Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would a 997.2 with bad rear strut be like to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 01:12 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Received 274 Likes on 141 Posts
Default What would a 997.2 with bad rear strut be like to drive?

Looking at a non-local 997.2 that is having its rear strut replaced under CPO. Need to test drive but wondered is it worth it to drive now with a bad strut? Or is that a waste of time until the strut is fixed? There are factors that would make being able to drive it now helpful in the buying process, but I am not sure I would gather anything from a test drive now with a bad strut. (I love cars but am not mechanically inclined so that is why I am reaching out). Thanks!
Old 05-23-2019, 01:37 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 982 Posts

2009 C2S 133K miles

When mine rears went....they leaked. However I didn't know about the leakage and did experience symptoms prior to the discovery. First, the car didn't bounce when pushing down on the car... not like the old days where you could count the bounces with a push. The car seemed solid. However, on the interstates, particularly on a streatch of the New Jersey turnpike, there are sections that kind of undulate. The car would kind of sway and bob. Kinda like making me seasick. It wasn't drastic, but I started putting my PASM into sport and that stopped it. These symptoms were not extreme at all and I really didn't think anything was wrong... I just blamed the highway. I took my car to get aligned at a speed shop and the guy came out and told me they were leaking... so he did not do the alignment... didn't charge me. I did the replacement myself, then took the car back to them for an alignment.

If you are worried about damage driving on a failing strut.... I wouldn't worry about it... IMO... although if you are hitting the bump stops.. well that is something different then.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-23-2019, 01:59 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Thanks! Yes what I am wondering is if I drove the car I am considering now, with a bad rear strut, would it be terrible to drive and likely be a waste of time until it is fixed? Would I think the car handled very badly, would it feel bad, and would I wonder if I should even buy it? I just don't know how much one bad strut that is leaking affects the overall driving experience. I was looking for comments to decide on travelling now to drive it with the bad strut.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:53 PM
chuuey
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

My rears were leaking when I purchased the car. Should be noted that it had PASM. I thought it rode harsh but handled well. I was not really a fan of PASM generally, however, so this may be a case of personal preference.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:06 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Yes this one has PASM as well. Assuming you fixed the leaking struts at some point after buying, is the car night and day different once fixed? Is it just harsher ride?
Old 05-23-2019, 04:09 PM
chuuey
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by nicholascanada
Yes this one has PASM as well. Assuming you fixed the leaking struts at some point after buying, is the car night and day different once fixed? Is it just harsher ride?
The car was night and day, but that's because I deleted PASM and put Ohlins R&T on. Ride is much more supple, responsive, and comfortable.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:40 PM
driggity
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What's the up side to driving it before the repair? I would wait. When I bought my CPO I drove it after the mechanical work was done and before they sent it out to get some touch-up paint and detailing done.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:53 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Originally Posted by driggity
What's the up side to driving it before the repair? I would wait. When I bought my CPO I drove it after the mechanical work was done and before they sent it out to get some touch-up paint and detailing done.
Trying to coordinate other items during the sale. Don't want to commit to those items until I know for sure the car is what I want. But unfortunately those items take weeks to arrive. So if I drove now with bad strut and liked everything overall, knowing strut is going to fixed during CPO, then I could get those items ordered. If I wait til CPO fixes strut, then just adds to the delay of getting the vehicle. I just wasn't sure how much a leaky strut would make to the drive. If it was dramatic, then yes I agree its a waste and I will wait til fixed. If not, I could then check it out overall and drive with the bad strut now and decide.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:03 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Define bad. If it's just leaking, it may make little difference. If it's completely toast, it will affect ride quality. But, not enough to matter. Porsche ride is not smooth, anyway. You don't want to be hitting the bump stops, though. Your driving habits and the roads you drive on matter, too.

Quick Reply: What would a 997.2 with bad rear strut be like to drive?