Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Window Seal Bubbles 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019 | 03:36 PM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Default Rear Window Seal Bubbles 997.2

On our 2012 997.2, the rear window seal / gasket is bubbling or degrading in several locations. The bubbles are not sticky or goo-like. The front windshield gasket does not have such a problem. See attached photos for rear window seal / gasket degrading.

Our 997.2 is garaged and not subject to long periods in the sun. We hand wash, using the clear hot water three bucket method and microfiber towels, and use no soap on the exterior finish (the 997.2 does not get that dirty on the West Coast of Florida). If any dressing is put on the seal / gasket it is 303 Aerospace Protectant using a qtip.

There is a thread in the 991 Forum as to both the rear window and front windshield seal / gasket(s) actually deteriorating and turning into a black goo. The only 997.2 thread that I found addresses replacing the rear side window rubber gasket, which is riveted.

Has anyone else experienced this type of bubbling on the rear window seal gasket (I believe it is Porsche Part # 996-563-029-00, Back Glass Gasket)? I would guess that the rear glass is heat glued into place and the gasket seal is an appearance item; of course it could be glued in when the rear window is installed.

Upper rear window seal / gasket's bubbles.

Macro image of the rear window seal and bubbles.

Must the rear glass be removed to replace this gasket part, or is it similar to the 997.2 Targa, where the window gasket may to removed and replaced without removing the rear glass (another 997.2 thread)? Any experience with this issue, and what was done to replace the rear gasket / seal would be appreciated. Thanks, Type 2

Last edited by Type 2; 04-22-2019 at 02:37 PM. Reason: MSP, spacing
Old 02-17-2021 | 01:04 PM
ewc
Racer

Bumping this up, as I just noticed similar bubbling on the rear window seal of my 2010 997.2. Anyone have this issue addressed? Not sure if it's just cosmetic, or whether this will eventually result in leaking. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2021 | 03:26 PM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Default Reset Rear Window Glass

Originally Posted by ewc
Bumping this up, as I just noticed similar bubbling on the rear window seal of my 2010 997.2. Anyone have this issue addressed? Not sure if it's just cosmetic, or whether this will eventually result in leaking. Thanks.
Type 2 here (OP). The surround window seal (actually a 3/4 seal, it does not go across the window bottom) started to disintegrate around the bubbles. I did research as to glass technicians, and found one across town who does excotics (McClaren and Ferrari) coupled with Porsches. Ordered the backlite seal, 997-545-901-00, and picked it up at the dealer ($104.00 with PCA discount). Stopped at the glass shop and arranged for the technician to come to my home to remove and replace the rear window (backlite) with a new seal. Monday's are best for most on-call glass installers as that day is not scheduled by most dealers for glass repair. We did not want to take the Black Edition to the glass shop, as it is best not to drive the car for 24 hours in order for the sealant to full dry.

The window removal and re-installation at our home took about two (2) hours, and it looks great! Repair installation cost on the Gulf Coast of Florida was $250. After he completed the installation we asked if he was married and if his wife liked red wine; we gave him a bottle of Insignia's second label Cab. He had also just restored a 2003 BMW 530, and in talking with us commented he could not find a coffee mug that would fit in the middle console of the 530. We had a new BMW closed coffee mug on the shelf in our inside storage, which we gave him with the bottle of wine. I don't believe we will have a problem getting him back to our garage if we have a future glass problem on one of the other Porsches. Pleased on the Gulf Coast.

Your back glass seal in its present wrinkled condition should not leak, because in addition to the backlite "rubber" seal, 997 545 901 00, there is a sealant placed around the perimeter of the back glass, which fully hardens and forms a seal inside of the backlite "rubber" seal. If you are steady and good with a razor blade, I firmly believe you could trim the failing 3/4 rubber seal at the top edge of the window glass (you have nothing to lose and if you do a nice job of trimming the athestics should be fine), and have no water problem.
The following users liked this post:
ewc (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021 | 08:30 PM
ewc
Racer

Great info, thanks! I'm glad to hear that it's mostly a cosmetic issue. I don't think mine is as bad as yours was yet, so I'll see how things go and if the issue gets worse.

