Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can ugly 3rd brake light be removed from spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 09:55 AM
gregmartin
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default can ugly 3rd brake light be removed from spyder?

For years I have been hesitating to buy a 987 Spyder due to the ugliness of the third brake light. I know it sounds crazy but I was on and off the fence about it being a dealbreaker. I finally purchased a 2011 Spyder yesterday. I know if I remove that ugly bar there will be holes to fill. I'm guessing I would need some sort of a plate. Also, I am aware that I will be driving with out a third brake light which is illegal. I don't care. Can anybody give me some guidance?
Old 05-30-2019, 10:04 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by gregmartin
For years I have been hesitating to buy a 987 Spyder due to the ugliness of the third brake light. I know it sounds crazy but I was on and off the fence about it being a dealbreaker. I finally purchased a 2011 Spyder yesterday. I know if I remove that ugly bar there will be holes to fill. I'm guessing I would need some sort of a plate. Also, I am aware that I will be driving with out a third brake light which is illegal. I don't care. Can anybody give me some guidance?
Given you have a 987, you’ll probably get more advice in that forum - https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-forum-125/
Old 05-30-2019, 10:30 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, if you want to remove safety features like your seatbelts, etc. that protect you personally that is fine. But removing the third brake light puts others at a higher risk of rear-ending you when you brake suddenly or unexpectedly - and obviously your car brakes better than most. I mean, it is not like people (in general) are particularly attentive when they drive, so why would you want to do something that makes it even more likely that they won’t notice you slowing down. And, in the unfortunate event you get hit from behind, I wonder if your insurer would have something to say about you intentionally removing a safety device that may have prevented the loss. I get the aesthics angle but, and I don’t know if this is bad or good, but we probably have an ethical duty to live by regulations that further the safety of other drivers. It is unlikely that we can pick and choose the ones (regulations) we agree with and not possibly suffer some consequence.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:52 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Not sure where you live but here, removing the CHMSL would be an automatic fail on your annual safety inspection.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:43 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

Given the times we've seen "got rear-ended" and how to handle the insurance and diminished value posts - you should be asking how to enhance or make your rear brake light MORE VISIBLE.

e.g. "OMG Sarah! I just smashed into a funny looking Volkswagen... BRB"
Old 05-30-2019, 04:21 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 786 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
Given the times we've seen "got rear-ended" and how to handle the insurance and diminished value posts - you should be asking how to enhance or make your rear brake light MORE VISIBLE.

e.g. "OMG Sarah! I just smashed into a funny looking Volkswagen... BRB"
It's KAREN, not Sarah!! lol.

Quick Reply: can ugly 3rd brake light be removed from spyder?