Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change your transmission fluid!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 11:21 PM
black997er
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Change your transmission fluid!!

Ok, so the title is a bit click baity, but I think I do have something important to share. I’ve long heard that Porsche intended for MT fluid to be a lifetime fill. However, in my quest for smoother shifter feel I decided to get some Mobilube PTX 75W90 from Suncoast and have recently changed out my fluid. See pictures below for the sludge and metal contents I found in the fluid ... did not look kosher!! My car had ~68k miles when I did the fluid exchange, and I am currently awaiting oil analysis results from both Blackstone and SpeedDiagnostix (I will post results when I find them).

So did it help? I immediately noticed that my 1st-2nd was smoother when cold. I have already upgraded my shifter to a factory short shift kit and changed the plastic bushings for metal bushings from Phenix Engineering; this helped with quicker shifts which feel smoother when done quicker actually. There’s still some slop in the shift mechanism and I believe that it can be resolved with new shifter cables which I will be upgrading soon (got some 996/997 cup car cables from Gert at Carnewal). Will update the thread with how well this works.

Cheers!

Old 05-06-2019, 11:53 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Did you know the magnetic drain plug we all use in our oil pan is the same thread and everything? Yep you can install a magnetic drain plug into your MT drain too.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:58 PM
black997er
Instructor

Originally Posted by doclouie
Did you know the magnetic drain plug we all use in our oil pan is the same thread and everything? Yep you can install a magnetic drain plug into your MT drain too.
Yes mate, I did install the magnetic drain plug from LN Engineering. Since I intend to swap the fluid every 30k miles, I’ll see what it captures next time.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:55 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by black997er
Yes mate, I did install the magnetic drain plug from LN Engineering. Since I intend to swap the fluid every 30k miles, I’ll see what it captures next time.

Im thinking of doing the same. Is your car a 997.2 (2009) manual and the LN drain plug fits the transmission ?
Old 05-23-2019, 12:03 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I somehow get the feeling Porsche is not giving a good recommendation on any fluid changes. My car has a PDK (I come in peace, friends).. and also the Porsche recommended time for the gearbox service (fluid change) was too long! I had mine done early on both time and mileage and noticed a big improvement in shift quality. After the change the car was even better than when I first bought it at 26k miles.

I wonder what, besides the obvious, could account for such discrepancies in the recommendation and what is observed by owners. If doing it early is noticeable improvement from both manual and PDK owners.. seems recommendation is clearly wrong
Old 05-23-2019, 12:13 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

Yup, yup. 100% agree. I sent the same PSA out in January. I think the manual states 100k change schedule but I believe all cars at this age should have it done no matter what miles. its $100...

I also used PTX and there was an immediate improvement. From time to time I had the 1st gear jam but my primary issue was I would get a slight grind when shifting into 4th on the first cold shift of the day. Both solved after changing the oil.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:02 PM
black997er
Instructor

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Im thinking of doing the same. Is your car a 997.2 (2009) manual and the LN drain plug fits the transmission ?
Thats exactly right sir ... I have a 997.2 (2010) manual, and the LN drain plug screws right into the transmission drain plug. I bought a 2nd one to install in my sump at the next oil change.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:04 PM
black997er
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fined
I somehow get the feeling Porsche is not giving a good recommendation on any fluid changes. My car has a PDK (I come in peace, friends).. and also the Porsche recommended time for the gearbox service (fluid change) was too long! I had mine done early on both time and mileage and noticed a big improvement in shift quality. After the change the car was even better than when I first bought it at 26k miles.

I wonder what, besides the obvious, could account for such discrepancies in the recommendation and what is observed by owners. If doing it early is noticeable improvement from both manual and PDK owners.. seems recommendation is clearly wrong
Porsche also used to quote 20k mile oil change intervals. I respect their engineering but I would certainly never follow this recommendation! As for the “lifetime” fill intervals, I’d say the same: just get fresh fluid in, get the best stuff, and you give your car the best chances of making it to 200k miles as I plan to do

Lastly, changing fluid “early” can also be a valuable diagnostic tool, as I shall demonstrate when I post my recent used transmission fluid analysis (Blackstone & Speed Diagnostix).
Old 05-25-2019, 03:10 PM
black997er
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Yup, yup. 100% agree. I sent the same PSA out in January. I think the manual states 100k change schedule but I believe all cars at this age should have it done no matter what miles. its $100...

I also used PTX and there was an immediate improvement. From time to time I had the 1st gear jam but my primary issue was I would get a slight grind when shifting into 4th on the first cold shift of the day. Both solved after changing the oil.
Agree 100% with TheBruce! My issues were a slight grind into 2nd gear shift when cold (much improved, but still present) and slightly notchy 4th gear shift at any temp (completely gone, cold or hot). I’ll back up these observations after I scrub my oil analysis results of personal info and post them here.

Last edited by black997er; 05-25-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:00 PM
BLU997
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 103 Posts

I think the engineers at Porsche were given the task of pushing out the trans oil change intervals, not for purely mechanical reasons, but to satisfy "life of product" overall hydrocarbon use/waste.

The same goes for Start/Stop technology, and the horrible "Don't warm up your engine, just drive" advice in the Owner's booklet.

Appeasing the joint forces of marketing/environmental devils.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:01 AM
Carerra
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am a Porsche Noob (3 years in to my 1st Porsche) I did the transmission fluid change precisely at the recommended 120k miles. Saw a dramatic improvement in shifting over the next 20 k miles. It is like butter as I thought it should have been all along.

I think a worrying tidbit in all of this is that it seems like Porsche think 120K miles and lifetime are synonymous.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:56 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Had mine changed to the Mobil at around 60K, no noticeable improvement at all, still occasionally balks going into 1st at a light.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:50 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 403 Posts

I never changed the manual transmission fluid in my Boxster for the 17 yrs I owned it. Transmission always shifted smooth and never balked. Got 28k miles on my 07 997s manual and haven’t changed the tranny fluid. If it ain’t broke?...
Old 05-27-2019, 07:05 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Had my 2007 Targa 4 with 70000 miles done 2 weeks ago and the flushed oil both in the transmission and final drive looked fresh and very recent. The guy I bought it from had owned it for 4 years and never did that job. Both the tranny and f-drive had magnetic plugs and no metal in there at all other than a hint of metal powder way down deep inside the plug... so all is good. I also found smoother shifting, but blame it on placebo effect.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:58 PM
black997er
Instructor

Default UOA on the old fluid

Finally got got off my *** and photo’d the UOA reports. All looks good except I had some dirt in the old fluid and still have a worn synchro and/or gear. This is why my 2nd gear shift improved with a fluid change but is still a bit notchy when cold ... not the worst, will live with it for now.

Anyway, I switched to the factory short shift kit with Phenix Engineering metal bushings ... both phenomenal products, enjoyed them even with the old fluid and stock cables. But folks, and MORE IMPORTANTLY, I diy installed the factory 996/997 Cup car shift cables. A bit of a PITA to install but when done words cannot express how much slicker and more direct the shifter feels now ... omg! Had a colleague that drives a 987 Cayman drive my car ... immediately after the drive he went online to shop for cables I don’t know why Porsche doesn’t just install these from the factory?! Oh wait, I know why: NVH. Be sure to wrap your cables in fuel line if you don’t like to hear the gears spooling up so loudly and your clutch cluttering as it engages. Here’s a brilliant shifter cable DIY here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...placement.html.

I digress, UOA below!

Quick Reply: Change your transmission fluid!!