Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Scratches and Nicks -- Dr. Color Chip, Paint Scratch or OEM Paint Pen?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 03:01 PM
Submariner2009
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paint Scratches and Nicks -- Dr. Color Chip, Paint Scratch or OEM Paint Pen?

Folks,

My 06 997 in Arctic Silver has some usual bumper nicks and three noticeable ones on the bonnet -- would appreciate folks' opinion on the best product to use for this? Pic of the bonnet is here, I've used Dr. Color Chip with a dark blue BMW before with decent results but though it'd be helpful to get any additional insight.

Thanks

Old 06-18-2019, 04:28 PM
KahalaM5
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I used Paint Scratch touch-up on my Meteor Gray 987 a few months ago, and was pleased with the result. It wasn't show quality, and I only cut/polished by hand, but it made the scratches pretty imperceptible unless you looked closely. If you follow the many instructions available online, and have access to an orbital polisher, you should get good results.

I have a few chips and scratches on my Arctic Silver 997, and will use Paint Scratch again.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:38 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

There are no small knicks. Only tall ones.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:25 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts

I liked the Dr. Color chip application and color match, but a small repair on my car has "washed" off?
Old 06-19-2019, 02:31 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

For 30 years, I always buy touch up paint from the dealer. Never had a mismatch problem.... UNTIL NOW!!! I purchased Porsche touch up for Ruby Red Metallic and it is just darker. So instead of chips, I have dark red dots. I am kinda pissed actually.

I have no opinions for other products. For my next car, I will again buy touch up paint from the dealer, but will try it out on a hidden area first.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-19-2019, 02:36 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
I liked the Dr. Color chip application and color match, but a small repair on my car has "washed" off?
Some car care products will put a barrier between the paint and your car. A good tip before touch up, is to use Dawn detergent for wash, this will strip all wax, and if you used any other "special" stuff on your car, take some polishing liquid and gently rub around the area and then get all the residue out... rewash with some Dawn if worried. A friend said to then use alcohol as prep... I never did ..... and never had a problem with my process.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-19-2019, 03:14 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I've had the same problem with buying touch up paint from the dealer (Carmine Red), and it is darker than my car. Could it be that the red paint fades over time, so the color is hard to match?
Old 06-19-2019, 03:20 PM
Metaphysician
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

I have a bottle of Dr. Colorchip coming for my Platinum Silver Metallic and hope it will be a good match. I've had good luck with their products. Application technique is critical and I highly recommend using this pen:
Loew-Cornell Fine Line Painting Pen Loew-Cornell Fine Line Painting Pen
You get a bottle of touch-up paint, fill the reservoir, and make super-tiny dabs in the scratch (rather than using a brush) to level out the void.

Here's a tutorial on this technique and tool:

Old 06-19-2019, 03:58 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

I’ve had good experiences with Dr Colorchip. It’s very easy to apply, easy to wipe off if you screw up, and the end result was much better than expected.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:24 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Metaphysician
I have a bottle of Dr. Colorchip coming for my Platinum Silver Metallic and hope it will be a good match. I've had good luck with their products. Application technique is critical and I highly recommend using this pen: Loew-Cornell Fine Line Painting Pen You get a bottle of touch-up paint, fill the reservoir, and make super-tiny dabs in the scratch (rather than using a brush) to level out the void.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz-zW-cLdUs

I bought that kit for my Platinum Silver and it matched great. The system works okay, but my nick was raised so nothing could be done to fix it really. Dr. Colorchip is pretty cool.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:57 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
You must clean the area first with alcohol, to remove wax, oil, dirt, etc, otherwise the paint will wash off, because it isn't adhered to the metal, but to the dirt.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:52 PM
jimfuerst
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

very useful. I really hate using the doc color chip applicator
Old 06-22-2019, 12:11 AM
911Consultant
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Metaphysician
I have a bottle of Dr. Colorchip coming for my Platinum Silver Metallic and hope it will be a good match. I've had good luck with their products. Application technique is critical and I highly recommend using this pen:
Loew-Cornell Fine Line Painting Pen Loew-Cornell Fine Line Painting Pen
You get a bottle of touch-up paint, fill the reservoir, and make super-tiny dabs in the scratch (rather than using a brush) to level out the void.

Yep, what I did and now cant find the touch ups.

Quick Reply: Paint Scratches and Nicks -- Dr. Color Chip, Paint Scratch or OEM Paint Pen?