Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning inside of headlight lens?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 02:55 PM
adamo
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Cleaning inside of headlight lens?

Hi all,

Long time lurker, new 997 owner- have a new (to me) 997, and love everything about the car. I have a question about what appears to be light hazing/fogging on the inside of the headlight lens?
When I pour water on the outside of the headlight assembly, there's no change, so I believe it's on the inside of the lens.

I have wetsanded and polished the outside of many lenses on my BMWs, but never the inside. I did a quick search and didn't fiind too much. Is there a quick and easy way to clean this, or does this entail putting the assemblies in the oven, taking the units apart and cleaning from the inside?

Any suggestions? A number of cars I looked at while shopping seemed to have the issue, so hoping for some suggestions from those that have a fix? Thanks!

Last edited by adamo; 05-27-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:47 AM
adamo
Instructor

Nobody? Is this posted in the wrong section?
Old 05-27-2019, 11:58 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 409 Posts

I think for that, you’d have to bake and take it apart to get inside the lense.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:17 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 392 Likes on 256 Posts

I recall a thread where alcohol or some other liquid was put into the housing through the bulb opening, swished around and then removed. Worked well if I remember right.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:17 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by kellen
I recall a thread where alcohol or some other liquid was put into the housing through the bulb opening, swished around and then removed. Worked well if I remember right.
Whoever attempt this, please take some pics and make a DIY post. TIA.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:22 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
Whoever attempt this, please take some pics and make a DIY post. TIA.
Yeah that ^^^^^^ I was under the impression that the hazing on mine was an illusion caused by the tinted acrylic that was sprayed on them and that the hazing was a result of the light through the acrylic. If it is not and a simple liquid can fix it, lets do it..... so???????
Old 05-27-2019, 10:14 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 168 Posts

DO NOT PUT ALCOHOL INSIDE THE LENS. There was a rumor this worked. It doesn't. And if it touches the silver coated plastic it will eat the finish off. Ask me how I know...

I had the same thing. Polished the outside and they looked great but when the lights were on they looked to have a light haze. In my case there wasn't anything inside the lens that was causing it. I think its either a) normal, b) the light diffracting differently after being polished, or c) heat damage that cant be polished out.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:23 AM
adamo
Instructor

^^ I haven't polished the outside of the lenses yet, was hoping to find a fix for the inside of the lens so I could pull them off and do it all at the same time.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:35 AM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
DO NOT PUT ALCOHOL INSIDE THE LENS. There was a rumor this worked. It doesn't. And if it touches the silver coated plastic it will eat the finish off. Ask me how I know...

I had the same thing. Polished the outside and they looked great but when the lights were on they looked to have a light haze. In my case there wasn't anything inside the lens that was causing it. I think its either a) normal, b) the light diffracting differently after being polished, or c) heat damage that cant be polished out.
Sound advice from TheBruce. Do NOT put any solvents in there. You will ruin the reflectors and lose the function of your high beams. I also agree that the hazing on the inside can't be polished away. My money is on option C.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:20 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

From whatever I've read and seen, do not even touch the insides of the lenses. It is generally only the outside that is subject to hazing and yellowing etc.
I would suggest polishing the outside surface first and then check for hazing.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:45 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Was curious last night, searched a bit and came upon this video....Was hoping someone would bring this up. I thought the video was about the product and I could easily find it, but no, it's about that model MB.... who cares about the car, it's that product we want, but there's no way to identify it..... unless someone here knows about it?????

There goes my hopes up again ...🙄
Old 05-28-2019, 05:55 PM
adamo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steph1
Was curious last night, searched a bit and came upon this video....Was hoping someone would bring this up. I thought the video was about the product and I could easily find it, but no, it's about that model MB.... who cares about the car, it's that product we want, but there's no way to identify it..... unless someone here knows about it?????

There goes my hopes up again ...🙄
Thanks!

I'd much rather try this first, than bake open the lights and clean them that way. I have a whole complement of new bulbs for the light assemblies coming in- when they're here and time to swap, I'll polish the outsides first, and if the haze remains, move to cleaning the inside with the method shown in the MB video (will most likely use isopropyl alcohol and DIY microfiber cleaning kits).

I will try to take before, during, and after pics.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:02 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 168 Posts

I attached a youtube video of a guy who disassembled a 997 headlight so he could paint the inside of the lens black. He thought it looked cool. Jury is out.

Anyway, he put it in the oven to soften the adhesive, then pried off the lens and meticulously cleaned the adhesive off. He reattached with butyl tape.

Seemed like a major pain in the ***. Im all for somebody trying and writing up their steps. However im betting you have a 10% chance of success.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...nt-inside.html
Old 05-28-2019, 07:16 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adamo
Thanks!

I'd much rather try this first, than bake open the lights and clean them that way. I have a whole complement of new bulbs for the light assemblies coming in- when they're here and time to swap, I'll polish the outsides first, and if the haze remains, move to cleaning the inside with the method shown in the MB video (will most likely use isopropyl alcohol and DIY microfiber cleaning kits).

I will try to take before, during, and after pics.
Hey no prob, but if you really wanna thank me, just tell me what product that is and we're even 😎
Old 05-28-2019, 07:37 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 392 Likes on 256 Posts

Here is the thread about cleaning the inside. It was our own Petza so maybe message him.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ts-cloudy.html

Quick Reply: Cleaning inside of headlight lens?