To respray or not, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 04:16 PM
GSXR750
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default To respray or not, that is the question

Hello 997 peeps,

i have a 2010 997.2 MT Carrera that I absolutely love driving.
It’s a weekend car and used for HPDE and ACH runs.

The hood has developed pits from the rocks up at the Crest.
Its at that point. It’s going to cost 2k for a front respray or just drive it.
My friends say drive it and keep the original paint and keep it honest.
I’ve replaced the windscreen already.

Thoughts?

thanks
mike
Old 06-18-2019, 04:33 PM
jcdeng
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

if you plan on ever selling it, get a good detailing with touch up and call it a day, paint meter readings on a respray panel will tank the value by 5-10k (clean carfax won't mean much when its up against paint meter).
Old 06-18-2019, 04:57 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I'd rather have a really good respray over a pitted finish if buying. If keeping a long time, wouldn't you prefer a great finish to look at and take care of? You can put film on to protect respray. Take some before pics and keep receipt for respray to explain why done so someone doesn't think you're covering up an accident.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:08 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

Keep it "honest"... ???.... World Trade Federation.... Who creates this crap and puts it into our consciousness?

Do care about the chips or not?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-18-2019, 06:49 PM
anewman
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 118 Posts

Your car was "painted" at the factory, not magically coated with some other-worldly process. A "proper" respray is a good thing, not a bad thing. If you drive a '73 RS, then think long and hard before removing or adding paint, but for any modern car that can have the same, if not better, paint work done then why fear it. It will look great again. As for resale, just be able to document that it was not an accident and a bunch of bent metal (read: hidden problems), and just a new suit, and who knows, it might actually increase its value.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:41 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

but what about the Rennlisters who show up with a paint meter when you go to sell your car, they won't be pleased with ANY changes to paint thickness.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:16 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 117 Posts

Clearly a respray is preferred (quality one!)in this case so long as known there was no accident.

Not sure who on earth would prefer a pitted hood over a clean one.

What is NOT okay is if it is not documented (reason for respray) or if it is shoddily done.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:46 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 166 Posts

I got mine resprayed due to a rock chip (luckily insurance covers in California under a comprehensive rock chip claim). Front bumper, hood, new windshield. The car is pristine. Zero regrets whatsoever. I will be long dead before "barn find original paint" plays any role in the value of my car :-)

Only regret was not putting a clear bra on it after. Ive got 3-4 small chips 25k miles later.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:11 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
but what about the Rennlisters who show up with a paint meter when you go to sell your car, they won't be pleased with ANY changes to paint thickness.
Do folks here know that putting miles on a car reduces its value?

I will make a declaration here.... going to risk ticking many off.... I don't care: If anyone buys a car as an investment, is a moron. Thank you... I will go now.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-18-2019, 09:23 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Turboweenies who wouldn't be caught dead owning a car with a resprayed hood are also not going to want one with a bunch of chips and pits, either.

These aren't rare 1-of-7 vintage Ferraris. I'd wager most buyers looking at a non-garage queen, non-collectible Porsche would prefer one that looks showroom new after a quality documented respray versus one that looks like it spent its life driving behind dump trucks.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:16 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

The kind of buyer who cares about a properly resprayed hood isn’t going to want to buy a car that’s been tracked, either. Do what makes you happy.

if you respray it, put a clear bra on it or cover the front end with blue painter’s tape when you track it.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:22 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

You could try this and some touch up paint. I use it on stone chips and it works really well.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...:1,prmr:1,cs:1
Old 06-19-2019, 03:53 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by voiceprint1

That's why I would lean towards leaving it as is so the buyer (if you decide to sell) can see for him/her self what the actual "damage" is. Then you can pay for the respray or negotiate on the price or whatever. Once resprayed there will always be questions and matters of full disclosure.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:23 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,312 Posts

I would not buy one of these cars worrying so much about what the next guy may or may not want. It is a relatively high production number, mass produced sports car. A great one, but still, that's what it is. Drive it, enjoy it, paint it or not. The value really does not matter so long as it is what is pleasing to you. If resale is your objective, then you should rethink the model that you are "investing" in. My car is daily driven (not winter though), and tracked occasionally. It is a beautiful color, but it now has a fair amount of rash, and frankly it did when I bought it. I may have it resprayed at some point, or not. I like not worrying about it.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:59 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

^^^^^^ Agreed.

It's best to just enjoy it to the max you can. If that means getting a respray, get a respray and document the before and after. I think all the obsession with resale value here on this forum is a bit wacky. You got money for an expensive (previously $100k or more) toy car but will fret about a few thousand in resale.. its false economy. You buy a toy, you should enjoy it without worry about resale.

Quick Reply: To respray or not, that is the question