Sponsored by:

Heat...Heat....and no more GPS

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 10:31 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Heat...Heat....and no more GPS

Something interesting happened to me this weekend. I was coming back from Oriental, NC from a rather disappointing weekend of sailing attempts (we got caught in a squall) as the weather was constantly changing between showers and seemingly blue skies.

The drive back to Raleigh is about 3 hours and the outside temperature was oscillating between 97 and 103.

My GPS system was working at the beginning but soon failed as the system was reporting a "Cannot Read the GPS disk". I did not pay more attention as I know the roads quite well.
The Audio system CD player was working fine.

Upon my arrival in Raleigh, I unloaded the front trunk and realized that the temperature inside the trunk was very high. I have the third radiator installed.

I suspect that the heat exchange of the third radiator combined with the 100 degrees plus of the outside air was enough to bring the GPS disk reader to an halt. Both CD/DVD players were extremely hot and I would not recommend putting any expensive cosmetics inside the front trunk on such hot days.

After leaving both lids open in the garage, the car could cool down and everything works again.

Yves
Old 07-09-2019, 06:13 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,735 Likes on 4,285 Posts

Interesting.

With your 3rd radiator install, how is the air from the backside of that radiator being directed? In the GT3 cars the design has the air flow up and out through the bumper smile vent, but in the Carreras it goes down and out the bottom. Is the airflow being properly managed as intended? I'm guessing the GT3 setup is probably more effective since hot air wants to rise and there's better airflow above the hood to move it away more efficiently than there is under the car, where it's slower to leave, and heating up the frunk from underneath. Do you have the aero kit bumper where you could do the top vent and get the ducting behind the bumper from a GT3?
Old 07-09-2019, 09:47 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

The air flows to the underneath of the car and it basically toasting the front trunk pit. Yes, the GT3 arrangement is more effective. Normally it is not so bad. I suspect that outside temperature of 100+ caused the GPS to overheat.

Yves
Old 07-10-2019, 02:40 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 102 Posts

FWIW, the 997 turbos have the 3rd radiator, but also vent through the bottom (unless GT2). Interestingly, however, I've noticed that there are small A/C ducts that blow cool air on all the electronics in the frunk -- something I don't remember seeing on my 997S -- so I guess the engineers agreed it was a risk/problem. They also included a power steering/hydraulic clutch cooler that's chilled by the A/C refrigerant line -- seems like overkill versus a small radiator, but who am I to second guess...
The following users liked this post:
yvesvidal (07-10-2019)

Quick Reply: Heat...Heat....and no more GPS