Tweak Tip

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 04:49 PM
Dr.J
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tweak Tip

Hello everyone &

at about 78,000 km’s, just shy of 50,000 miles, I decided to replace the plugs in my 06 C2S. The first thing I discovered was cracked coil packs and so I updated these, as well. In looking at the heat shields, they were showing signs of wear and so I replaced these, also, given I installed Fabspeed SS headers. At some point, the thought occurred to ceramic coat the heat shields and so once I received the replacements, I sent them away for ceramic coating. This is the first summer with them installed and I’m happy to report that I actually notice a difference in the operational oil temperature, it runs slightly cooler, not a significant change, but, enough to notice. Also, when the oil temp goes up, pounding it in the heat, it seems to cool down more quickly.

This is a relatively inexpensive mod and easy to do - I feel it was well worth it and highly recommend it! Not only will ceramic coated heat shields help protect your coil packs more effectively, it helps with oil temp, too, which, maybe a stretch, might even improve engine longevity.

John
The following users liked this post:
Dennis R. Cliff (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 04:30 PM
dpwolk99
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cracked Coils

You mention cracked coils. Here are mine, replaced in my 2008 4S Cabriolet last week at just under 60,000 miles. Had no idea they could get like this...
Attached Images  
Old 07-10-2019, 04:46 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

About to get the coils and plugs done next week. I'd like to know what to expect.

Did you notice a change in responsiveness, idle, smoothness, anything changing coils and plugs??

Will definitely consider the ceramic coating.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:05 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Steph1
About to get the coils and plugs done next week. I'd like to know what to expect.

Did you notice a change in responsiveness, idle, smoothness, anything changing coils and plugs??

Always ask to see the used parts. It is therapeutic, as you slide all that cash over. Or so explains my automotive therapist/mechanic.
dpwolk99 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 05:32 PM
dpwolk99
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Steph1

I didn't notice anything until I lost a cylinder. But after the coils and plugs were replaced, it ran a smoothly, really purred...then I realized it might not have been at it's best. Looking at the coils, I'm amazed it ran at all...
Old 07-10-2019, 06:22 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by dpwolk99
I didn't notice anything until I lost a cylinder. But after the coils and plugs were replaced, it ran a smoothly, really purred...then I realized it might not have been at it's best. Looking at the coils, I'm amazed it ran at all...
Yeah, the pics of your coils are the reason for my question. Like most, I think my car is perfectly fine, but it takes a change like that to realize that it wasn't at its best.
dpwolk99 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 05:57 PM
Dr.J
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I concur, the engine ran more smoothly with the new plugs and updated coil packs. It now also definitely makes more power, but, I can't attribute it to the plugs and coil packs, alone, because I changed the air intake and added headers.

These cracking coil packs must be a known issue for Porsche as the replacement packs are re-engineered, improved over the originals!
dpwolk99 (07-11-2019)

Trending Topics

Old 07-11-2019, 09:05 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

I've had to replace mine a few times in my cars 97k Miles.

Quick Reply: Tweak Tip