.
Folks have replaced it with a VDO clock. Anyways, that's a totally different discussion..
Old 05-31-2020 | 02:39 AM
trovan
Rennlist Member

Default Rennline question

Can the metal mount leave marks or damage the console if full leather? I have always used proclip and worked well on my prior 991. Slight indentation on the center console but it was not real leather and no permanent harm. But I notice with extended leather clip can scratch the leather. Wonder any similar problem with the rennline clip. Thank you
Old 05-31-2020 | 10:58 AM
Carrera De Lune
Intermediate

de

Last edited by Carrera De Lune; 06-19-2020 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-31-2020 | 06:11 PM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

You could try one of These:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...cluding+6+Plus
Old 05-31-2020 | 06:54 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

I've tried many phone mounts. Most fail under extreme driving conditions- either bad roads or aggressive braking, accelerating or lateral g-forces.
This one, mounted in the CD slot, has never failed me:
Amazon Amazon
It is cheap, but obscures the PCM screen. I miss my back-up camera when using it, and cannot see song info, but the phone is usually displaying Waze instead of OEM Nav- so it is an OK trade off for me.
Also, I never use the CD player.

Old 05-31-2020 | 08:09 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
I've tried many phone mounts. Most fail under extreme driving conditions- either bad roads or aggressive braking, accelerating or lateral g-forces.
This one, mounted in the CD slot, has never failed me:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is cheap, but obscures the PCM screen. I miss my back-up camera when using it, and cannot see song info, but the phone is usually displaying Waze instead of OEM Nav- so it is an OK trade off for me.
Also, I never use the CD player.
Can you post a picture?
Old 05-31-2020 | 08:55 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

I got the iOttie Easy One Touch 4 for my wife's car. It attaches to the top of the dash, is up in the line of sight, and doesn't restrict controls. Very solid and convenient. That was a couple years ago, so I'm sure there are more recent versions.
Old 05-31-2020 | 10:01 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doclouie
Can you post a picture?
You can view it via the amazon.com link- there is a newer version and also a wireless charger compatible version.

I couldn't find a pic of it holding my phone- since my only camera is the phone itself.

It doesn't block the AC vent outlets, only the controls in the center, and seems to keep cool in that location.

I route the charging cable from the outlet on the passenger foot well. It nestles nicely inside the gap on the the driver's side of the glovebox, though it is dangling in the picture below. (It falls out when removing the phone to take a picture.)

Here is a shot of the holder, it swivels from the shown landscape to a profile orientation:

The following 2 users liked this post by Liste-Renn:
doclouie (05-31-2020), yvesvidal (06-01-2020)

Quick Reply: Build a different cell phone holder