Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Exige/Elise owners?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 05:37 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

The Evora is a closer comparison to the 997 or any 911. The Elise and Exige really aren't the same type of car.... much smaller, much harsher ride. I did and would still go with a 911 over an Evora for daily driving, general maintenance, interior quality etc. The Toyota engine reliability and rarity of the Evora were the only places where it beat out the 911.

The Elise is much more of a track animal to me and if I were to go there for track use, would be more likely to compare it to a Miata all setup for the track and get that as additive.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:51 PM
Slc801
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mujeriega
The Evora is a closer comparison to the 997 or any 911. The Elise and Exige really aren't the same type of car.... much smaller, much harsher ride. I did and would still go with a 911 over an Evora for daily driving, general maintenance, interior quality etc. The Toyota engine reliability and rarity of the Evora were the only places where it beat out the 911.

The Elise is much more of a track animal to me and if I were to go there for track use, would be more likely to compare it to a Miata all setup for the track and get that as additive.
Yeah, definitely wasn't comparing the Elise or Exige to the 977, as the original post states. This would be in addition to other cars I have that would be a very stark contrast.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:50 PM
larojas
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sold my 997 C2S and bought an Elise. I did several track days in the Porsche and it performed great.

But the Elise is another level of fun and teaches you so much more. My times were probably around the same or even higher in the Lotus probably but I don't care the least.

Caveat: I blew a tire on the track, went off track, and damaged the front clamshell. That was in September. It is now June and I still don't have the car back...

All in all I'd still say do it. Just avoid off-road excursions!
Old 06-26-2019, 06:54 PM
Frank Amoroso
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by larojas
I sold my 997 C2S and bought an Elise. I did several track days in the Porsche and it performed great.

But the Elise is another level of fun and teaches you so much more. My times were probably around the same or even higher in the Lotus probably but I don't care the least.

Caveat: I blew a tire on the track, went off track, and damaged the front clamshell. That was in September. It is now June and I still don't have the car back...

All in all I'd still say do it. Just avoid off-road excursions!
Eliges are as analog as it gets (even the ones with traction control). It's just the driver and the car. Hell, my '05 Elise even has a throttle cable.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:54 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
If you’re considering going down that path I recommend checking out a 4C coupe with all the performance bells and whistles.

Wicked car and wicked bargain. Many compromises vs a 911 but so many benefits too. Assuming you can deal with the obvious practicality compromises the only real typical complaint is the OEM Pirellis accentuate tram-lining. Two quick fixes are new tires and if that doesnt solve it, minor suspension adjustment.

Far more exciting car than anything Porsche currently offers below $150k and a heckuva lot better at being a sports car than the newest Caymans...I added one recently (a Launch Edition) and it is now my go-to car for twisties. Kept the 997.2 4S because I just love its ability to be a great sports car, the looks, the 6MT, and the relative practicality, but the 4C is awesome. Also the DCT in that application is a non issue as you will have both hands on the wheel when the boost kicks in and as you enjoy the directness of non power assisted steering and <2400 lb weight.
I love the 4C but no sticks right?

Tom
Old 07-02-2019, 01:00 PM
Frank Amoroso
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I love the 4C but no sticks right?

Tom
No. Sticks.

Also, even though 4Cs have a CF tub, they're still heavier and more complex than an Elige. Honestly, once you've worked with something under 2,000 pounds, it's hard to go back to dancing with elephants.

It's all relative though, Seven drivers make fun of how portly Eliges are.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:17 PM
Slc801
Advanced

Originally Posted by Frank Amoroso
No. Sticks.

Also, even though 4Cs have a CF tub, they're still heavier and more complex than an Elige. Honestly, once you've worked with something under 2,000 pounds, it's hard to go back to dancing with elephants.

It's all relative though, Seven drivers make fun of how portly Eliges are.
I'm days away from pulling the trigger and making the switch i think *teeth clinch emoji thingy*
Old 07-02-2019, 05:02 PM
Frank Amoroso
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slc801
I'm days away from pulling the trigger and making the switch i think *teeth clinch emoji thingy*
Best of luck and ENJOY the drive. Reach out to me if you're interested in discussing further, including acquisition and track preparation options.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:17 PM
Slc801
Advanced

Originally Posted by Frank Amoroso
Best of luck and ENJOY the drive. Reach out to me if you're interested in discussing further, including acquisition and track preparation options.

Will do.....if it works out. Just got an email from the dealer (I had a PPI scheduled but didn't leave a deposit.....its been for sale for a long time...) saying they took a deposit and will keep me updated:

Old 07-03-2019, 02:00 PM
MaximumA
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I considered an Evora, but bought a 997. A Lotus Elise is pretty much the one car I still want to buy and own (ultra light weight, mid engined, manual), but since they didn't import them over here in Finland, it's a challenge. One day maybe.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:53 PM
Donny87
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will do.....if it works out. Just got an email from the dealer (I had a PPI scheduled but didn't leave a deposit.....its been for sale for a long time...) saying they took a deposit and will keep me updated:

I've been thinking about doing this recently. Did you keep your 911 or get an Elise?
Old 03-12-2020, 05:17 PM
Slc801
Advanced

Originally Posted by Donny87
I've been thinking about doing this recently. Did you keep your 911 or get an Elise?
Hi, i did go Exige S and have put over 4k miles on it since July of last year. Simply no car like it at the price range. Dead nuts reliable as well which helps with any "worst case scenario" angst.

That said, my wife and I also bought some land last fall and are building a little cabin on it this summer. Being that its a 5th car, it may have to go on the market soon. Let me know if you have interest and I can share all the details.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:22 PM
V-Raptor
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to sell my Elise to get into a 997. This is my second Elise back seat need wining out again but, who knows for how long lol. If I go back to two seats it will be a Lotus!
Old 03-13-2020, 01:27 PM
Donny87
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by V-Raptor
I am looking to sell my Elise to get into a 997. This is my second Elise back seat need wining out again but, who knows for how long lol. If I go back to two seats it will be a Lotus!
If I could I’d own both.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:31 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Hi, i did go Exige S and have put over 4k miles on it since July of last year. Simply no car like it at the price range. Dead nuts reliable as well which helps with any "worst case scenario" angst.

That said, my wife and I also bought some land last fall and are building a little cabin on it this summer. Being that its a 5th car, it may have to go on the market soon. Let me know if you have interest and I can share all the details.
Put some miles on it and/or drive it hard and you may have a different experience. I purchased a 2006 Elise new and within 3 years and 30,000 miles, I had the transmission replaced 3 times and the engine replaced once. The 2nd gear synchros were horrible on that transmission. Each transmission ran about $17,000 and the engine was about $24,000. The warranty repairs exceeded the price of the car. Fun car to drive though, but horrible dependability.

Quick Reply: 997 Exige/Elise owners?