Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 3.6 C4 with Metal shavings in the oil. IMS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019 | 10:50 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

View these vids by Jake... he goes through the IMS failure stages. IMO, your car is repairable.... each day it gets worse and more expensive... You can contact Jake, he will give you the straight dope. The filter is doing its job. The vids below are Porsche Club Vids... then go to YouTube and search Rennvision (Jake's own channel).

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 05-22-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-22-2019 | 10:57 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Hmmm, I’d just buy a Fidelity third party warranty for around $3k, and keep driving the car. If something happens, you’re covered. Lol.

I don’t have any warning signs on my 997s (28k miles), but got a warranty not too long ago on it and they didn’t even ask to inspect it. Sold it to me over the phone.
Old 05-22-2019 | 11:01 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

Originally Posted by TKaufman50
[...]and the tech showed me metal shavings in the canister and the filter.
There are no hints, the engine (usually?) dies off without being stalled in case of a failure of the IMS. A restart is to be avoided under all circumstances...but one must think of it first!
Contrary to the hints given here, I would move the car a few 100 miles, change the oil again and check if the particles are magnetic. Otherwise, they will surely come from the engine but not from the IMS. If there are actually new particles, you have to open the engine and find the cause. Don't drive with a known defect!
My two cents

Old 05-22-2019 | 11:16 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

No one would give insurance without precise knowledge of the subject of the insurance if there were not a good business with a correspondingly low risk .... or if the guarantee conditions for the policyholder were correspondingly poor....
Old 05-22-2019 | 12:14 PM
Anesthesia911
Advanced

Wow!!, so sorry to hear this. This is just devastating to read. I always thought this was super rare rare things to happen on 06+ model year 911, and those that do occur are track and abuse cars. You mentioned this is mostly a weekend car and not driven much, are you original owner? This is just to understand and process this issue ims more, please share all the info with us if you don’t mind so we have a little more understanding for future members searching. Again super suck and so sorry to hear this happening to you.
Vince
Old 05-22-2019 | 12:14 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Bummer experience for your first 911. You've come to the right place for advice and there's no shortage of shoulders to cry on.

Personally I wouldn't put many miles on it, and would be keeping a close eye on oil through examination.
Old 05-22-2019 | 12:58 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

We need to know if the metal in the filter was ferrous (magnetic) or not. If magnetic, it's from the IMS bearing and you shouldn't drive it another mile. If non ferrous, it could be something like TheBruce had with milling remnants that finally became freed or could be cylinder wall scrapings from bore scoring, or pieces of a tensioner paddle, or other stuff.

If it were my motor, the next thing I'd do before driving it anywhere is pull the oil pan to see what other metal I see in there and then make a decision. Driving it another X number of miles is just going to do further damage to the internals of the motor.
Old 05-22-2019 | 01:11 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Yea @Petza914 is spot on there. I think pulling the pan is your first step. You don't need to risk driving and should be able to get some indication of what the indy saw.

I was just shocked (and suspicious) they didnt save the filter to show you, or at least take pictures. Thats EXTREMELY unprofessional in my book. Its like a doctor telling you he spotted a tumor in an X-ray but he threw away the X-ray so he cant show you, or get a second opinion. Stupid, just stupid. I know you said you worked with them for a while but I would take it to another shop.
Old 05-22-2019 | 01:18 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Like Petza said - have it towed and have your guy pull the oil pan and determine if ferrous or not and then you might have to pull the trans and visually inspect and do the clutch at that time if all good. It's a tough call as it may be nothing, something else, the IMS bearing going bad or bore scoring maybe (does it burn oil , soot on the tailpipes, clacking noise from the motor?) Not sure what else can be done.
Old 05-22-2019 | 04:52 PM
Arctic997
Advanced

Heed Petzas advice.
Old 05-23-2019 | 09:25 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boxtaboy
Hmmm, I’d just buy a Fidelity third party warranty for around $3k, and keep driving the car. If something happens, you’re covered. Lol.

