Sponsored by:

Help me Compile an Ultimate 997 Build bound to Appreciate

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 03:03 PM
zamorskii
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help me Compile an Ultimate 997 Build bound to Appreciate

Hi, I consider myself a fairly practical guy, been driving BMW’s over the past 15 years, had some manual M3 & M5’s, but recently got bit by a P-Car bug after driving friend’s 991 C4S cab and getting my wife in a 2018 Cayenne Platinum Edition, which got me itching for a 911 and brings up this question in my mind

What 911 model and with what build might I want to invest a reasonable amount of money today (say $75k for the sake of this discussion), while it increases in value over the next 10 years of my ownership?

From most impressions that I gather reading this forum, 997.2 is among the last beloved iterations that is a great balance between pure drivability and modern features. The vehicle that I am thinking of would replace my current e93 convertible that I use for 3 months, 2-3k miles per year. I am leaning towards a vert as it will supplement my daily driver X5, but I am also not opposed to a coupe, if that’s what holds the value better. I am looking at 993 Turbo and Turbo S’s selling for triple original sticker prices thinking what on the market today may appreciate if not like that, but perhaps close to it? Or is such appreciation only purview of Turbo, GT3 or GT3RS cars?

With that I realize that this is a completely subjective and novice question, but what do you feel should I start with and what are some of the most desirable colors and options that are a must for a vehicle bound to appreciate? Obviously, everything has to start with an impeccable history and low miles, buy what else do I REALLY want to look for? I am looking for recommendations like, “if you get a PDK, it has to come with Sport Chrono”, or “make sure you find a GTS with centerlock wheels” , or “it has to have Carbon buckets”, or “it must have PCCB and Sport Adaptive Seats”, or “look only at 6MT’s because that’s what purists will be looking for”, etc., etc. Hopefully this thread can be later summarized into something that can supplement the ultimate buyer’s guide, so any suggestions that you guys might have are highly appreciated.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:22 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Buy something you like to drive and if it holds its value count yourself as lucky. Even if a car holds its value there is a lot of slippage (insurance, maintenance, repairs, etc)

It's tough to make predictions especially about the future.

As an example, guys are doing PTS now in colors that were rare 8-20 years ago. They're betting that their PTS car will hold value like my 2011 PTS sort of has. (depreciation alone cost the first owner perhaps $5 a mile). In 10 years from now people may hate Viper Green and Mexico Blue - one never knows.

All that aside - you're not budgeting for what you want. At $75k - you're looking at 40-50k mile everyday Turbos (with no S). There's a nice and recent list on the 997 Turbo forum right now.

In general, a PTS coupe, most believe MT, PCCBs with 5 bolts, full leather, (the more the better until it gets goofy like the ac vents), less than 20k miles and only add 1000 per year for next 10 years, no wrecks, accidents, lease, theft, 1 or 2 owner, and any performance option available (after 385 hp on the 997.2 S any additional Porsche hp gets real expensive in aspirated).

If I were you, wait for the market to crash, short the full size S&P futures then buy GT2s and GT3s from guys that are getting pinched.

Last edited by MexicoBlueTurboS; 06-26-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:48 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 81 Posts

1. Low miles 1995-98 911 S model
2. low miles 2011-15 911 GTS
3. unusual color car (any year) somehow the paint to sample or rare color cars are always collectable.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:26 PM
zamorskii
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
Buy something you like to drive and if it holds its value count yourself as lucky. Even if a car holds its value there is a lot of slippage (insurance, maintenance, repairs, etc)

As an example, guys are doing PTS now in colors that were rare 8-20 years ago. They're betting that their PTS car will hold value like my 2011 PTS sort of has. (depreciation alone cost the first owner perhaps $5 a mile). In 10 years from now people may hate Viper Green and Mexico Blue - one never knows.

All that aside - you're not budgeting for what you want. At $75k - you're looking at 40-50k mile everyday Turbos (with no S). There's a nice and recent list on the 997 Turbo forum right now.

In general, a PTS coupe, most believe MT, PCCBs with 5 bolts, full leather, (the more the better until it gets goofy like the ac vents), less than 20k miles and only add 1000 per year for next 10 years, no wrecks, accidents, lease, theft, 1 or 2 owner, and any performance option available (after 385 hp on the 997.2 S any additional Porsche hp gets real expensive in aspirated).

If I were you, wait for the market to crash, short the full size S&P futures then buy GT2s and GT3s from guys that are getting pinched.
Appreciate your input. I'm not limiting my ideas to Turbo or Turbo S for that matter, just gave them as examples. Anything that may take a similar value trajectory like the '79 911SC that I let go too soon would do it for me.
I'm just not that well versed in all 997 nuances and thought it would be nice to hash out important stuff from superficial bells and whistles.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:36 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Unless you are already well off, i.e. rich, investing in a car for
appreciation is not a good idea.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:40 PM
HLCinCOU
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

This. I did consider future value as a factor when buying my 2012 C4S Cab, but that was far less important than what kind of car I wanted to drive. I wasn't willing to go with a coupe over future value concerns...I want to put the top down! It did probably push me over the edge on getting a 2012 instead of an earlier year of 997.2, on the theory that the final year would hold value better than priors (well that and my bank said 2011 and earlier would come with a higher interest rate). It made me happy that most folks seem to think the manuals will hold better...but I was already locked in on making sure my left foot didn't get bored.

