Sway bar adjustment/Corner Balance

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 02:14 PM
battle_tested
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sway bar adjustment/Corner Balance

Hi everyone,
I'm looking at adjusting my rear H&R sway bar. Concern is that the car was corner balanced and I wasn't sure if stiffing the rear sway bar would change the balance off. I do have adjustable drop links.
How could I tell if I did have preload on the sway bar? I was told rear was disconnected during the corner balance but not sure if that links where adjusted to cut out sway bar preload.

Any feedback would be great.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:55 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Loosen one side of the adjustable drop links. With the wheels on the ground and pointing straight ahead, lengthen/shorten the drop link until you find no resistance in the sway bar. Then lock it down.

Moving holes on the sway bar is the same process - there should be no loading of the sway bar when the wheels are pointing straight. Move the drop link to the new sway bar mounting hole, then adjust the drop links' length until that spot of zero resistance in the sway bar is found with the wheels pointing straight.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:04 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

+1

This is going to be a short thread since semicycler provided perfect information in the first response.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:25 PM
battle_tested
Advanced

Adjusted the rear sway to it's stiffest setting. Now pulls to right! Does turn in quicker.

Had it on my quick Jack's and lowered rear on ramps to get the sway bar in it's normal state. Adjusted the links to a point with no resistance.

Only thing I can think causing the pull is since the car was corner balanced I didn't add weight to drive side while adjusting links. Or I didn't get the car set equally with the links.

Feedback guys?
Old 05-13-2019, 07:38 PM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes, add driver weight and recheck. The sway bar end link bolt that is disconnected should easily slide in and out of the hole in question. Otherwise, preload. Which will indeed push a car in a certain direction, especially if it wasn't present before you made the adjustment.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:17 PM
battle_tested
Advanced

I readjusted the rear links with my driver weight with all four wheels on ramps this time and still wonders right after letting go of the steering wheel.

I drove it and got suspension settled. That seemed to help some. Also rotated front tires side to side with no change. Track had some hard right turns so figured tires might be worn uneven with no change.

Going rotate the rears side to side and double check tire pressure with a gauge instead of the cars tpms later tonight.

From what I read alignment shouldn't be compromised as well the corner balancing from just adjustment of the rear sway bar.

Maybe with the rear sway bar at it's stiffest setting there is more pull from just slight suspension moment.
I just don't recall the car wondering to the right prior by just letting go off the steering wheel. Understand that the car is going track straight a 💯.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:34 PM
battle_tested
Advanced

Update
After doing a side to side swap of the front and rear tires car seems to track normal again. Going to chalk it up to wear of running a clockwise track event.

Asfar as adjusting rear sway to it's stiffest setting. I'm getting much sharper turn in. So need get back on track to see if it helps with some of the push I was experiencing. Normal street driving I can tell I'm over turning now and the rear feels more disconnected instead of in line with the front on turn in/ mid corner.

The front is a h&r and rear I believe a GT3 sway bar (three hole adjustment) part# 997 333 701 97. Anyone know what the spec is of the rear GT3 bar?
Old 05-17-2019, 07:41 AM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts

Ideally, on track you want the rear bar as soft/compliant as possible for rear grip, especially over bumps. If you ask most racers they would prefer no rear sway bar if possible, or as soft as humanly possible, hence why some will run a stock rear bar with a stiff front setting.
Running it stiffer will help with turn in etc, but is typically just a bandaid for not having enough camber in the front for proper grip and turn in while giving up other handling characteristics because of it.

Quick Reply: Sway bar adjustment/Corner Balance