Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steep hill start tip for manual 997.1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 01:34 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 409 Posts
Default Steep hill start tip for manual 997.1?

I come across some very steep hills here in the east coast sometimes, and with the manual, I find it hard sometimes to make a smooth start off a very steep hill, even with using the parking brake. Then, I thought since I have the Sport Chrono button on my car that increases throttle over stock settings when touching the throttle, that this could be useful when on a steep hill, by quickly adding a bit of extra throttle when in that mode at the hill start.

Tried it out, and it seems to help a bit. Just wondering if anyone else has tried it. I hate stalling on a hill, and even though I’ve driven manuals for over 30 yrs, that still sometimes happens! I think the 997.2 models came with hill hold, so it doesn’t apply to those cars.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:48 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

If anything Sport Chrono would be a hindrance as it makes fine-tuning throttle input more difficult. The trick is not power but the timing of its delivery. You just need some practice to align the handbrake release, clutch release, and throttle application into a smooth synchronized act. Can't be learned by theory, just practice.

Btw, starting a manual car on a steep hill with a handbrake without any rollback is a part of driver's licence tests in many European countries.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:08 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
If anything Sport Chrono would be a hindrance as it makes fine-tuning throttle input more difficult. The trick is not power but the timing of its delivery. You just need some practice to align the handbrake release, clutch release, and throttle application into a smooth synchronized act. Can't be learned by theory, just practice.

Btw, starting a manual car on a steep hill with a handbrake without any rollback is a part of driver's licence tests in many European countries.
Agree that it’s mostly about timing. Every video you see out there about hill starts though mention that you have to give more throttle. I just thought the sport function helps give you a little more during those situations. I tried it, and it seems to work for me.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:19 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boxtaboy
Agree that it’s mostly about timing. Every video you see out there about hill starts though mention that you have to give more throttle. I just thought the sport function helps give you a little more during those situations. I tried it, and it seems to work for me.
Whatever works. If it didn't work without SC, that only meant that you needed more throttle which is also achievable by pressing the pedal deeper.

But it's not as simple as more throttle => better. If you add too much throttle then you end up either lurching forward (and stalling) or burning the clutch which are not good either. There is a triple sweet-spot (handbrake, clutch, throttle) which is easier to find when a given pedal movement translates into a smaller throttle change. SC increases this change hence makes fine-tuning harder. I hope this makes sense.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:32 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Parking brake is the tool to use.

1 - Pull brake up while pressing with your thumb the release button.

2 - Lift the clutch pedal to the engagement point while feathering the throttle to 1000/1200RPM.

3 - Lower the parking brake while accelerating and lifting the clutch pedal fully.

It works in San Francisco's Jones St. - it will work anywhere.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:44 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Whatever works. If it didn't work without SC, that only meant that you needed more throttle which is also achievable by pressing the pedal deeper.

But it's not as simple as more throttle => better. If you add too much throttle then you end up either lurching forward (and stalling) or burning the clutch which are not good either. There is a triple sweet-spot (handbrake, clutch, throttle) which is easier to find when a given pedal movement translates into a smaller throttle change. SC increases this change hence makes fine-tuning harder. I hope this makes sense.
I think I’m just not used to the 997 clutch yet. Got it in Feb, and haven’t driven it much. Had Boxster for 17 yrs and the clutch wouldn’t bite until close to top of travel. With my 997, it bites almost within 2 inches of release, so I feel like I don’t have enough time to give it enough throttle.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:21 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Parking brake is the tool to use.

1 - Pull brake up while pressing with your thumb the release button.

2 - Lift the clutch pedal to the engagement point while feathering the throttle to 1000/1200RPM.

3 - Lower the parking brake while accelerating and lifting the clutch pedal fully.

It works in San Francisco's Jones St. - it will work anywhere.
Good tips! I actually do this. Just not that slick! Lol.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:26 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I think I’m just not used to the 997 clutch yet. Got it in Feb, and haven’t driven it much. Had Boxster for 17 yrs and the clutch wouldn’t bite until close to top of travel. With my 997, it bites almost within 2 inches of release, so I feel like I don’t have enough time to give it enough throttle.
Yes, every new clutch (car) takes some practice and adjustment to make it smooth. I'm sure you'll nail it down in no time, with or without SC.
The following users liked this post:
Carreralicious (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 04:00 PM
HLCinCOU
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the 997.2 models came with hill hold, so it doesn’t apply to those cars.
I wondered about that the other day...I have a 997.2 and had noticed that I wasn't rolling back like I expected even when I wasn't doing a very good job. Thought something like "well that's really interesting...I guess that's an intentional feature of some kind?" Sounds like that's confirmed. Unfortunately I have nothing to add to the tips others gave for the 997.1...
Old 07-14-2019, 04:45 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
I wondered about that the other day...I have a 997.2 and had noticed that I wasn't rolling back like I expected even when I wasn't doing a very good job. Thought something like "well that's really interesting...I guess that's an intentional feature of some kind?" Sounds like that's confirmed. Unfortunately I have nothing to add to the tips others gave for the 997.1...
Yep, you guys are lucky. I have to use my handbrake.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:48 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

