Old 06-30-2019, 07:52 PM
dynemd
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Porsche specs 37 lb ft but 19 works fine.[/QUOTE]

Right
Porsche Torque Spec. 37 ft/lbs
LN Strip-o-matic Spec 19 ft/lbs
I like the ebay steel plug also. oil pan runs about $180 worse case scenario.
I paid $800 once to fix an oil leak that was due to a cracked aluminum porsche plug once.

Last edited by dynemd; 06-30-2019 at 08:22 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-30-2019, 09:59 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,433 Likes on 1,318 Posts

steel plug ordered. Now if it only had a bolt head like a normal plug, all would be good in the world. I'd like to smack the guy who invented allen head fasteners.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:45 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I had a plug strip once. It was my own fault for not inserting the hex fully into the plug. It had been a long day.

Removal was easy ... Use a chisel with hammer along the side of the plug and it will break free immediately. Removal time is the same as using a wrench with a good plug.

Porsche specs 37 lb ft but 19 works fine.
Wayne - how do you find purchase for the chisel? The plug is flush counter-sunk into the oil pan? TIA
Old 07-02-2019, 08:47 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,760 Likes on 4,301 Posts

A Torx bit works pretty well in a stripped hex plug, especially an aluminum one, as all the splines bite better in the rounded hole. Just tap it in with a hammer and use a manual impact - the kind that turns when you hit it with a hammer.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:25 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 812 Posts

My stripped plug had a shoulder. Same for my replacement plug.

You could drill a pilot hole on the outer area and use a punch or Pete's idea is good as well (the torx socket will bite and the manual impact hammer (long used to split motorcycle cases) has gotten me out of many tight situations.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:43 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

You could also sacrifice a tool to get it out, use Pete's idea but clean it well with brake cleaner before hand. Wedge the torx bit in and then use copius amounts of JBWeld on the plug and torx bit to ensure you have that extra bit of grip on the plug. I also felt like the Porsche setting was a little high when I did my first change.

I'll try 19 next time and if it doesn't leak stick with that (also have the mag plug from LN now).

Too bad someone doesn't specify 25lbs - it would make the oil change filter and plug a little more easier by being the same setting.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:21 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Mine had a shoulder too. Using a plumber's monkey wrench made it super easy to get out. But the monkey wrench won't work if the plug is flush to the oil pan.

Another option is use a dremel and cut a slot into the plug, then chisel/screwdriver and hammer to spin it.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:46 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

all great ideas. Thanks guys.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:29 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by linderpat
Is it fvken possible to change the GD oil without stripping that POS aluminum plug? :
Yes, I've changed the oil 8 times over the 9 years we've owned the 09 S.
Never had an issue
Never used a TQ wrench to tighten
Always used new crush washers
Use new bolts ~ 75% of the time.
DIY and be happy.
Use a quality torque tip / hex wrench

good luck
Old 07-02-2019, 05:12 PM
UK2
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
You could also sacrifice a tool to get it out, use Pete's idea but clean it well with brake cleaner before hand. Wedge the torx bit in and then use copius amounts of JBWeld on the plug and torx bit to ensure you have that extra bit of grip on the plug. I also felt like the Porsche setting was a little high when I did my first change.

I'll try 19 next time and if it doesn't leak stick with that (also have the mag plug from LN now).

Too bad someone doesn't specify 25lbs - it would make the oil change filter and plug a little more easier by being the same setting.
The factory instructions for the oil filter states 19lbs which is the same as the aluminium plug. Not sure where you are getting 25lbs from. I use the same torque wrench setting for both, making the DIY a breeze.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:43 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

OK I have tried a number of things to no avail - I tapped in an over-sized torx bit, that just stripped it out further. I tried chisel it out, and that is not working. I now used J-B weld on the over-sized torx bit and glued it in, and will try that once it hardens, but I am not hopeful. This happened to me before and the weld did not hold.

So I ask the brain trust, how can I get it out? What is the proper way to chisel it out (maybe I'm doing that wrong?) I do not have a welder, so I cannot weld a bolt onto the flush allen head.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:59 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by linderpat
OK I have tried a number of things to no avail - I tapped in an over-sized torx bit, that just stripped it out further. I tried chisel it out, and that is not working. I now used J-B weld on the over-sized torx bit and glued it in, and will try that once it hardens, but I am not hopeful. This happened to me before and the weld did not hold.

So I ask the brain trust, how can I get it out? What is the proper way to chisel it out (maybe I'm doing that wrong?) I do not have a welder, so I cannot weld a bolt onto the flush allen head.
In worst case... replace the pan cover.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Woes