Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering a 997: "not recommended" on Penske and U-haul?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 01:40 AM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used a uhaul trailer without any issues. One tip for you, remove the extra high front wheel stops for the extra clearance that you need for the front bumper. The ramps are actually really long and I was able to drive my 997 right onto the trailer.
Name:  photo825.jpg
Views: 1739
Size:  196.9 KB
Old 06-06-2019, 09:06 AM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 278 Posts

The problem with those rental trailers is that they are super heavy. Be sure you have a robust tow vehicle.
Also be sure you get your tongue weight right, especially if you are not loading the car backwards.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:24 AM
AMGM5S8
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried using uhaul and could not get my car on both ways. I found united trailers and worked well
Old 06-06-2019, 09:58 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

That Speed Yellow 997 towed by the 4Runner was me. Easy tow but yes backing on the trailer is what you should do. No wood needed and the tire straps were fine. If your nervous, strap all 4 wheels.
Trailer had surge brakes I believe.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:39 PM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
That Speed Yellow 997 towed by the 4Runner was me. Easy tow but yes backing on the trailer is what you should do. No wood needed and the tire straps were fine. If your nervous, strap all 4 wheels.
Trailer had surge brakes I believe.
No need to back on. The 997 is super short, the rear wheels barely land behind the axles of the uhaul trailer. I have measured the tongue weight on a similar trailer with the car pulled on front facing and it was perfect. Your tongue weight in that picture looks crazy high judging by how much the 4Runner is squatting.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:56 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

The issue with UHaul trailers and 997s is that UHaul trailers have a depression at the very front of the rails and that's where you're supposed to locate your front wheels. The straps are located there.

On the 997, the front overhang is very low and long and if you pull forward enough, the front bumper hangs very far over the tongue of the trailer. You would want to load the car and take some slow, tight turns in the parking lot to make sure the corners of the 997 don't come into contact with the corners of the tow vehicle in a sharp turn. They probably wouldn't but I'd want to check before I hit the highway anyway.

Not a big deal, but between that and the ramp height, it is easier to back the car onto that type of trailer.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:01 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Just finished a 2K mike two from Texas to Virginia. Loading required a few planks to ensure the front spoiler cleared the ramps. Backing it on wouldn't have made a difference. The front will either scrape either way.

I did have to remove the front vertical stops that prevent you from driving off the front of the trailer. I figure the trailer and car come in at around 5500lbs.
Attached Images    
Old 06-06-2019, 09:24 PM
Qwksnke
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by idlook2
No need to back on. The 997 is super short, the rear wheels barely land behind the axles of the uhaul trailer. I have measured the tongue weight on a similar trailer with the car pulled on front facing and it was perfect. Your tongue weight in that picture looks crazy high judging by how much the 4Runner is squatting.
This! The object is to spread the weight over the rear axles. Not focus it on the tongue or tail of the trailer. Makes a huge difference in towing.
I experienced tail wag one time at 70mph because of improper loading.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:31 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 278 Posts

Tongue weight should be no less than 10% and no more than 15% of loaded trailer weight.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:30 PM
MichaelC4
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I broke the drivers side fender liner and didn't know it until I was almost to work 3 days after I took it off the trailer. Man was that noisy dragging on the ground. 🙄 I think where it happened was where the ramps met the trailer.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:26 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by JAGMAN1
Just finished a 2K mike two from Texas to Virginia. Loading required a few planks to ensure the front spoiler cleared the ramps. Backing it on wouldn't have made a difference. The front will either scrape either way.

I did have to remove the front vertical stops that prevent you from driving off the front of the trailer. I figure the trailer and car come in at around 5500lbs.
Congrats! Where in Virginia are you located? I'm in richmond.

Cw
Old 06-13-2019, 04:13 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
lol.
I actually had someone offer to let me drive an E46 from NY to LA but when we did a cost analysis, it ended up being cheaper to ship.

I will reiterate that in my experience with lowered cars, a lot of wood was needed for various lips and ride heights. With U-Haul type trailers and my friend's various trailers, I have noticed a collection of wood on the trailer I most used was kept in the garage that seemed to border on ridiculous but it makes sense now, people borrowing his trailer added to the wood pile and with 3 different cars, I used 3 different combos of wood. There was also always a guy who seemed to be the "wood philosopher" getting down on the ground and theorizing on how to optimize the various blocks and planks who I would later reward with fast foods and beers for his efforts. I have seen tow truck drivers who specialize in this with their flat beds do things which bordered on magic with static race and show cars lacking FAL or other such devices.

I think Iceeater's comments warrant the most logical concerns still. DesmoSd's pics are helpful because I only have mental pics. of the trailer jams at BRP and WSIR on Friday afternoons and Saturday mornings...

Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHMNZrdh6f4
a classic.

Oh heck noooo!! Did they just try to load a Civic into a 20' U Haul truck with those short ramps ALL while trying to push it!!! Then her dumb *** boyfriend, prob amp'd off 3 Monster's rips his gf for turning the wheel. What a bunch of idiots! They really thought it would work!
Old 06-13-2019, 04:22 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

That reminded of the numerous idiots not using the correct length ramps, not strapping them down and not using the correct assistance only to fail. I can ride up my moto up onto the truck but I have the arched 9' blackwidow ramps.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:43 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Apparently, none of those guys understands the concepts of high-centering or break-over angle.

Quick Reply: Trailering a 997: "not recommended" on Penske and U-haul?