Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's How you Discuss Cars w/Wife (997 content)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 05:33 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 5,002 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Originally Posted by venom51
I guess I lucked out. Mine went something like this...

Me : "I'm buying a Porsche."
Her : "Your also building me another house. We need a bigger a garage."
Me : "Ok"
Nice!
Old 06-03-2019, 06:12 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 545 Posts

They say that the two happiest days of boat ownership are they day you buy it and the day you sell it...
Old 06-03-2019, 06:28 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts

In 22 years, neither my wife nor I have ever brought up the D-word in an argument. Throwing it around because of a car seems irresponsible--but then again, I don't know your friend's financial condition.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:54 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
I have a good wife. 90% of a man’s misery or happiness comes in the decision of who they marry. I chose wisely, but my wife chose poorly. LOL.
Hilarious!! Sometimes, I feel the same way.

I'm in the same situation... If I move us to a house with a larger garage, she doesn't have an issue with me getting another car. Pondering the idea of a house with a toy/RV garage so that I can just put in a 2 post lift and have plenty of space for a project car as well as anything else.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:13 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

Maybe go buy a couple gallons of paint and then you're good?
Old 06-03-2019, 07:15 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

Sell the boats...use part of the funds to buy the paint and supplies, paint a room and throw in a set of new linens and you should be golden. A small price to pay.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:00 PM
911Consultant
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, there you go.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:12 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Me- I'd like another Porsche.
Wife- I'd like the kitchen redone.
Me- I'm good.
Wife- thought so.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:13 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

I dropped by Akers Porsche today and saw Denny Aker who's minding the shop till his son Mark gets home from vacation---> Few Threads ago I mentioned Denny said he would sell me his 2006 C4S (Silver/Black 53K miles Sport Seats/PSE w/new clutch/water pump/brakes)
when he decides to sell it. We talked about it again today and he promised he'd sell it to me within a year when he orders a new Porsche Targa. I have to buy this car. It's perfect and I'd would love to have his car not only because of his being a P-car collector/ involved in the P car repair business for 60 years but because he's been an acquaintance/friend for 34.

My efforts will be directed toward getting rid of the cherry tree in our back yard which is the way of my garage extension.
You know, the cherry tree my wife thinks we are going to keep even though it hasn't produced fruit in 15 years---> It drops flower buds all over our deck which get tracked into our house every year and the large branches hang precariously over my car when it's parked in front of my garage.
Should be another fun conversation
Old 06-03-2019, 08:14 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 186 Posts

In 35 years of marriage I have never consulted my wife before buying a car. I just show her what followed me home and she rolls her eyes and gets over it. I understand everyone doesn't have a wife like mine, but I guess that's how we've lasted 35 years. I don't recommend anyone else doing what I have done because most wife's may not be as understanding of this illness as mine. One thing, I have always made sure she drove something very nice like a new Mercedes or the like and even though she won't admit it I know she likes it.

One time after I returned home from a swap meet my wife asked me facetiously if I had purchased any cars? I replied, "Yes I bought a Mercedes and that it was out in the driveway". She gave me the usual sour look and went out to check it out. I had purchased a tiny die cast Mercedes Gullwing for $10 at the swap meet and placed it in the driveway knowing she would ask. We both got a very good laugh out if it.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:16 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Sell the boats...use part of the funds to buy the paint and supplies, paint a room and throw in a set of new linens and you should be golden. A small price to pay.
Gameplan:

Keep boat---> Start using it more often
Buy lots of paint----> Paint every freakin wall my wife wants done
Cut down cherry tree---> Slowly work in to conversation the new garage addition
Paint more and maybe install the new kitchen counter she has wanted for past 6 years
Build garage addition
Buy Denny Akers 2006 997C4S
Old 06-03-2019, 09:19 PM
Harry Hood
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Classic case of a retaliatory purchase. Years ago, my father purchased the first NSX in my city. My mother didn't speak to him for a month until she got the beach house. That was a very expensive NSX.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:31 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 274 Posts

My wife and I bring up the D-word often. It's just not the divorce d-word. Lol. Fortunately, I have a habit of telling my wife about what I want in life, and what it's gonna take to get there. So that when it's achieved, she's cool with the things I want to do. She understand what I get from owning the car(s) and bike(s) and the other hobbies. She gets me. I really love her!

Cw
Old 06-03-2019, 10:01 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Gameplan:

Keep boat---> Start using it more often
Buy lots of paint----> Paint every freakin wall my wife wants done
Cut down cherry tree---> Slowly work in to conversation the new garage addition
Paint more and maybe install the new kitchen counter she has wanted for past 6 years
Build garage addition
Buy Denny Akers 2006 997C4S
Your painting and building plans don't leave a lot of time to use the boat you haven't had time to use without the other projects.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:05 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
In 22 years, neither my wife nor I have ever brought up the D-word in an argument. Throwing it around because of a car seems irresponsible--but then again, I don't know your friend's financial condition.
Yea it is always best never to introduce that word in a marriage especially during fights. My friend’s financial situation actually is not that bad. They have other issues as you can imagine. She is a bit of a control freak and extroverted while he is the exact opposite.

Quick Reply: Here's How you Discuss Cars w/Wife (997 content)