Sponsored by:

Difficulty putting 997.2 6spd into 1st gear sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 09:32 PM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Difficulty putting 997.2 6spd into 1st gear sometimes

I'm sure this has been covered but it's too general a topic to search.

2010 C4S.6spd
Since purchasing the car last fall I have experienced this difficulty quite often.
I'd say 15-20% of the time when I go to engage 1st gear from neutral (stop sign or red light) it just won't go into the gear.
I have to quickly put it in 2nd then shift up to 1st.
Usually that works but sometimes even 2nd is tough to engage so I have to release the clutch and re-engage the clutch and then it always goes into gear.

The former owner said it happened to him all the time as well and was told it was normal.
Just wondering if anyone experiences the same thing and if a shifter adjustment is all I need or if it's more serious.
I've seen posts about adjusting the cables using a little plastic tool from the dealer?

The car has 84000 kms (52,000 miles) on it and has an OEM shifter that the dealer modified to be a short shifter.
When it works it's perfect and smooth.

Going into the dealer on Thursday and since I still have Porsche Extended Warranty I want them to look into it further.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2019, 09:35 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Common... it can be fixed quite easily. Demand only PTX... it is what is prescribed in your manual... not Delvac, what they mostly use.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-gear-oil.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-14-2019, 10:53 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

As Bruce stated PTX can be purchased from Suncoast Porsche as they sell it in 1 liter bottles. You will need 3 of them. Really easy DIY. While you are doing that replace the drain plug with a magnetic one. The same drain plug is used for the oil pan so buy one of the magnetic LN engineering ones.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:11 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Common. Improved but not fixed with changing to PTX. Helped also with numeric shifter, new shift cables and motor mounts per some reports. Also better as the car warms up.

I would start with the PTX. Then go from there.

Good luck.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:34 AM
ahoy_mateys
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Just did PTX this past weekend and I can vouch for the the significant improvement.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:34 AM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

A great video on it:

Available if you need it: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/00004320420L.html
Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

Old 05-18-2019, 11:44 PM
nosnow
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a simular issue and I centered the shifter and took the cables out of the connectors and reset them. That did the trick for me, look for instructions on shift console replacement for instruction. Also check your motor/trans mounts as worn mounts may impact shifting.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:27 PM
world_famous
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just purchased the shift alignment tool from SunCoastParts. Will give this a try on Karen (06 997.1 C2S) and if she's still unhappy and asking to speak to a manager I'll do PTX.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:28 PM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 102 Posts

I keep forgetting to update this post.
I ended up ordering from Sunset as they were less expensive AND would ship to Canada (Suncoast would not ship fluids).
Had my dealer do the swap as the car was in for some warranty work.

The difference is NIGHT AND DAY.
Holy moly.
The car shifts much nicer now and I've only had the gear jam about 2 or 3 times in TOTAL in the past month plus.
So glad for this recommendation.
Everyone should do the PTX swap.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:04 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Recruiter_Bruno
I keep forgetting to update this post.
I ended up ordering from Sunset as they were less expensive AND would ship to Canada (Suncoast would not ship fluids).
Had my dealer do the swap as the car was in for some warranty work.

The difference is NIGHT AND DAY.
Holy moly.
The car shifts much nicer now and I've only had the gear jam about 2 or 3 times in TOTAL in the past month plus.
So glad for this recommendation.
Everyone should do the PTX swap.
You beat me to it!!! Was gonna recommend to change the fluid. I didn't have to fight for gears other than the fact that my whole life my jeeps had a 5spd transmission, and now I sometimes take half a second to realize which gear I am in, is this 4th or 6th or 3rd or 5th.... but that is only when I am not totally dedicated and my mind wondered😎 had the 911 for only 3 months, so by the end of the summer, this car will have reset my mind to 6spd.

With this said, I only did the full synthetic fluids (no additives) in both the transmission and 4wd system and found things to be smoother too.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:41 PM
HLCinCOU
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I read this thread yesterday and went "hey, I should find out if mine does that." I wouldn't have known, because my last car's first gear syncs went more or less completely out (when it was 15 years old and I'd been driving it like I stole it for 5 of them) and I had long ago developed the habit of just shifting into second as I came up to stop, then dropping it into first as I stopped, then pulling it into neutral. After that, first is completely available...hadn't even thought about it but I have been doing the same thing in the 911 this whole time.

Having now gone out with the express intention of seeing what happens if I don't do that...yep, it balks sometimes. Maybe 20% of the time or something. I guess I'll probably go ahead and put this fancy fluid in and see if that changes. But I'd also say that there are solid reasons to just do what I said above, even if the tranny isn't balking. You're just matching up all the spinny bits...even if your stuff is tip-top it will put less wear on it and keep it that way.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:46 PM
Carerra
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had those symptoms and had an air bubble in my clutch hydrolic line

it mostly fixed it. I also needed a new clutch and a change of fluid and it is perfecto

Quick Reply: Difficulty putting 997.2 6spd into 1st gear sometimes