Sponsored by:

Strange tire pressure message

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 11:02 AM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Strange tire pressure message

So last night I noticed a funny sound coming from the tires as I drove and immediately suspected a nail so I checked the tire pressures and got this.

I pulled over at the next gas station (in a bit of a panic) and checked but the pressure was normal using my guage.

The noise wasn't going away so I pulled off the front passenger tire when I got home and found this new friend.

It's at a shop getting diagnosed if the tire can be saved (since it's outside the belt line) but why the low readings from the car's tire pressure sensors?
Old 05-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,151 Likes on 731 Posts

Those look like delta pressure readings rather than absolute. It looks like someone added air at some point or you elevated the temperature while driving.

Go into the TPMS settings. There is an option for either display.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:32 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

As Wayne said those are delta increases over the preset pressure baselines. TPMS did not report a puncture because the screw was tight and there was no measurable air leak.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:42 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

At least you installed the screw properly, by also using a washer
Old 05-02-2019, 08:28 AM
spur911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,, good one!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2019, 03:07 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 386 Likes on 275 Posts

Pull it and patch it from the inside and you are good to go ....no big deal ...
Old 05-03-2019, 03:17 PM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
At least you installed the screw properly, by also using a washer
That was pretty funny.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:24 PM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
Pull it and patch it from the inside and you are good to go ....no big deal ...
Well it was a little bit of a deal....

Took it to a local tire shop near my home.
They have been around a LONG time and are a pretty big shop but not a place that specializes in Porsche or any other sports cars.
After taking the wheel off the tire they came to the decision that they couldn't patch it from behind (too close to the edge) so they did a top plug and called me when it was done.
I wasn't happy with that and didn't really trust their judgement so I took it to my regular shop that does TONS of exotics/sports cars in Toronto.
Their head tire technician came out to talk to me and within 30 minutes he was done and the tire was patched from the inside and guarantees that the tire is just as strong as new.
Should have known better than to go to a "regular" shop.
Lesson learned. The patch was $40 and useless plug only cost me an extra $20.

I still can't figure out the Tire Pressure numbers.
The system is acting funny.
I got it to display the actual numbers but only on the right side of the car.
The left was blank.
Then they all it went back to the low numbers in the picture above.
Need to play with it some more...
Old 05-03-2019, 05:19 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

"I still can't figure out the Tire Pressure numbers.
The system is acting funny.
I got it to display the actual numbers but only on the right side of the car.
The left was blank.
Then they all it went back to the low numbers in the picture above.
Need to play with it some more..."

Those "gizmos" can be finicky for no apparent reason.
I always have issues with the front driver TPMS.
It is always the one off, the one that fails and gets replaced.
4 days ago, started the car, got a flat tire warning, where else?
Left front, of course. Stayed one day while I am mulling having it replaced.
Of course, the actual pressure was spot on...Next day star up same stuff.
Go into TMP stalk, reset load, type and whatnot other nonsense and then
Poof! Gone like it never was there. It's been a week. All is perfect. Go figure!
Those things are IMPO a total waste and another example of crap waiting to
fail.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

I recently completed a fairly short trip. Santa Barbara to Sacramento--about 360 miles each way. On Thursday I discovered (thanks to TPMS) a screw in the left rear. I pulled out my plugger kit and sealed it. On Saturday, when returning to SB I got another "flat tyre " warning--this time on the right rear. Fortunately, I had left my compressor and plugger kit handy so I wouldn't have to unload my trunk to fetch it from the bottom along with the tool package. Plugged it as well. The second 'diversion' only consumed 20 minutes--I'm getting better. The problem with these cars is the lack of a support structure out there's for weird tires and wheels. Sure, AAA can show up in thirty minutes--maybe, or you can handle it yourself, if it's as simple as yours.

For screws and nails like yours be a Boyscout. Be prepared. It will ultimately give you some added piece of mind. The newer plugger kits are vastly easier to use than the ones from years ago.

Here's how you do it, Hopefully, with the aid of your passenger, you have them look from behind between the fender extension and the road as you slowly roll the car forward or backward. Make a note with the valve stem where you started. If on your own, just roll it in smaller increments until you spot the culprit. Place the car in such a position where the hole is halfward between the roadway and the fender. For front tires, it may be easier by simply turning the wheel from lock to lock for the best access.

Get out out your plugger kit and compressor. Using an appropriate tool for the item in your tread, remove it. Have a set of duckbill plyers, or even a screwdriver handy. Once you remove it the pressure will come out fast. Don't panic! All normal.

Auger out the hole a bit more with the included rasp/awl. It will allow the plug to go in easier. The plugger kit is essentially a couple of parts. First, is what looks like an ice pick. Shove it into your tire at the hole. Seat it fully. Now, unscrew the pick and handle portion of that tool from the part that's you leave as a guide to the plugger itself. Prep your plugger tool with a new mushroom-shaped plug. It's got a light coat of silicon on it to glide in easier. The cap of the mushroom gets inserted into the tool in need such a way that the cap of the 'mushroom' appears a bit inverted. Now, screw on the plugger, onto the piece, the guide, that you left in the tire. It helps to have a small pair of plyers to rotate that guide as you hold the plugger tool itself. Due to space issues, working between the car wheelwheel and the ground, you can't just twist it on.

Now, pull the handle repeatedly on the plugger tool until you can not do it anymore. That means the mushroom thing--the plug--it in your tire. Pull the plugger tool out of the tire, noticing the plug stem being pulled out a bit so that it will extend well past the tread. Trim it off with the included razor blade. As you're doing this you can already start re-airing your tire with the compressor. Start the compressor (use the cigarette lighter--its always hot ) and monitor the pressure with the TPMS readout to fill it back up. Putting the air back in may take longer than the plugging job! You are good to go. When you get back to civilization, take the wheel into your preferred tire shop and let them patch it from the inside.

I'm in my 60s so if I can do this, anyone should be able to. BE PREPARED.

Quick Reply: Strange tire pressure message