Personally I've always found it more difficult (impossible really) to make predictions about the past.

In 10 years from now people may hate Viper Green and Mexico Blue - one never knows.
Ha, I didn't realize that was the name of the color; I thought you had a blue turbo and were located in Mexico!
The following users liked this post:
MexicoBlueTurboS (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 06:43 PM
HLCinCOU
Instructor

Originally Posted by ogun228
Unless you are already well off, i.e. rich, investing in a car for
appreciation is not a good idea.
Well the guy has an E93 convertible, an X5, and a Cayenne Platinum for the wife; and an itch for a 911. I'd say he's not hurting.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:31 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 293 Posts

If you're looking to park your money somewhere, don't do it for a 997. The prices have already gone up, and after registration, maintenance, you'll be lucky to break even after you use the car over some period of time. That's also if you don't put any miles on it either - which for this car, is utterly pointless.

It's hard to chase luck on a *deal*, because dozens of other people are doing the same.

And finally, let's say you score a deal that's ~$5k below average asking market price, you'll quickly negate that number in depreciation, mileage, repairs, reg, etc. etc. There were some GTSs that you might have bene able to get into 3-4 years ago in the 50s that have jumped up... but you're way past that bandwagon.

TL;DR: pointless to speculate, there is no guarantee. Buy something you like, hope for the best, be ready for the worst.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:41 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Yeah, buy a car to drive it. Sounds a bit illogical that you would like a cab, but would drive with a top over your head for the next 10 years for the sole reason that it might increase in value by then.

In Porsche world, you can drive the best combination ever, but all it takes is that one guy or girl that runs a red light or stop sign and the value of your car takes a major major hit.

So drive what you want and just enjoy the fact that in 10 years, you will have driven a Pcar with an excellent resale value.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:30 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
Ha, I didn't realize that was the name of the color; I thought you had a blue turbo and were located in Mexico!
Yeah.... that photo of my son is misleading. Many others have made the same conclusion.

HLCinCOU (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 08:33 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,467 Likes on 2,725 Posts

-Lets start with a manual transmission as I assume your not a Grandma?
-2nd it must have PSE(Porsche sound exhaust)because it sounds the best and everyone tries to duplicate it and fails
-Car must be lower a slight bit 1.5" H&R Springs
-Adaptive Sport Seats combined with Function First Short Shift Kit
zamorskii (06-27-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 08:40 PM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 85 Posts

Since you’ve already gotten plenty of “buy what you want to drive” responses (which is really the right answer), I’ll try to respond as directly as possible. I’d speculate that your best bet for appreciation on a non-GT / GTRS 997.2 would be a manual, rear wheel drive GTS coupe. Low miles and an interesting color if possible. 5-lug wheels are a bonus. Now, I’m not sure $75K gets you into that party anymore, as the hay is at least somewhat out of the barn. However, if you can still punch your ticket within your budget, I’d guess the ride upward isn’t over yet.
zamorskii (06-27-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:41 PM
HLCinCOU
Instructor

I've been thinking about this thread all day, and since my last post I have several thoughts on the matter, some of which might even be new:

1. The first and last thing is still what most everybody already said: buy what you want and don't worry about the rest.
2. You want a cab, so get a cab. You'll regret not doing that on every single nice day.
3. Get a manual. Not only does the consensus appear to be that it'll have better future value, but it's also just the Right Thing To Do. I've driven PDKs, and if you're like me and always drive manuals, it's way more fun that you would have guessed! But it's still just not...quite...as good.
4. Get ventilated seats. I have no idea what this means in terms of value later. But in a cab, in the summer....oh man, get ventilated seats.
5. You want the sport package. Again it's the combo: probably better future value, definitely better experience.
6. It seems like the consensus is 2-wheel versions will do better on value. If you didn't care otherwise, go for it. Lots of people though have strong feelings on one side or the other about this. My Audi TTQ spoiled me on AWD, so I never considered anything that wasn't a 4. Also I highly recommend driving with the top down in the snow.
7. See #1.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:21 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

The OP is in Minnesota. There are two seasons there. Freezing and Mosquito. Both should influence his car choice.

San Diego - get a cab. Minnesota - you'll be mosquito swarmed at every stop light.

Dallas - AWD is extra weight. Minnesota - (if they don't salt the roads*) - then a great time to play in a 4S.

*They do use sodium chloride in both Bloomington and Hennepen. Short driving season, lots of DEET, and lots of getting down low to rinse the undercarriage.

If you let the underside corrode forget about any break even possibilities.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:44 PM
HLCinCOU
Instructor

The OP is in Minnesota. There are two seasons there. Freezing and Mosquito. Both should influence his car choice.

San Diego - get a cab. Minnesota - you'll be mosquito swarmed at every stop light.
I'm in Missouri, where we have all four seasons all the time. Cabbin' in the winter is great! And dude says he has been driving cabs a bunch and wants one, so he already knows...

Dallas - AWD is extra weight. Minnesota - (if they don't salt the roads*) - then a great time to play in a 4S.
Yeah, this I can get behind!

*They do use sodium chloride in both Bloomington and Hennepen. Short driving season, lots of DEET, and lots of getting down low to rinse the undercarriage.

If you let the underside corrode forget about any break even possibilities.
This sounds right to me too, and should probably inform my future behavior...

Quick Reply: Help me Compile an Ultimate 997 Build bound to Appreciate