Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a CPO Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019 | 03:07 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nick2413
I agree that CPO isn't risk free, but for every negative CPO experience there are thousands of positive ones. I also agree that CPO + PPI is the ideal way to buy a used Porsche, but each to their own.
Absolutely. I just notice that there are a lot of first time Porsche buyers who are under the impression that CPO = no issues, guaranteed. For the most part that's probably true but the story I referred to I think suggests that spending around $300 on a PPI even on a CPO car may not be a bad move. Especially considering what you're spending buying the car.
Old 05-11-2019 | 01:40 PM
nick2413
Instructor

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Absolutely. I just notice that there are a lot of first time Porsche buyers who are under the impression that CPO = no issues, guaranteed. For the most part that's probably true but the story I referred to I think suggests that spending around $300 on a PPI even on a CPO car may not be a bad move. Especially considering what you're spending buying the car.
Agreed, we're on the same page mate.
Old 05-12-2019 | 02:04 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
I believe the dealer pays Porsche around $3,000 to have it certified, but that is on top of the additional work and new parts required to have it meet the CPO requirements.
Thanks Thomas. I've heard similar numbers to that as well.

Karl.
Old 05-12-2019 | 04:07 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Only a Porsche dealer can CPO a Porsche car
Old 05-12-2019 | 05:30 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by mujeriega
CPO is worth it if you were looking for an extended warranty anyways. However, if you're like many of us who accept the risk / self-insure, then you would not want to pay this extra amount.

The main question is about who you are... someone who pays for insurance so that you have payment predictability or someone who doesn't and is willing to take a potentially large hit to either fix something or sell broken and buy a replacement.

Personally, I have been in the latter camp my whole life and not sure that is going to change just because I have Porsche.
But it's one thing to take that risk if you bought a used Honda or Toyota, quite another for a Porsche where the prices for parts and labor are extraordinarily high. I have never purchased a used car, but if I did I probably would pay the CPO premium. The only exception would be if I had a comprehensive record of the service history of the car. If I could verify that all of the recommended service was performed and there were no repairs that concerned me, I'd be willing to take the chance of not having a warranty.
Old 05-13-2019 | 12:51 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1
But it's one thing to take that risk if you bought a used Honda or Toyota, quite another for a Porsche where the prices for parts and labor are extraordinarily high. I have never purchased a used car, but if I did I probably would pay the CPO premium. The only exception would be if I had a comprehensive record of the service history of the car. If I could verify that all of the recommended service was performed and there were no repairs that concerned me, I'd be willing to take the chance of not having a warranty.
^ Agree. I have never purchased any kind of extended warranty for any vehicle before, but I was glad my turbo had CPO when I bought it.. A simple CEL light turned into a slipped intake cam sleeve and CPO covered the repair. Had I not been in CPO it would have been almost 9K at the dealer.
Old 05-13-2019 | 02:33 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fast1
Problem with the Porsches is that you can have a car maintained and serviced to exact specifications, all records available and still have an IMS failure out of nowhere on the 996's and 997's through MY 2008. That car would be worth tops $8,000. Or on the -09 and later cars the PDK can crap out even if perfectly maintained. Happened to me. Cost of replacement: $14,000. The chance of either IMS or PDK failure is minuscule but to those averse to risk of any kind still something to keep in mind when considering buying warranty or not. I know someone who self insured a 2007 C4S and had the IMS fail. His self insurance plan didn't quiet work out since there wasn't enough money in there for a new or rebuilt engine so he ended up selling the car as a roller for $7,500 if memory serves .

Quick Reply: Is a CPO Worth It?