I have not noticed that with my 997.2. How does it work? Is it an option? Not that it really bothers me because the hand break method works fine.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:54 PM
HLCinCOU
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by street rod
I have not noticed that with my 997.2. How does it work? Is it an option? Not that it really bothers me because the hand break method works fine.
Absolutely no idea. All I can say is that when I'm in first on a hill, when I move my foot from the brake to the accelerator I don't roll back like I feel like I should. It's like I'm still pressing the brake. I haven't tried that for any length of time, but it's definitely noticeable. I haven't even tried using the handbrake to deal with hills, mainly because I've never had to on any of my previous manual cars...but all those cars were much less high performance and thus less touchy about getting into first. I should note that when in neutral I do roll back as expected...which is nice, because sometimes I intentionally roll back just a hair as someone is coming up to me in order to signal "hey, I'm in a manual, maybe don't park right on my bumper" which probably doesn't work as I would like because people who would park on your bumper don't recognize what that means anyway.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:04 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

Absolutely no idea. All I can say is that when I'm in first on a hill, when I move my foot from the brake to the accelerator I don't roll back like I feel like I should. It's like I'm still pressing the brake. I haven't tried that for any length of time, but it's definitely noticeable. I haven't even tried using the handbrake to deal with hills, mainly because I've never had to on any of my previous manual cars...but all those cars were much less high performance and thus less touchy about getting into first. I should note that when in neutral I do roll back as expected...which is nice, because sometimes I intentionally roll back just a hair as someone is coming up to me in order to signal "hey, I'm in a manual, maybe don't park right on my bumper" which probably doesn't work as I would like because people who would park on your bumper don't recognize what that means anyway.
I'm going to test mine in 1st gear on some hills and see if I can notice it. I hear you about people on your bumper. Their thought of someone driving a manual is mostly non existent.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:00 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,747 Likes on 4,293 Posts

Aside from proper parking brake technique and staying out of sport mode, there's a switch on the clutch that actually retards timing as the clutch pedal is being released to help people who can't drive sticks from either burning up their clutches or stalling their cars. It's a simple button switch and has nothing to do with the "depress clutch pedal" message and not being able to start the car without the clutch depressed - that's a different switch higher up.

Contort yourself under the dash and remove that switch from the clutch pedal - takes a 90 degree twist then pull out. Do an experiment where you either jumper the two wires together or tape the switch with the button in and drive the car doing normal shifting and trying to start on hills. Bypassing this switch makes the clutch to throttle relationship much more direct without it screwing with the way the engine is running when the clutch is being released.

I've had those 2 wires jumpers in my car for about 5 years now - just drives so much better.

Unfortunately .2 owners can't do this upgrade for regular driving (they don't need it for hills), as it throws a code in those cars.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:57 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Aside from proper parking brake technique and staying out of sport mode, there's a switch on the clutch that actually retards timing as the clutch pedal is being released to help people who can't drive sticks from either burning up their clutches or stalling their cars. It's a simple button switch and has nothing to do with the "depress clutch pedal" message and not being able to start the car without the clutch depressed - that's a different switch higher up.

Contort yourself under the dash and remove that switch from the clutch pedal - takes a 90 degree twist then pull out. Do an experiment where you either jumper the two wires together or tape the switch with the button in and drive the car doing normal shifting and trying to start on hills. Bypassing this switch makes the clutch to throttle relationship much more direct without it screwing with the way the engine is running when the clutch is being released.

I've had those 2 wires jumpers in my car for about 5 years now - just drives so much better.

Unfortunately .2 owners can't do this upgrade for regular driving (they don't need it for hills), as it throws a code in those cars.
I didn’t know that...thanks. Maybe I’ll try this out. I think my issue is just that with my old Boxster, since the bite point was real high, I was used to quickly releasing the clutch pedal up as I moved off from a stop. If I do that with the 997, the car will stall, so I have to slowly let my foot off and keep it pushing down on the bitepoint (which is about only 2 inches from fully depressed) for a second or two before fully letting up. This to me, makes me think I am riding the clutch which I hate to do.

Quick Reply: Steep hill start tip for manual 997.1?