Sponsored by:

Oil change question. 2009 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 01:23 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Oil change question. 2009 C4S

I drained the Mobil 1 super dry, and I’m up to 8.5 quarts of DI40. I’m reading the low box inside the fill zone. Should I continue to fill to middle box or call it a day?
Old 05-04-2019, 01:48 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Stark
I drained the Mobil 1 super dry, and I’m up to 8.5 quarts of DI40. I’m reading the low box inside the fill zone. Should I continue to fill to middle box or call it a day?
2009 C2S 133K miles

FWIW, my '09 can take 9 quarts or more... but, I can get flaky readings after an oil change. I recommend driving if for a few days then re-checking.... Let it be for now... One of my "to dos" if I had money and time fall from the sky, is to swap out that measurement device in the oil sump. It is really easy and can be accessed from underneath next to the drain plug... anywho... I am not saying yours is malfunctioning, but I can get flaky readings after a change.

More here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-9-quarts.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-04-2019, 02:18 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks Bruce! Week much better now. At risk of being flamed, I drained till it stopped dripping, then I got in, turned the key and immediately shut it off. It drained oil for another 5 minutes after that. It didn’t explode...

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 133K miles

FWIW, my '09 can take 9 quarts or more... but, I can get flaky readings after an oil change. I recommend driving if for a few days then re-checking.... Let it be for now... One of my "to dos" if I had money and time fall from the sky, is to swap out that measurement device in the oil sump. It is really easy and can be accessed from underneath next to the drain plug... anywho... I am not saying yours is malfunctioning, but I can get flaky readings after a change.

More here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-9-quarts.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-04-2019, 08:45 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

I have done 17 oil changes over 85K miles on my 2010 C4S PDK. Every time I've drained 7.5 quarts and added 7.5 quarts. Before and after measurements have always been one bar up from low.

I prefer low as to high to allow for thermal expansion (more than you would think) and because I believe it is easier on the AOS.

Hooked on Driving suggests you run low on a racetrack ... It's in their preparation advice.

I changed the oil a week ago but before adding the first 5 quart jug of Mobil One 0-40 I put 16 ounces of MoS2 into the jug. Then I put a half jug in after that, failing to account for the extra 16 ounces in the first jug. I ended up at the full bar.

In other words ... Be very cautious if you add more. You do not want to be over filled!!!

Then again, for reasons not proven (MoS2 is a magic elixir our oil level matters), my oil temperature now appears to be 20F lower than in the past.

Quick Reply: Oil change question. 2009 C4S