I don’t have any warning signs on my 997s (28k miles), but got a warranty not too long ago on it and they didn’t even ask to inspect it. Sold it to me over the phone.
Save your money. It's a toss up if they would cover an engine failure from an IMS failure. Plus, typically there are minimum time and mileage requirements before coverage kicks in. Typically, claims greater than the amount paid for the policy will result in a denial and return of pro-rated premium in cases like this from what other people have experienced, so I'd bank the cost of the warranty towards rebuilding the engine.
Old 05-23-2019 | 09:34 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TKaufman50
s

Thanks. I guess after getting some advice I'm not sure if I should put any miles on it. This is my first 911 so I'm not familiar with any warning signs that might start before the IMS goes bad. Is there any dash lights or engine warnings that would start before the IMS gives way? Or am I rolling the dice and hoping for the best?

Thanks,

Tony
These do fail, however much less than the previous generation of single row bearings.

A photo would have been very useful to help identify exactly the issue. Typically shavings aren't IMS - glitter in the filter is typically what we see when an IMS starts to fail. Unlike the early dual row bearings, the later single row and larger 06-08 only have one row of *****. They can go from good to failed with no warning, so I would not drive the car, if your mechanic suspects it is the IMS. Adding a DOF won't save it either if it's already failing. If you drive the car to death, a rebuild could end up costing a lot more if you core isn't rebuildable and late M97 cores are very expensive, often as much as the cost of a rebuild.

I'd start with dropping the sump, if that wasn't already done. There will be more debris there of the same type as what as in the filter, and post pictures.

I have a 3.8 with bore scoring that failed 06-08 ims in our shop now.

Old 05-23-2019 | 10:47 AM
TKaufman50
7th Gear

Thanks, I am going to have it towed back to the shop and have them pull the pan and see. Being my first 911 I didn't even think to get pic's, I was shocked when he said IMS. I knew it was possible but was told it's a very low percentage. The Car is in immaculate condition so I really want to get it repaired and start driving it. I am the 3rd owner and bought it from my local Porsche dealer. I've had the car for about 2 years and only put about 2000 miles on it. Everything I read says that's the wrong thing to do. I was quoted 10K on the rebuild, obviously there's things that are found that can move that number around some. I did shop the car just thinking of maybe selling it and find another. I have a guy that will buy it "AS IS" for 27,500. When It's back in the shop I will be there taking picture and asking more questions. Thank You Again for all the advice!
Old 05-23-2019 | 12:01 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

10k rebuild? Was this from the indy who did your oil change? Now i'm even more suspicious.

The fact you bought if from a dealer gives you some potential leverage for a goodwill settlement from PCNA. I don't know the exact specifics of the settlement but I "think" they will cover 25%. I've also seen two cases (one at my local dealer and one here on RL) where the owner got lucky and had a strong advocate at their local dealer who made a case to PCNA the car was previously CPO, purchased from the dealer, maintained at the dealer for most of its life, etc, and they covered 100%. Miracles doo happen.

I would seriously consider towing it to the dealer you bought it from instead of your indy. Sorry for being a conspiracy theorist but $10k rebuilds and missing evidence just dont add up.
Old 05-23-2019 | 12:18 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBruce
10k rebuild? Was this from the indy who did your oil change? Now i'm even more suspicious.

The fact you bought if from a dealer gives you some potential leverage for a goodwill settlement from PCNA. I don't know the exact specifics of the settlement but I "think" they will cover 25%. I've also seen two cases (one at my local dealer and one here on RL) where the owner got lucky and had a strong advocate at their local dealer who made a case to PCNA the car was previously CPO, purchased from the dealer, maintained at the dealer for most of its life, etc, and they covered 100%. Miracles doo happen.

I would seriously consider towing it to the dealer you bought it from instead of your indy. Sorry for being a conspiracy theorist but $10k rebuilds and missing evidence just dont add up.
Agreed. A 10k rebuild would likely be just to address the IMS and nothing else, leaving future scoring and other potential problem areas unaddressed.

I don't expect any goodwill on a car that is over 10 years old. Those days are come and gone. Either plan on fixing it or sell it to someone with the issues disclosed so that it doesn't end up a 6k roller with a windowed engine due to a catastrophic failure.

If you do fix it right, you'll have a great car that will give you years of smiles with regular maintenance.

Quick Reply: 997.1 3.6 C4 with Metal shavings in the oil. IMS?