Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about selling and I have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 07:47 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Thinking about selling and I have a few questions.

I'm thinking about selling this car. Is it worth it with all of the problems I hear about scammers, tire kickers, and generally non-serious inquiries. What would be a reasonable amount to expect in a private sale versus how much should I expect if I trade it in?

It has the GT2 carbon fiber buckets, I love them and I know they are worth a good bit when sold outside of the car but how would they affect private sale/ trade in value?

As for condition...I am the 2nd owner. The original owner lowered the car and added a decent sounding exhaust. It has 39K miles. It has some stone chips where these cars usually get them. The cover piece of the volume **** came off ($60 to replace the pair just haven't got around to it since it works just fine). And there is a small chip in the windshield just above the wiper. It is not a crack so it cannot spread and it is too low to be seen from inside the car which is why I haven't done anything about it yet. Is it worth it to address these items before trading the car in?

I used the VIN# to get a summary of the car for advising purposes, it is reasonably close. The car does have the sportier wheel with the actual paddles not the weird PDK buttons. The picture was just on this hard drive, It is raining so I can't go out and take one today.

Last edited by BrakingBad; 04-18-2019 at 04:30 PM. Reason: added some spacing to make it easier to read
Old 04-13-2019, 09:00 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

I’d say low to mid $50s private sale. Dealer will give you peanuts, maybe $40k. For private party sale expect any issues not addressed to be found during PPI and negotiated for. I would address them because not addressing them causes people to think “what else wasn’t addressed?”

Buckets? Some like them, some wants 18 ways.

Last edited by Chris M.; 04-16-2019 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Tag deleted as requested
Old 04-14-2019, 12:14 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,195 Likes on 2,183 Posts

I would not fix the issues prior to sale. You have a well optioned car and I would expect that you could get mid $50s out of private party, that is after negotiation. Maybe a bit more since you have buckets. I cannot imagine a dealer trying to make $15k on a car, that is in the $50k range that they would be selling it for. I would say they are going to give you mid to upper $40s if you are trading. KBB is not an accurate representation for trade in value on Porsche's, but I would at least go there as a starting point and not want to accept anything less than that. MyCarfax which is a free service will also give you trade in and private party value.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:36 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

I think they're right. Low to mid 50s without a warranty to go with it. You might net more replacing and selling the seats separately.

No one expects 40,000 mile cars not to have a little evidence of use here and there.

What will you get to replace it.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:40 AM
drmain1
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

here in LA 997.2 there is a C2S with 80k miles for $43k and a C2S with 50k miles is going for $45k so certainly $48-53k would be reasonable.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:45 AM
motown12
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man that is a beautiful car! I'm looking at a 2009 C2S with 42k miles on it. It's in absolutely pristine condition, been meticulously maintained, is heavily optioned and was 117K new. If I had bought it new I literally would have checked off the exact same options as the original owner did. The only thing missing is the sports exhaust. Seller is asking $55k. Hope it helps.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:17 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
I think they're right. Low to mid 50s without a warranty to go with it. You might net more replacing and selling the seats separately.

No one expects 40,000 mile cars not to have a little evidence of use here and there.

What will you get to replace it.
I bought a warranty shortly after I acquired the car. Other than peace of mind, it was a total waste of thousands of dollars. I never had an issue. For all services, The dealership told me what maintenance issues were due and I had them perform them.

As for what's next, I'm still undecided. I have too many cars. I have a daily driver that is being returned when the lease is over and if I sell this porsche, I'll have more room. I did drive a mercedes today that I liked for a new daily.

Thanks everyone for your responses so far.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:29 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

If your selling, get a safety tag on the car. Then she's ready to sell. If buyer wants PPI then ask for deposit and you will fix all concerns to a max cost of $ .....
Old 04-16-2019, 08:33 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mumbles
If your selling, get a safety tag on the car. Then she's ready to sell. If buyer wants PPI then ask for deposit and you will fix all concerns to a max cost of $ .....
What is a safety tag?
Old 04-17-2019, 04:47 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 119 Posts

Fix the issues. It shows that you care about the car and not pinching pennies.

Pricing, hard to say unless seeing in person but I would assume mid $50s if well maintained. I would be surprised by lower given BAT results lately but who knows.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:49 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 119 Posts

Oh and while I'm not a huge fan of PDK the sport design paddles are a great upgrade that will make the car even more attractive.

You should list for $58K and leave a little wiggle for negotiation.

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw latest BAT auction. List it at $65K lol.

Last edited by SpeedyD; 04-17-2019 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Saw latest BAT auction result!
Old 04-17-2019, 11:09 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

I would also say to fix the issues. It removes any lingering doubts about how you maintained the car... if there were any.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:23 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

To be clear, the question of replacing the windshield and radio **** (not sure anything can be done about stone chips except a respray) is about trading the car in on a new car, not selling privately. Will I see a greater trade in value after spending to replace these items or is the final net value a wash?
Old 04-19-2019, 06:41 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BrakingBad
To be clear, the question of replacing the windshield and radio **** (not sure anything can be done about stone chips except a respray) is about trading the car in on a new car, not selling privately. Will I see a greater trade in value after spending to replace these items or is the final net value a wash?
wash
Old 04-19-2019, 07:03 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I would not fix the issues prior to sale. You have a well optioned car and I would expect that you could get mid $50s out of private party, that is after negotiation. Maybe a bit more since you have buckets. I cannot imagine a dealer trying to make $15k on a car, that is in the $50k range that they would be selling it for. I would say they are going to give you mid to upper $40s if you are trading. KBB is not an accurate representation for trade in value on Porsche's, but I would at least go there as a starting point and not want to accept anything less than that. MyCarfax which is a free service will also give you trade in and private party value.
Trade-in price is meaningless unless a discounted price has already been negotiated on the new car. In my area dealers buy cars at wholesale which is at least 25% below retail.So if a dealer feels he can sell a car at $55K, he'll offer around $40K.

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling and I have a few questions.