Originally Posted by Type 2
Type 2 here (OP). The surround window seal (actually a 3/4 seal, it does not go across the window bottom) started to disintegrate around the bubbles. I did research as to glass technicians, and found one across town who does excotics (McClaren and Ferrari) coupled with Porsches. Ordered the backlite seal, 997-545-901-00, and picked it up at the dealer ($104.00 with PCA discount). Stopped at the glass shop and arranged for the technician to come to my home to remove and replace the rear window (backlite) with a new seal. Monday's are best for most on-call glass installers as that day is not scheduled by most dealers for glass repair. We did not want to take the Black Edition to the glass shop, as it is best not to drive the car for 24 hours in order for the sealant to full dry.

The window removal and re-installation at our home took about two (2) hours, and it looks great! Repair installation cost on the Gulf Coast of Florida was $250. After he completed the installation we asked if he was married and if his wife liked red wine; we gave him a bottle of Insignia's second label Cab. He had also just restored a 2003 BMW 530, and in talking with us commented he could not find a coffee mug that would fit in the middle console of the 530. We had a new BMW closed coffee mug on the shelf in our inside storage, which we gave him with the bottle of wine. I don't believe we will have a problem getting him back to our garage if we have a future glass problem on one of the other Porsches. Pleased on the Gulf Coast.

Your back glass seal in its present wrinkled condition should not leak, because in addition to the backlite "rubber" seal, 997 545 901 00, there is a sealant placed around the perimeter of the back glass, which fully hardens and forms a seal inside of the backlite "rubber" seal. If you are steady and good with a razor blade, I firmly believe you could trim the failing 3/4 rubber seal at the top edge of the window glass (you have nothing to lose and if you do a nice job of trimming the athestics should be fine), and have no water problem.
Old 02-19-2021 | 10:56 AM
E39Nutz
Pro

Replacing that black gasket does not require removal of rear window. The gasket is just a cosmetic thing to cover the gap. You can pull that off by hand, remove any remaining residues and insert the new one in using a thing blade spatula. Have a spray bottle of clean water to aid that insertion of rubber into the gap. It is very easy to do. I did my BMW front windshield in less than an hour.
Old 04-25-2021 | 02:58 PM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by E39Nutz
Replacing that black gasket does not require removal of rear window. The gasket is just a cosmetic thing to cover the gap. You can pull that off by hand, remove any remaining residues and insert the new one in using a thing blade spatula. Have a spray bottle of clean water to aid that insertion of rubber into the gap. It is very easy to do. I did my BMW front windshield in less than an hour.
I have the same issue on my 2011 GT3 RS. My Porsche technician says that it can't be replaced without removing the rear window. Has anyone done it without removal of the window? How did it turn out? Looking at the part 997 545 901 00 it seem that the gasket tapes on to the glass from behind which is why you have to take the window out first. It would be nice if you don't have to cut the window out to replace it. Thanks for any feedback.
Old 04-25-2021 | 04:18 PM
E39Nutz
Pro

I was wrong about the gasket. It does require removal of rear window. Pretty involved and I would leave it to the pros if the bubbling issue bothers you. I looked up the workshop manual, not something I would want to tackle myself. Risk of breaking the rear glass would end up costly more than the money saved.
Old 04-25-2021 | 04:28 PM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

Thanks for clarifying.
Old 04-26-2021 | 10:57 AM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Default Reset Rear Window Glass

Originally Posted by E39Nutz
I was wrong about the gasket. It does require removal of rear window. Pretty involved and I would leave it to the pros if the bubbling issue bothers you. I looked up the workshop manual, not something I would want to tackle myself. Risk of breaking the rear glass would end up costly more than the money saved.
I am the OP. Thanks E39Nutz for correcting your assertion based another marque's construction. My post of 2-18-2021 gives Porsche owners the information needed if their car's rear window gasket starts to bubble and disintegrate. I priced the rear window for my 2012 997.2 at the time the window was removed and reset with a new gasket. The price for new OEM Porsche glass was just over $400. Find a glass technician who has preformed a 997 rear glass window replacement if you are concerned about optics, and replace the gasket. I am pleased with my 997.2's gasket replacement, and I don't have to "suffer" disintegrating gasket rubber on the glass.
Type 2
The following users liked this post:
ewc (04-27-2021)
Old 06-18-2021 | 03:44 PM
Psychobiology
3rd Gear

Last edited by Psychobiology; 06-25-2021 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 06-19-2021 | 02:36 PM
Psychobiology
3rd Gear

Thanks OP for the information. I just noticed similar bubbling on the rear window gasket of my 2012 997.2.

Does anyone know if the replacement sealing backlite is made of a different material so this problem does not reoccur?

Does anyone have any glass tech recommendations in Orange County, CA?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Rear Window Seal Bubbles 997.2