Sponsored by:

Brake conversion from PCCB to steel rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 03:42 AM
James 911
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Petza914
Suncoast sells 2 versions of a kit for doing exactly that, at least for the 997.1 so probably for the 997.2 as well. They include steel rotors, appropriate pads, and some hardware. Best part is they are sized to work with your larger front PCCB calipers so you don't have to replace those and end up with better steel brakes than you'd have if your car came with the factory steel brake option. One option uses single piece rotors front and rear and the other option uses a 2-piece Girodisc slotted rotor. If they don't have them for your model at Suncoast, talk to Girodisc to see if they have put together a kit for your fitment.

Why are you wanting to switch - tracking the car and don't want to mess up the expensive rotors? If not, for street driving, the PCCBs exceed the performance of steel rotor setups in every regard, except maybe initial bite when cold or wet - repeated heavy stops, braking effectiveness when hot, fade when hot, and especially DUST.
I need to look after my PCCB for when I sell the car as the fronts rotors are getting low- it seams the PCCB has 350 mm rotors all round and the regular 997.2 GTS has 330. Suncoast does have a listing saying they have a Brembo kit to convert these and a other similar size equipped Porsche, has any one done this ?
Old 07-24-2019, 08:31 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,596 Likes on 4,194 Posts

Originally Posted by James 911
I need to look after my PCCB for when I sell the car as the fronts rotors are getting low- it seams the PCCB has 350 mm rotors all round and the regular 997.2 GTS has 330. Suncoast does have a listing saying they have a Brembo kit to convert these and a other similar size equipped Porsche, has any one done this ?
My 2005 997.1 with PCCBs is 350mm all around as it used the same PCCB setup from the 996TT, but I highly doubt those are the sizes on your PCCB equipped GTS as Porsche increased the front rotor size for their PCCB setups a year or 2 later and if your GTS has the standard centerlock wheels, I'd bet they're similar if not the same size as those on the GT3 or on the Turbo S - probably a 380mm front if not even larger. They likely did keep the rears at 350mm.

Mexico Blue is right though. Unless you're tracking the car just use them on it and don't worry about it. If they wear out or delaminate then swap them to steel. Most GTSs don't have them and the sell price of a car with or without them is not going to make any difference. In fact, many people would rather not worry about them, especially those that have their car serviced somewhere other than in their own garage as all it takes is for a wheel to slip or the shop to not use 2 guide pins when removing one and you have a chipped rotor.

A set of PCCB rotors should last through two sets of pads and a set of pads should last 80k-100k miles so you're talking about 200k miles before they should be worn out, unless they're used on a track.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:28 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

Pete's right as usual - you didn't mention if you have CLs or 5 bolt but here's the tool for the CLs.

Delrin - https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...pg4.htm#item12

There's the less expensive aluminum one that I bought but I can't locate it online right now.

For the 5 bolts (edited - use what Petza recs below )

Last edited by MexicoBlueTurboS; 07-24-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:34 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
Pete's right as usual - you didn't mention if you have CLs or 5 bolt but here's the tool for the CLs.

Delrin - https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...pg4.htm#item12

There's the less expensive aluminum one that I bought but I can't locate it online right now.

I like these stainless ones from Amazon for 5 bolts - https://www.amazon.com/European-Prof.../dp/B01L2WE27G Sold out right now
I use the Porsche guide pins from Suncoast. The problem with some of the other offerings, like that Amazon set, is the knurled end will actually scratch the paint off the wheel in the bolt holes when you slide it over that section of the pin.

I also use a nylon cutting board for wheel removal. On the lift I only raise the car to the first locking point of the bridge jacks so the tire is just slightly off the lift deck, then slide the cutting board under the tire and when it slides off the guide pins it drops very little onto the cutting board where it's easy to slide the rest of the way out fro the car than having to lift it or fight the friction of the rubber tire.
The following users liked this post:
MexicoBlueTurboS (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 10:47 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Trust Pete over me. ALWAYS
Old 07-24-2019, 11:02 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

My 2005 997.1 with PCCBs is 350mm all around as it used the same PCCB setup from the 996TT, but I highly doubt those are the sizes on your PCCB equipped GTS as Porsche increased the front rotor size for their PCCB setups a year or 2 later and if your GTS has the standard centerlock wheels, I'd bet they're similar if not the same size as those on the GT3 or on the Turbo S - probably a 380mm front if not even larger. They likely did keep the rears at 350mm.

Mexico Blue is right though. Unless you're tracking the car just use them on it and don't worry about it. If they wear out or delaminate then swap them to steel. Most GTSs don't have them and the sell price of a car with or without them is not going to make any difference. In fact, many people would rather not worry about them, especially those that have their car serviced somewhere other than in their own garage as all it takes is for a wheel to slip or the shop to not use 2 guide pins when removing one and you have a chipped rotor.

A set of PCCB rotors should last through two sets of pads and a set of pads should last 80k-100k miles so you're talking about 200k miles before they should be worn out, unless they're used on a track.
Agreed - 98k miles on my original pads from 2005 - looking like a new set needed soon - street car.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:08 PM
adamo
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Isnt' there a user here that has something ridiculous like 400,000 miiles on his original set of rotors?

I have PCCBs. I use them on my street car. Love that there's no brake dust, and if/after these rotors wear out, I'll switch to a steel setup.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:43 AM
James 911
AutoX

Hi all I have a 997 GTS with PCCB and want to go to factory steel rotors and pads to suit any ideas ?
are the calipers the same ?

can I fit early 350 mm steel rotors off say an early 997 turbo as a direct replacement ? same diameter and same width,

any one got any clues
.??
Old 07-25-2019, 03:44 AM
James 911
AutoX

I use the Porsche guide pins from Suncoast. The problem with some of the other offerings, like that Amazon set, is the knurled end will actually scratch the paint off the wheel in the bolt holes when you slide it over that section of the pin.

I also use a nylon cutting board for wheel removal. On the lift I only raise the car to the first locking point of the bridge jacks so the tire is just slightly off the lift deck, then slide the cutting board under the tire and when it slides off the guide pins it drops very little onto the cutting board where it's easy to slide the rest of the way out fro the car than having to lift it or fight the friction of the rubber tire.
GTS has center locks std
Old 07-25-2019, 07:49 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

GTS has center locks std

You and anyone that removes a wheel will want to use the giant Porsche elephant ***** then.

Way cheaper than swapping and protects the discs. Some other tools are needed or helpful but all together about $1000 just for taking a CL on and off.

I'll round them up and take a photo later today.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:26 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

GTS has center locks std
Yes, I'm aware of that, but it was a no-cost option at the time of order to select 5 bolt hubs which some people did for good reasons. Didn't know if your car was a CL or a 5 bolt setup.

I would start by measuring your front rotor to see what the diameter is. As I said earlier, I doubt it's 350 mm.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:25 AM
James 911
AutoX

A set of PCCB rotors should last through two sets of pads and a set of pads should last 80k-100k miles so you're talking about 200k miles before they should be worn out, unless they're used on a track
They have been measured and they need to be preserved- thanks for your input on similar models - yes we are looking at similar models with 350 steel rotors ( the Brembo Kit loots good) and No I am not looking to argue the merits ( with others) on why I choose to change just get facts on what might work or is available as a replacement. The reality is they are to expensive to replace once they are under service levels or damaged. Thanks again for your input

Quick Reply: Brake conversion from PCCB to steel rotors